Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2022, 10:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #15584
No parts for repair

We took our 2018 in for repair of our awning. It is still under warranty and the dealership found the awning motor was out. That was August 2, 2021....it is now January 20, 2022. We still do not have our RV back and we get a call EVERY week saying the part is on back order!!! really!!! Is Thor still making motor coaches? Could they not send the part from the factory??? we cancelled several trips at the end of summer 2021 thinking we would get the RV back and could get finish out the summer, but NO. so we wound up cancelling the trips... we are ready to make reservations for the upcoming spring and summer and its not looking too promising we will get a part...Has anyone else had this issue with repairs!!
a side note: we also had an issue with the electric jacks leveling system. Basically would not level. The dealership says nothing wrong. Now I'm afraid when we do pickup our RV and test the Jacks they may not work...
happy camping!!

Old 01-20-2022, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Wow! Deja Vu This is almost a duplicate of a thread started here in the last week regarding awning parts availability.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You really really cancelled multiple trips because you couldn't use the awning?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Rv+awning...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Are any of these the motor you need?

Thor doesn't the slightest remote thing to do with your 4 year old RV.
Change shops today.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:09 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Call "etrailer". They may have it. I've ordered several awning parts from them over the past couple years.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #5

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Try going on line for your part. A lot of RV repair centers use one supplier. They normally wont look around.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynedhill View Post
We took our 2018 in for repair of our awning. It is still under warranty and the dealership found the awning motor was out. That was August 2, 2021....it is now January 20, 2022. We still do not have our RV back and we get a call EVERY week saying the part is on back order!!! really!!! Is Thor still making motor coaches? Could they not send the part from the factory??? we cancelled several trips at the end of summer 2021 thinking we would get the RV back and could get finish out the summer, but NO. so we wound up cancelling the trips... we are ready to make reservations for the upcoming spring and summer and its not looking too promising we will get a part...Has anyone else had this issue with repairs!!
a side note: we also had an issue with the electric jacks leveling system. Basically would not level. The dealership says nothing wrong. Now I'm afraid when we do pickup our RV and test the Jacks they may not work...
happy camping!!
Thor MC does not usually carry replacement parts for repairs. Thor MC only carries complete assemblies in stock. If your repair place (dealer) chooses to order a repair part from Thor MC, TMC then orders the part from the original equipment manufacturer. There should be a list of all installed equipment on the inside of the bedroom closet door. The list is there to felicitate parts ordering from the correct manufacture. Thor MC does not warranty complete components installed in the coach which are warrantied by the original equipment manufacturer. Sure Thor MC will ship the dealer a new patio awning if it is required for repair (assuming it is in stock). The dealer must then return the faulty awning to Thor MC for credit and Thor will then collect the warranty for the OEM. It is so much easier if the dealer will order the patio awning or parts required from the manufacturer.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
happy camping!!
I would look up your awning model number and see if the part is available and install it yourself or take it anywhere but where it is now. I never leave my RV at the dealer until they have the part and can work on it. If that part isn't available and you really want the awning have it replaced with a new one
Old 01-21-2022, 05:08 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
People should understand that once you purchase your coach, Thor does not give a damn about you. Stop expecting them to help with anything after the sale. If they do help, you were lucky. Same thing applies to most dealerships. Any way, there are a lot of awning motors available on Amazon. So if they are there, a good service tech from your local area could get you up and running.

A different lesson to learn is that you have to learn what types of RV malfunctions require the RV to be taken out of service and which types are only an inconvenience. I would never think to cancel a trip because the awning wouldn't extend or was balking during it's travel. I would just unplug it and continue on until I could get it fixed. The same thing applies to a myriad of items in my coach. For me, as long as the chassis was safe to operate at highway speeds, I would and do and have taken it out for use.

If my refrigerator was broken, I would use a cooler. Broken toilet, no problem I would use campground facilities. The list could go on but you get the point. People need to stop letting the RV industry ruin their fun.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #9
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor MC does not usually carry replacement parts for repairs. Thor MC only carries complete assemblies in stock. If your repair place (dealer) chooses to order a repair part from Thor MC, TMC then orders the part from the original equipment manufacturer. There should be a list of all installed equipment on the inside of the bedroom closet door. The list is there to felicitate parts ordering from the correct manufacture. Thor MC does not warranty complete components installed in the coach which are warrantied by the original equipment manufacturer. Sure Thor MC will ship the dealer a new patio awning if it is required for repair (assuming it is in stock). The dealer must then return the faulty awning to Thor MC for credit and Thor will then collect the warranty for the OEM. It is so much easier if the dealer will order the patio awning or parts required from the manufacturer.
If dealer would order the patio awning or parts required from the manufacture, the dealer then would not be reimbursed for the labor. They must go to THOR do get permission to do the work and order the part. You want to pay cash, they get the part through THOR! Go to an independent and pay cash, they have the choice of where to purchase. If the independent's work is covered by THOR, then they too will have to go through THOR.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #10

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
If dealer would order the patio awning or parts required from the manufacture, the dealer then would not be reimbursed for the labor. They must go to THOR do get permission to do the work and order the part. You want to pay cash, they get the part through THOR! Go to an independent and pay cash, they have the choice of where to purchase. If the independent's work is covered by THOR, then they too will have to go through THOR.
I was just looking at the op post and his unit is almost 4 years old so I figure it's the extended warranty. With an extended warranty like I have the warranty people would just order the part and install it, not go through Thor. Am I wrong? If I buy a car shield warranty and the wiper motor goes bad the repair shop would call up the auto parts store and have them send the motor out not GM
Old 01-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #11

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
The motorhome is pushing five years old.
Thor does not sell extended warranties.
This is not a Thor thing.
It hasn't been a Thor thing for at least three years.
Even then, it was an awning vendor thing.

