Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2021, 01:23 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I hate threads like this one. Someone buys a new Thor and has problems with the quality of the build. They post to this forum to maybe get some help or at least some commiseration. But no, the members of this forum blame the new owner for not understanding that they are supposed to accept Thor's lack of quality, suck it up and just mover on. They are told that after a purchase of say, $125,000.00, they are just supposed to accept that their new toy is nothing but a rolling erector set. They are told to drop it off at the dealer and let it sit for months waiting on warranty authorization and repair. Or told to spend thousands of dollars and drive it back to the factory for repair. Yes, the factory that couldn't get it right in the first place. Like momma used to say, if you have nothing constructive to say, keep your fingers off the keyboard.

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:59 AM   #22

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I hate threads like this one. Someone buys a new Thor and has problems with the quality of the build. They post to this forum to maybe get some help or at least some commiseration. But no, the members of this forum blame the new owner for not understanding that they are supposed to accept Thor's lack of quality, suck it up and just mover on. They are told that after a purchase of say, $125,000.00, they are just supposed to accept that their new toy is nothing but a rolling erector set. They are told to drop it off at the dealer and let it sit for months waiting on warranty authorization and repair. Or told to spend thousands of dollars and drive it back to the factory for repair. Yes, the factory that couldn't get it right in the first place. Like momma used to say, if you have nothing constructive to say, keep your fingers off the keyboard.

NOBODY says any of those things! The posts you “hate” are from folks who already have their coach. They’re surprised and frustrated and most of us here simply are giving them their realistic options. They need to get it fixed, one way or another and they need to be encouraged to maintain a sense of humor in the meantime.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:59 AM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Maybe go back and read the thread. The OP asked is his experience was normal for buying a MH - he found out that it was (unfortunately) and was given some advice on how to handle it.

He wasn't asking for help with his problems but got some anyway.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:58 AM   #24

Model: Ace 30.2
State: California
THOR #9323
Couldn't agree more. I don't give a shit how much money you spend. It's suppose to work without any issues. Entry level MH or not. 99% of the dealers dont' give a shit either after they cash your check!
Old 11-15-2021, 04:35 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletskop View Post
Couldn't agree more. I don't give a $#@^ how much money you spend. It's suppose to work without any issues. Entry level MH or not. 99% of the dealers dont' give a $#@^ either after they cash your check!
I am sure I disagree with you more than what you couldn't agree more with

Of course I have only written one check for an RV that Dealer cashed and that dealership La Mesa RV in Port St Lucie, Florida has been nothing but awesome two years after the fact. My sales lady is still there and she is one of kind. Got me to fly half way across the country and she and her Dealership did not disappoint.

Another Dealership McClains RV in Texas may be even better as their service 2years running has been nothing but impeccable. Sure they have to get warranty items approved, have parts placed on order, need to schedule work around their new sales customers, but they have always done what they say they will do.

You say 99% don't care, I am sure some don't, but doubt very seriously if it is anywhere near that high, unless you suggest I just happened to strike gold or win the lottery twice?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:04 AM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Actually, the only question the OP asked is "is this an anomaly?"... to which the truthful, to the point answer would be a simple "no".

Many posters have expounded their answers to clarify. I see nothing wrong with that, especially when examples are given.

In my opinion, no one is required to blindly accept poor workmanship. It is a CHOICE one makes. Having an expectation of a certain level of quality is justified.

If a manufacturer gave specific low expectations... like "expect the bunk-over on your super C to fail within 6 months", that would help with informed choices. BUT THEY DON'T. There is NOTHING to give a customer a reason to expect anything less.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm glad to read that you are already well on your way to getting the issues worked-out.
Welcome aboard!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Actually, the only question the OP asked is "is this an anomaly?"... to which the truthful, to the point answer would be a simple "no".

In my opinion, no one is required to blindly accept poor workmanship. It is a CHOICE one makes. Having an expectation of a certain level of quality is justified.

If a manufacturer gave specific low expectations... like "expect the bunk-over on your super C to fail within 6 months", that would help with informed choices. BUT THEY DON'T. There is NOTHING to give a customer a reason to expect anything less.
But is it an anomaly for all? And if NOT; why not?; it is the same Manufacturer that makes the coaches.

If you go back to OP's original post and carefully look at the issues, they appear to me as the type of things that would normally be caught during the PDI. I don't agree with statement that an owner " is required to blindly accept poor workmanship" If there is an anomaly; it may be failure of some owner to fully conduct PDI before buying.

