Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #24515
Potential new RV owner - Struggling with decision

My wife and I are looking to dive in. We’ve narrowed our selection we think to a smaller class A. We’re currently eying a 2021 Thor ACE 30.4 and a 2017 30.1.

We tend to usually go for newer, but it would cost about $15k more. They are close enough in price that I’m very tempted to go newer, but worried it’ll depreciate a lot va the 2017 which has already hit its large upfront depreciation. The 2017 may need $5k of aesthetic work though as well. The 2017 is a tad larger as well.

Really curious if anyone could provide any insight to push us in one direction or another. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
You worry about depreciation yet point out that the 5 year old coach is only $15K less than a new one?

The sweet spot is a 1 year old coach that has had all the "fixes" done but only has 2000 miles on it and is 25% or more below actual selling price of a new one.

Hard to find in today's market but not impossible.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #3

THOR #24515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The sweet spot is a 1 year old coach that has had all the "fixes" done but only has 2000 miles on it and is 25% or more below actual selling price of a new one.

Hard to find in today's market but not impossible.
Appreciate the input, I have very little experience right now so soaking up all I can.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:16 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I think that we are in a strange RV market. Late last year I bought a new Axis for less than I could buy a 1-3 year old model. Used prices have gone through the roof and new have gone up as well but not as much.

Paying $15,000 less than new prices for a 4-5 year old coach is absurd. Buy the new one. In a few years when this boom market has played out, the 4-5 (now 6-7) year old coach will have dropped in value dramatically. Your new one will also have dropped, but not as much.

David
Old 08-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #5

THOR #24515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Paying $15,000 less than new prices for a 4-5 year old coach is absurd. Buy the new one. In a few years when this boom market has played out, the 4-5 (now 6-7) year old coach will have dropped in value dramatically. Your new one will also have dropped, but not as much.
Thanks for the input!
Old 08-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I would add that any new vehicle takes a large depreciation hit as soon as you drive it off the lot - but that only comes into play if:

The vehicle is totaled in the early years - get a replacement value insurance policy to mitigate that concern.

You sell the vehicle in the early years.

There's lots of unforeseen life events that may cause you to sell an almost new MH, but the thing you have control over is determining if this is something you really want to do? Or is it a pipe dream/passing fancy? Take the "Try before you buy" approach to mitigate this concern by renting a similar MH a few times before laying out the big bucks.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote