Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2023, 11:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #28183
Onan 5500 Genset Uncommanded Shut Down

Good evening! My 2015 Thor Windsport 32n is equipped with a Onan 5500 GENSET. It has had all the right care but now it has decided to do shut off totally on its own without any command from me. There is no sign of overheating or other visible issues. We have been using the MH quite a bit and have run many gallons of gas through the tank. We live in central Florida and it has not been sitting in storage. I have put an additive in the tank to help keep the ethanol byproducts from building up in both the coach fuel injectors and the GENSET carb. It has just over 200 original hours on the meter.

Does any one have any suggestions as to why it is acting up? Looking forward to see what suggestions are out there.

Thanks,

AFLOGGIE

Old 03-23-2023, 11:32 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLOGGIE View Post
Good evening! My 2015 Thor Windsport 32n is equipped with a Onan 5500 GENSET. It has had all the right care but now it has decided to do shut off totally on its own without any command from me. There is no sign of overheating or other visible issues. We have been using the MH quite a bit and have run many gallons of gas through the tank. We live in central Florida and it has not been sitting in storage. I have put an additive in the tank to help keep the ethanol byproducts from building up in both the coach fuel injectors and the GENSET carb. It has just over 200 original hours on the meter.

Does any one have any suggestions as to why it is acting up? Looking forward to see what suggestions are out there.

Thanks,

AFLOGGIE
Cummins does fixes and gave us a 2 year warranty
Old 03-23-2023, 11:45 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Oil level? They are pretty sensitive to this.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
8 years old and only 200 hours the generator suffers from neglect. More than likely you need to redo the entire fuel system.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:54 PM   #5

THOR #28183
Thanks!
Old 03-23-2023, 11:55 PM   #6

THOR #28183
Is a rebuild a big project or should I let the professionals do it?
Old 03-23-2023, 11:56 PM   #7

THOR #28183
Oil level is better than 3/4 up the dip stick well within the safety zone on the dipstick.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:57 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
8 years old and only 200 hours the generator suffers from neglect. More than likely you need to redo the entire fuel system.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:58 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
When you call Onan, I don't think they will consider 25 hours / year a lot of usage. Maybe if all you ever did was exercise it?

I would start by trying to get the error code. If you don't have a EC-30 you may need Onan manual or Onan Support to help to see why it is shutting down.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:13 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

Thanks,

AFLOGGIE
Get your generator model number
Get your generator manual online
Review the procedure to extract trouble codes.
Next time it shuts down pull the trouble codes and follow the manual. Much better than guessing.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:53 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
You need a manual or possibly an actual Cummins mechanic, not a silver bullet from the internet.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:10 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Seems about right though if it’s just getting exercised properly. 2 hrs/month for 8 years.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:15 AM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Before spending money at Onan try basic engine troubleshooting. Disconnect the fuel line and see if the pump is pumping. Check the fuel filter, check or simply replace the spark plug and check the wiring, especially the ground connection etc.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:16 AM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Seems about right though if it’s just getting exercised properly. 2 hrs/month for 8 years.
The Onan folks will tell you in their seminars that a high age low hour generator is garbage. A 3 year old gen with 600 hours is in better condition than one 8 years old with 200 hours. Been to multiple seminars all stating the same.

Also, as a note, around 14 and 15 Onan had some serious fuel pump diaphragm problems. I had the problem on a 2014 Sunseeker.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:52 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
The Onan folks will tell you in their seminars that a high age low hour generator is garbage. A 3 year old gen with 600 hours is in better condition than one 8 years old with 200 hours. Been to multiple seminars all stating the same.

Also, as a note, around 14 and 15 Onan had some serious fuel pump diaphragm problems. I had the problem on a 2014 Sunseeker.
I am going with what he is saying. I have not been to any of the seminars but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

When we added the EC-30 I had chance to talk with engineers from Onan. They state that owners of AGS system have a call in Support rate a lot lower than those without. Their theory or point is that if you own a AGS, in most cased the owners use it and when you use it you run the genny more than those without.

I try to get 100 hours a years but it is very hard to do. I run my genny for almost any reason I can think of. I never exercise it technically; because I use it for any excuse I can think of; so no need. I just serviced my genny two weeks ago.

For OP, I have seen error codes on my Onan 5500 and none of them required any service from Onan. Follow the advise you got earlier from The Ace on how to extract your codes. I could do the same thing but my EC-30 tracks and stores the last 10 error codes.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-26-2023, 08:56 PM   #16

THOR #28183
Thanks to all. Spoke to an Onan Service center here in Ocala, FL. He felt that all signs pointed to a faulty Fuel Pump. Picked one up and installed it. Generate cracked right up and ran for almost 1.0 hours non stop without any sign of trouble. Loaded it up with AC on high, External plug with air compressor filling up and not a single sign of trouble. I'm good with the fix!

Appreciate all inputs!!

NATO Rule: Don't worry about your enemies - it's your allies that will do you in.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:02 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Thanks for coming back to tell the forum about the fix
Old 03-29-2023, 09:51 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #13503
Just maybe

IF. - your M H is low on its gas, the gen WILL NOT USE ALL OF YOUR GASOLINE. It will shut down.

Quote:

Thanks,

AFLOGGIE
Old 03-29-2023, 10:10 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Post #16 the OP describe the issue and fix.

faulty Fuel Pump