I can say this because I had to walk away from brand new 2018 ACE 29.3 and a 2019 Windsport 27B. Ironically a faulty ladder was one of the items on the Windsport 27B that I found. The Dealer upfront told me they could not or would not repair. I walked, I was not required to do anything, I got all my money back (deposits). Had I bought either of the two, it would not have been the end of the world. Sometimes you buy things at such a good deal, you accept the responsibility of what is required to get it fixed to your liking. Had I bought either of those coaches and expected some Thor Dealer to fix all of those things, or put to them on social media blast, I would actually be part of why the RV industry in general is in a spin cycle. The only way to make it stop, is to don't buy junk you don't want to fix Caveat Emptor as been around a long time and buying an RV does not give one a free pass
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The only way to make it stop, is to don't buy junk you don't want to fix Caveat Emptor as been around a long time and buying an RV does not give one a free pass
My thoughts exactly. People keep asking why the industry is allowed to continue with their lack of quality control. They will continue to do it up to the point that it hurts their bottom line.

As for the op, congrats on the 29m. Several of us have them on here. Mine is a 2020. We really enjoy ours.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #30
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
But is it an anomaly for all? And if NOT; why not?; it is the same Manufacturer that makes the coaches.

If you go back to OP's original post and carefully look at the issues, they appear to me as the type of things that would normally be caught during the PDI. I don't agree with statement that an owner " is required to blindly accept poor workmanship" If there is an anomaly; it may be failure of some owner to fully conduct PDI before buying.

I can say this because I had to walk away from brand new 2018 ACE 29.3 and a 2019 Windsport 27B. Ironically a faulty ladder was one of the items on the Windsport 27B that I found. The Dealer upfront told me they could not or would not repair. I walked, I was not required to do anything, I got all my money back (deposits). Had I bought either of the two, it would not have been the end of the world. Sometimes you buy things at such a good deal, you accept the responsibility of what is required to get it fixed to your liking. Had I bought either of those coaches and expected some Thor Dealer to fix all of those things, or put to them on social media blast, I would actually be part of why the RV industry in general is in a spin cycle. The only way to make it stop, is to don't buy junk you don't want to fix Caveat Emptor as been around a long time and buying an RV does not give one a free pass
Well said. When we bought our latest rig we walked away twice and when we walked the second time we gave them 48 hours to get it right or the deal was off. When we returned it was right and they also presented us with a check for a campground deposit we lost because the coach wasn’t ready at the first PDI. We refused to accept their assurances that they would fix it after sale and we refused to sign anything until it was right. We did have one issue that required a conference call with Entegra and a factory service appointment before we signed the purchase offer.

The buyer is in control, not the dealer and it is the buyer that decides if they relinquish that control to the dealer.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:

Yes... the BUYER is in control - AS I alluded to in the first two sentences in the above statement.

The customer has the FINAL say - Buy or NOT buy. PERIOD.

BUT - in the last sentence (Having an expectation of a certain level of quality is justified) - EVEN AFTER A SUCCESSFUL PDI - it's a crap shoot. How is the customer able to tell that EVERY CRITICAL component of the underlying structure is sound? This is where the "expectation of quality" comes into play.

I was very fortunate that the motorhome I purchased had no major flaws. Loose trim, crooked outlets, sloppy stapling job... sadly, I expected those. There have been no structurally caused leaks and the Schwintek system has worked as expected. Being mechanically inclined and comfortable with trouble-shooting procedures - I'm a happy camper.

Question is... are RV manufacturers being unscrupulous by not offering much longer warranties to cover (often very expensive) flaws which are impossible to detect in a thorough PDI? Flaws which seem to be more common in current random sampling of today's units?
Old 11-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Question is... are RV manufacturers being unscrupulous by not offering much longer warranties to cover (often very expensive) flaws which are impossible to detect in a thorough PDI? Flaws which seem to be more common in current random sampling of today's units?
Manufacturers provide a longer warranty on the structural which is the one area in which they have total control. In other areas their overall covers a longer period than many component warranties. Some manufacturers also have longer warranties but you will pay more for those rigs.

Is it right maybe yes, maybe no.

Also the number of users complaining on forums is a minuscule drop in the barrel of overall units sold. We don’t know the actual number of “flaws which seem to be more common”.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since it's your money: You're the one paying for the band; so you get to pick the music...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:18 AM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletskop View Post
Couldn't agree more. I don't give a #@%$ how much money you spend. It's suppose to work without any issues. Entry level MH or not. 99% of the dealers dont' give a #@%$ either after they cash your check!
I think even you will get a chuckle out of this but look what I received today, or actually this morning from my RV Dealer two years after the sale.

