RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Member
 
RAWeems's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
Posts: 56
THOR #16745
portable grills to use with onboard propane

Hello All, so I made the mistake of purchasing a Char-Broil portable grill and just found out that they do not make an regulator adapter that has been safety approved to use with an RV. Sooooo, now I am in search of a grill that I can hook up to my RV's propane tank even if I have to get an adapter. Any suggestions are definitely welcome??? TIA
__________________

__________________
RAWeems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,678
THOR #3156
Most grills will work. You just have to remove the regulator on the bbq and use a non regulated hose to the propane connector

Weber probably has the best and models to choose from

I use charcoal bbq grill and blackstone griddle. Been thinking about only using the blackstone for everything

Jerry
__________________

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Member
 
FstopMiami's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Florida
Posts: 71
THOR #16529
https://blackstoneproducts.com
__________________
FstopMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,835
THOR #8860
+1 on the Blackstone, and check out
www.propanegear.com for the adapters.
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,739
THOR #1469
I use a Weber Q2200 and have recently added a Blackstone to the tool kit. I have never been a fan of steaks cooked on a flat top and the Weber can produce smoke from wood chips better than a flat top. It may change in the future but for now the Weber will tag along.

A major consideration is the size of your storage compartments. Some rigs have small storage compartments so you are limited in the size of the grill that you can load. There is no way a Weber would fit in the storage compartments of our prior Class C.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,678
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I use a Weber Q2200 and have recently added a Blackstone to the tool kit. I have never been a fan of steaks cooked on a flat top and the Weber can produce smoke from wood chips better than a flat top. It may change in the future but for now the Weber will tag along.



A major consideration is the size of your storage compartments. Some rigs have small storage compartments so you are limited in the size of the grill that you can load. There is no way a Weber would fit in the storage compartments of our prior Class C.
Yeah storage is the problem. My weber charcoal is small and fits in the compartment with my blackstone. But my blackstone table stand won't fit unless I remove the charcoal bbq. I have to much stuff in my compartment. Might be time to clean the out and make room
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Member
 
RAWeems's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
Posts: 56
THOR #16745
Thanks

I was originally looking at the weber but they were sold out everywhere. My husband is thinking about removing the regulator on the grill but hadn't seen where anyone else had done it. We have a 27.7 Vegas so storage may be a problem with the griddle and i prefer a grill and can use a griddle cast iron pan when needed. We may try to remove that regulator or just go with a Weber. But I think you have to do the same thing with theirs or do they have an adapter?
__________________
RAWeems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #19397
I use the Camco Olympian 5500. All stainless steel. Can get super hot, but the easiest way to deal with that is simply reduce the flow of LP into the BBQ from the coach. Seems very well made, designed for the pressure flow from the coach instead of a bottle.
__________________
CAW2018SiestaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
Member
 
RAWeems's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
Posts: 56
THOR #16745
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAW2018SiestaSS View Post
I use the Camco Olympian 5500. All stainless steel. Can get super hot, but the easiest way to deal with that is simply reduce the flow of LP into the BBQ from the coach. Seems very well made, designed for the pressure flow from the coach instead of a bottle.
Thanks!! Maybe we will try that today to see how it works out.
__________________
RAWeems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,739
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
I was originally looking at the weber but they were sold out everywhere. My husband is thinking about removing the regulator on the grill but hadn't seen where anyone else had done it. We have a 27.7 Vegas so storage may be a problem with the griddle and i prefer a grill and can use a griddle cast iron pan when needed. We may try to remove that regulator or just go with a Weber. But I think you have to do the same thing with theirs or do they have an adapter?
On the Weber you have to remove the regulator and install a quick connect end and fitting.

Here the link to the thread where I documented converting my Weber Q about 4 years ago.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Terry Ekeland's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Texas
Posts: 9
THOR #16118
We use the Cuisinart CGG-306 - Two-Burner, Stainless Steel. Removed the regulator and installed a quick-connect fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CGG...6734125&sr=8-3
__________________
Terry & Kellie
Texas Aggies
US Navy Retired
2020 Thor Challenger 37YT
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Terry Ekeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,835
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I use a Weber Q2200 and have recently added a Blackstone to the tool kit. I have never been a fan of steaks cooked on a flat top and the Weber can produce smoke from wood chips better than a flat top. It may change in the future but for now the Weber will tag along.

A major consideration is the size of your storage compartments. Some rigs have small storage compartments so you are limited in the size of the grill that you can load. There is no way a Weber would fit in the storage compartments of our prior Class C.
That's why we purchased the 17" Blackstone: the 22" model would never have fit!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #13
Member
 
RAWeems's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
Posts: 56
THOR #16745
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
On the Weber you have to remove the regulator and install a quick connect end and fitting.

Here the link to the thread where I documented converting my Weber Q about 4 years ago.
I don't see a link. It seems it doesn't matter which grill we were to go with, we would have to remove the regulator. So he is going to just remove the one on the grill we have. We would love to see what you did to yours please. Thanks!!
__________________
RAWeems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #14
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,739
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
I don't see a link. It seems it doesn't matter which grill we were to go with, we would have to remove the regulator. So he is going to just remove the one on the grill we have. We would love to see what you did to yours please. Thanks!!
Sorry about that. Here is the link

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...-lpg-4875.html
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
Posts: 6
THOR #19219
Most any propane grill will work. Take your grill and RV to a propane repair shop and they can make you a hose to fit your RV quick disconnect and grill to whatever length you want. Mine is 15 ft and I can reach from RV to table about anywhere I want it.
__________________
Mlarrabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,835
THOR #8860
Just make sure that the folks in the neighboring site don't figure out that it'll reach to their table also!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,219
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarrabee View Post
Most any propane grill will work. Take your grill and RV to a propane repair shop and they can make you a hose to fit your RV quick disconnect and grill to whatever length you want. Mine is 15 ft and I can reach from RV to table about anywhere I want it.
The hose is not the issue with "most any grill", it's the double regulator. If using the rv quick connect it's already been regulated, then using a grill with it's own regulator you'll have very little flame, if any, regardless of the hose length.
I would agree "most any grill will work" if your able to remove it's regulator. I had a 25' hose made for my Weber that I removed the regulator & added a quick connect that I could place about anywhere on my site.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 166
THOR #17765
Iíve used the original Weber Baby Q since 2004. Have roasting accessories, griddles, etc. Donít need anything else. I took the regulator off when bought the MH. Put quick connect male nipple in its place. Got a quick connect 10í hose on Amazon. Even drilled a hole in the top and put a temp gauge in it.

If I was buying a new one today it would be a Q 1200. Higher dimes lid.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:32 AM   #19
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,835
THOR #8860
We looked at those 1200 Webers, and liked what we saw.
We decided to go the "Blacksone route" due to the solid cooking surface...
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:44 AM   #20
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,739
THOR #1469
I converted the Q2200 and recently added a Blackstone.
__________________

__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grill propane regulators, portable grill

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×