If by some oddest of odd chances it were a Thor thing:
Ponderance is required of $63 part vs months at the dealer and if months at the dealer is worth less than $63 out of pocket vs the religious fervor of making the warranty 'pay'.

The op has a totally ridiculous scenario entirely.
Every step if it.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:30 AM   #12
MLP

THOR #17478
If they purchased an extended warranty from the dealer, a lot of them require you to take it to that dealer so long as you are within twenty miles from that dealer. If it has been purchased separately, then they can go to any independent RV repair service that will work with that policy. If they took it to the dealer, even though they did not purchased it at the dealer, and the dealer will work with the issuing policy company, but they will still go through THOR for the part number and ordering.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:35 AM   #13

THOR #13932
Thats a squat load of
'Ifs'
To bet a $64 part against an 8 month shop stay and cancelling multiple trips.

We're back to the religion of
Making the warranty pay regardless of cost to self.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Beware of the dealer.

I took my rig in to the dealer on Sept 28 for a slide problem, kitchen drawer slide lock issue, and side camera not working.

Although my dealer assured me all parts were ordered and warranty work approved by Jayco, they lied through their teeth. They dealer did not submit the approval request for the slide and associated parts request until Dec 19. They did not submit the camera requests until Jan 4.

I caught them by talking to Jayco myself and asking for the status of the parts.

It took Jayco almost a month to ship a piece of 17 x 55 sheet metal for my slide. Took 10 days for the camera.

BTW, this is not a Schwintek slide. It’s a drop down floor level slide.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:52 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Beware of the dealer.

I took my rig in to the dealer on Sept 28 for a slide problem, kitchen drawer slide lock issue, and side camera not working.

Although my dealer assured me all parts were ordered and warranty work approved by Jayco, they lied through their teeth. They dealer did not submit the approval request for the slide and associated parts request until Dec 19. They did not submit the camera requests until Jan 4.

I caught them by talking to Jayco myself and asking for the status of the parts.

It took Jayco almost a month to ship a piece of 17 x 55 sheet metal for my slide. Took 10 days for the camera.

BTW, this is not a Schwintek slide. It’s a drop down floor level slide.
Nothing worse than a liar except maybe a thief. Sounds like your dealer fits squarely in the liar category.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:39 AM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Nothing worse than a liar except maybe a thief. Sounds like your dealer fits squarely in the liar category.
Yep. This is the last of the warranty repairs so after this is complete the dealer can shove it. I found a local mobile service that works with my ESP so they’ll start getting my business.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:29 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I would look up your awning model number and see if the part is available and install it yourself or take it anywhere but where it is now. I never leave my RV at the dealer until they have the part and can work on it. If that part isn't available and you really want the awning have it replaced with a new one
Was going to say the same. I certainly would not let a faulty awning make me cancel planned trips! A faulty motor or transmission, yes... but an awning is not a critical component. Order the part and go on with life until it comes in. They can phone you when that happens.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:57 PM   #18

State: New York
THOR #18343
First let me say I haven’t read every thread word for word!

But I feel your frustration and instantly I thought Camping World was involved some how…. But that’s neither here nor there!!

I get it you want your awning fixed, and it’s the motor that needs fixing, most of the time that is usually the problem! The motors for some reason are crap! We purchased a unit back in 2016, with in 6 mos the motor went. Luckily we were “seasonal” so it wasn’t that big of an issue!
But it would be 6-8 weeks before we could get it repaired!

Just so you know all is not lost though! There really isn’t a reason to cancel trips! Yes it’s an inconvenience, but these motors have a manual operation to them! You need a 3/8ths socket and either a cordless drill or a ratchet! Good luck!!
Old 01-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #19
sip

THOR #5882
Even with a busted passenger side window I kept my RV till the dealer got the window delivered to them .. then I took it in for a quick swap. I wouldn't leave my RV just sitting around dealers lots for months unless it was absolutely necessary (as others have said, engine blown or some catastrophic failure).

If the awning won't retract, I'd just take it off for now.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #20

Model: 23TB
THOR #9509
Quote:
happy camping!!
I had my awning replaced last year (2021) I have had no problems or delays. I use Cummins Crosspoint in Normal, IL for all major and most minor RV issues on my 2017 Compass 23TR. The awning repair was necessary because I ran into a tunnel (Nada tunnel in Red River Gotge, KY)��