You can't make this stuff up. But make no mistake those guys in Florida at that location in Port St Lucie got my respect. The more I read; if the the real world was that bad, I would be afraid to buy from anyone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	La Mesa Cares.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	34819  
Old 11-16-2021, 11:36 PM   #35

THOR #25067
I genuinely appreciate everyone's input. This was a new experience for me and I feel I didn't do enough preparation. Lessons learned I guess. We took our first trip in it last week and had a great time. I am hopeful that I can get our issues fixed under warranty or fix them myself. I don't regret making this decision for my family I just regret the time crunch I made it in. Thanks everyone.

https://tjbryant.com

2022 Windsport 29m
tjbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:56 AM   #36

THOR #19102
Quote:
I think even you will get a chuckle out of this but look what I received today, or actually this morning from my RV Dealer two years after the sale.

You can't make this stuff up. But make no mistake those guys in Florida at that location in Port St Lucie got my respect. The more I read; if the the real world was that bad, I would be afraid to buy from anyone else.
I might be mistaken but two years is the standard trade it in time. Might have something to do with it. Just saying.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:30 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
I might be mistaken but two years is the standard trade it in time. Might have something to do with it. Just saying.
It might be?; it was just so coincidental to get the email on same day as a post that I had just happened to be commenting that some dealers do care.

FWIW, if you think that is the only or first email I have received from them in 2 years; you would be mistaken. They seem to always have something going on to keep engaged.

Look La Mesa RV is very large company and I am sure they get their fair share of complaints, but my experience has been nothing but positive and they have kept in contact with me. They have done everything they said they would do and more. I don't view myself as anything special and certainly not one of their really big money spending customers, so I figure they at least try to treat everybody the same way; but as you know, some people cannot be pleased.

I credit a GM at La Mesa RV to help me get a relationship with a local dealer to do a few warranty items that I found after my 15 hour trip from Florida back to Texas. Now my local Dealer is Gold, short the Sumo Springs & Safe T Plus, my RV has never been serviced by anyone else but Local Dealer. Both of the dealers that I am crowing about are after the sale and care, they do what they say, but I must listen and/or read what they say. Now if the topic switches to Presale Dealers that only want you to buy what they have on the lot and not ask questions about why their coach is not perfect, or can't pass a simple PDI, I can go on for days about my horror stories. i.e. at one RV Dealership in Texas; I had my Salesman's Manager (the Sales Manager) stand over me while my wife was sitting next me and he says "look Mr. Koldman; we don't make the RVs, we just sell them, do you want to buy this coach or not; because we got people that do" And you know what; he was right. Every coach that we walked away from, and every coach that failed our PDI, someone came along and bought it. My money says many may have been on this site perplexed about Dealers not caring because suddenly they don't understand why the Dealer wouldn't fix all of their problems.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:45 AM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbryant View Post
I genuinely appreciate everyone's input. This was a new experience for me and I feel I didn't do enough preparation. Lessons learned I guess. We took our first trip in it last week and had a great time. I am hopeful that I can get our issues fixed under warranty or fix them myself. I don't regret making this decision for my family I just regret the time crunch I made it in. Thanks everyone.
That is the right attitude. I bet they fix everything you identify under warranty or at the least Thor will ensure it gets fixed. Go through everything with a fine tooth comb, make a list, check it twice, get it to a Dealer and see how far they go with resolutions. Work with Thor on any balance. What remains, just get it fixed and fugggetabout it; enjoy the coach.

FWIW; I actually wanted a 29M Windsport but it was too long to fit in my driveway. I then tried to get the 27B; but never could get issues worked out with dealer. Twice on this site I can out crowing I had just bought a new RV, and twice I had to walk due to PDI issues. It was hard; but as my Granddad use to say about life "it is hard but fair"

Good luck
Old 11-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #39

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
[QUOTE=Lt Keefer;321944]I hate threads like this one. Someone buys a new Thor and has problems with the quality of the build.

Sometimes it's the keyboard warriors and some who forgot they were young dumb and inexperienced once. Me I wish I was born with all the knowledge that some here think they have.

With the RV purchasing frenzy of the last couple years +-, this type of thread is more common and will continue to be. The "new to RVing" are finding their purchase came with baggage of the non traveling type and the "experienced" here jump on them. But it does seem that a lot of newly adventurous people here are extraordinarily naive and unprepared for their expensive toy.

I do believe that some 1 time posters here jump out with a whining post and haven't read any prior posts. Nature of the beast.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #40
Site Team

THOR #1469
FWIW there is a RV and Campers for Dummies book that is sold at Amazon and Target.

There is also a ton of other info available but it does require someone to invest one minute of time to type RV Beginners Guide into a search engine.