Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Power Control System - Shore Power Amp Setting

I store my Tuscany 45AT in a heated indoor storage facility. They provide us with plug in power, and each motorhome is supposed to draw no more than 15A over the circuit.

I always review the shore power settings after plugging in. The system defaults to 30A and I always adjust it to 15A. The instruction manual says the available settings are 50A, 30A and 20A, but I swear mine allows 15A as well.

The power is occasionally interrupted when something causes a breaker to trip (several motorhomes share each circuit breaker). When that happens my system setting goes back to 30A, which by itself may cause another tripped breaker because my charger can easily pull 20-30A trying to recover after the power outage.

My question for other members is: Can the amp setting default value be changed so that it will go back to 15A after power is restored, rather than 30A? I have not seen anything in the instruction manual about being able to do this.

A few days ago I visited our rig and discovered that the house batteries had run down to zero percent state of charge (S.O.C.). The end of my drop cord was no longer "glowing” so I knew that a breaker had tripped again. The house batteries are AGM style, no maintenance technology. I am not sure if they can tolerate that deep of a discharge repeatedly because of these power interruptions (it has happened to me more than once).

The storage facility says that they check the breaker boxes every day, to ensure that all customers are getting power to their motorhomes, but I'm not sure they are that diligent about it..

Another question: Does anyone manufacture a shore power monitoring system that would send a message via cellular phone whenever shore power voltage drops to zero?

That sure would be a great system to have. After being notified of a power loss I could call the storage facility and ask them to reset the breaker.

I look forward to your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Central Monitor Panel.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	27969  

Old 01-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
A decent sized UPS might be an option

Kept our computer system lone several times
Old 01-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
A decent sized UPS might be an option

Kept our computer system lone several times
This was my first thought as well!
Old 01-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I wouldn't worry about it if all you are trying to accomplish is keeping the batteries charged. Since if your battery charger is simply trickle charging your batteries, it's highly likely it's not pulling anywhere near 15amps, just on it's own. When the lot loses power for a time, and then it gets restored, it's possible that your rig could then be pulling more power than normal, but that's the lot's fault, not yours. Once the batteries get back to somewhat 'full', where only absorb or float charging are in order, your charger will no longer be pulling much amps.
If your lot provides power with several rigs sharing the same '15amp' circuit, it's certainly understandable that a tripped breaker is highly likely on a regular basis, no matter what setting you dial your charger to.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Stop, using the MH electronics and disconnect the House batteries and install a trickle charger to just the batteries. Problem solved.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #6

THOR #5822
I think you're missing the point of storing a motorhome in one of these facilities... we do it so that we can leave food in the fridge and not have to winterize the water systems. I'm not the only one that relies on the system to deliver power without interruption. I was just talking with another owner two days ago that had the same complaint (temporary loss of power).

Typically, our motorhome will be in storage for no more than 4-6 weeks before we leave on another adventure.

I'm not sure what size breakers are in the electrical system for the "big house" (the warehouse with all the Class A's in it). They might be 50A breakers for all that I know. Still, if 3-4 motorhomes shared a 50A breaker and it tripped for some reason, when the power is restored and they all start charging their battery banks, there is going to be a big load put on that breaker and it is going to blow again, real fast.

If the facility operator responds in a timely fashion, hopefully the batteries have not been drawn down that far and the breaker can support the load.

So, I am still hoping that someone out there can respond to my questions.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old 01-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You're looking for something like this?
https://www.meetmarcell.com/shop-marcell-multisensor/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if you have the Magnum ME-RC controller, then you can set the SHORE MAX button/setting to a very low 5, 10, or 15amps to control that amperage allowed to the Charger...

other than that, there is nothing you can do - it's not your fault, it's how the storage is wired.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #9

THOR #5822
Shore Power Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You're looking for something like this?
https://www.meetmarcell.com/shop-marcell-multisensor/
Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for! That will do the trick for my application. The $100 annual cell phone fee isn't that bad (AT&T = $8/month), combined with the $189 for the alarm device itself.

Thank you very much, and my batteries also thank you!
Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #10

THOR #5822
Look at the correct manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
if you have the Magnum ME-RC controller, then you can set the SHORE MAX button/setting to a very low 5, 10, or 15amps to control that amperage allowed to the Charger...

other than that, there is nothing you can do - it's not your fault, it's how the storage is wired.
Yes, that is the advice I needed. Look at the manual for the controller, not the display! I did, and paragraph 3.2 covers exactly what I need to do.

Thanks a lot for your help! This is the quickest, to the point, solution that I have gotten on this Forum since I became a member.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So your battery charger is capable of 300 amps charging?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote