Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2023, 02:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Montana
THOR #29823
Question Noisy water pipes

I bought a new to me ACE 29.2. AS you turn on the faucet the pipes rattle a little but when you turn off the faucet it is very loud. Does anyone have this problem or know how to fix this problem?
Thanks

Old 05-31-2023, 03:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
They sell "pump quiet" kits.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:07 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Depends on were the noise is. One of the hoses under the kitchen sink in my Hurricane had no support and was very noisy. I secured it to nearby bracing and the noise went away. You may have to investigate in your rig.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:56 AM   #4

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Lori View Post
I bought a new to me ACE 29.2. AS you turn on the faucet the pipes rattle a little but when you turn off the faucet it is very loud. Does anyone have this problem or know how to fix this problem?
Thanks
Its called water hammer and is caused by one of the PEX lines vibrating against something. It usually only happens in an RV when you are using the water pump. If you are connected to city water turn off the water pump and see if you still have the noise. Often the PEX lines are hard connected to the water pump and that transmits the oscillation of the water pump to the PEX water lines. As mentioned, you can install flexible lines between the water pump and the PEX lines to help mitigate the noise. Another thing is to locate which line is causing the noise and apply the foam insulation used to insulate water pipes. You can buy the foam insulation in various sizes with a split so that it can be slipped over the PEX lines without disconnecting anything. Sometimes you need to cut sections and push it over the PEX lines in areas where the PEX lines are difficult to access.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:44 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
The hammering can also be minimized by installing an accumulator in the water lines. Also turn off water, drain some out of water heater and restore that air pocket in the water heater tank IF you have the tank type.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:44 PM   #6

State: Montana
THOR #29823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Its called water hammer and is caused by one of the PEX lines vibrating against something. It usually only happens in an RV when you are using the water pump. If you are connected to city water turn off the water pump and see if you still have the noise. Often the PEX lines are hard connected to the water pump and that transmits the oscillation of the water pump to the PEX water lines. As mentioned, you can install flexible lines between the water pump and the PEX lines to help mitigate the noise. Another thing is to locate which line is causing the noise and apply the foam insulation used to insulate water pipes. You can buy the foam insulation in various sizes with a split so that it can be slipped over the PEX lines without disconnecting anything. Sometimes you need to cut sections and push it over the PEX lines in areas where the PEX lines are difficult to access.
Well it is all of the lines. I tried doing different things with insulation tubes around the water pipes close to the pump but I only found one access area inside the RV to even try and put it around the other parts of the lines.
Any ideas on where I could find out where the other access areas might be. the one I did find was right under the bathroom sink. Oh and I forgot to tell you it is loudest when we turn the water off.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:31 AM   #7

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Well it is all of the lines. I tried doing different things with insulation tubes around the water pipes close to the pump but I only found one access area inside the RV to even try and put it around the other parts of the lines.
Any ideas on where I could find out where the other access areas might be. the one I did find was right under the bathroom sink. Oh and I forgot to tell you it is loudest when we turn the water off.
Sorry, we don't own nor have every owned an ACE so are not familiar with its construction or routing of water lines. There are a lot of members on this site that own an ACE so hopefully one of them will chime in to help.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:55 PM   #8

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
They can be accessed under kitchen sink you may have to remove a thin wood paneling to get to them
Old 06-08-2023, 01:15 AM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mine slap in the walls only when there is air in the lines. Sometime when tank levels allow, turn on the offending faucets and let it pump water for a few minutes to purge the air. works for me.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:17 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Thanks
My water pump was loud as well. Apparently, the pounding in my water system was caused by the water pump raddling the input pipe from the Fresh water tank. I inadvertently corrected the problem when I installed a city fill modification to allow me to fill the freshwater tank from the city connection instead of from the gravity fill located on the opposite side of the coach. As part of that install, I also installed a support bracket. I used a residential bracket designed to prevent pipe pounding. You can see it just below the ball valve in the attached photo.

If you can find the pipe that is pounding you can install one of these to stop it.

Here is a link for the support bracket:
https://www.amazon.com/HOLDRITE-266Z...%2C934&sr=8-42
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Valve # 7 anti raddle.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	42279  

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote