Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2023, 12:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #27275
Propane filling question

On our 2022 Tiburon FB Class C when filling the permanently mounted propane tank several places (Loves and Flying J Truck Stop) had trouble filling the tank when our tanks guage shows half full. This is after we ran the refrigerator for a week and the LP generator off and on. It would shut off Loves fill station immediately. Any ideas? I would think we would have used at least a gallon of propane in that time frame. Outside temperatures were around 76 degrees. I’m baffled? Any help?

Old 05-02-2023, 12:41 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
More info...

Shut off immediately? bleeding out propane indicating Full, or some other turn off... maybe internal safety on the propane dispenser?

Did the above happen the exact same at both places?

Is this 1st time you ever put propane in?

Which gauge do you call the tank's gauge, inside or outside? Do both gauges read the same?

Do you know the size of your tank?

This may jump start for some answers to start flowing....
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:52 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I had three places in a row, over an 800 mile stretch, not be able to work their propane pumps. I too, thought it was our RV.
It was inexperience meets entry level job.
4th place filled it no problem.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:21 AM   #4

Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #27275
68lb propane tank. Yes their station would shut off immediately. No this is not the first time being refilled. I’ve had this issue at around 4 Loves and Pilot locations. I just ran into the issue today at Loves. They shut our tank valve off, opened the vent valve on our tank then opened the fill valve and turned the machine on. Their fill pump stopped and their guage didn’t move. I did not see propane coming out the vent they opened when starting to fill the tank. The Loves employee scratched his head and said I guess you’re full. When I was talking about our gauge I was taking about the outside guage. The inside guage says 63%. Don’t know if it’s trust worthy. I’ve never let it get below half tank of propane. I’ve got 84 hours on generator.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:36 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Agree with Duck on this one. The local place I use fills commercial tanks frequently. Same guy (would pass for Wilford Brimley's younger brother) every time. He's very methodical, and I leave him alone while he's working.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:50 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperOne View Post
68lb propane tank. Yes their station would shut off immediately. No this is not the first time being refilled. I’ve had this issue at around 4 Loves and Pilot locations. I just ran into the issue today at Loves. They shut our tank valve off, opened the vent valve on our tank then opened the fill valve and turned the machine on. Their fill pump stopped and their guage didn’t move. I did not see propane coming out the vent they opened when starting to fill the tank. The Loves employee scratched his head and said I guess you’re full. When I was talking about our gauge I was taking about the outside guage. The inside guage says 63%. Don’t know if it’s trust worthy. I’ve never let it get below half tank of propane. I’ve got 84 hours on generator.
Just had the same experience at my local go to place for propane, a Best Hardware store. The person doing the refill had never done a fill on her own. The tank was empty, but she could not get the pump to start. When the experienced guy came out to help the problem turned out that she had opened the relief valve on the fill hose. Since there was no back pressure the pump would not start. The relief valve is for releasing the pressure in the pump hose so that the pump hose can be disconnected. Once that problem was corrected the tank took 19 gallons in the 20gallon tank.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:10 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperOne View Post
Not sure where you live, but I normally go to one of 3 local U Haul dealers. Never had an issue. I went to a Tractor Supply for 1st time outside of Houston and it took two of them, they weren't sure it work because my inside gauge was not on Full, but I saw it bleed out and asked them to wait and sure enough a few minutes later my inside read 100%

I figure your tank holds 16 gallons. Since it should never go over 85%, Full for you means about 13 lbs. If your gauge reads 63% you likely have 10 lbs in your tank. You would need about 3 lbs to fill it up. I often wonder how they make money filling propane. Your bill will be $10 - $12

FWIW, my gauge only shows 1/3, 2/3, Full; so I fill up at 1/3 unless it is winter time and then I fill up BEFORE every trip. That one trip to Tractor Supply was the only time I ever had to buy Propane while on the road.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-02-2023, 02:41 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Not sure where you live, but I normally go to one of 3 local U Haul dealers. Never had an issue. I went to a Tractor Supply for 1st time outside of Houston and it took two of them, they weren't sure it work because my inside gauge was not on Full, but I saw it bleed out and asked them to wait and sure enough a few minutes later my inside read 100%

I figure your tank holds 16 gallons. Since it should never go over 85%, Full for you means about 13 lbs. If your gauge reads 63% you likely have 10 lbs in your tank. You would need about 3 lbs to fill it up. I often wonder how they make money filling propane. Your bill will be $10 - $12

FWIW, my gauge only shows 1/3, 2/3, Full; so I fill up at 1/3 unless it is winter time and then I fill up BEFORE every trip. That one trip to Tractor Supply was the only time I ever had to buy Propane while on the road.
On the road I prefer to Have the propane delivered or stop at a propane retailer. There is a good place in Winfield Kansas where I got hung up for a week getting repairs on my drive shaft and tailpipe. I got the motorhome back late Friday afternoon I could not get to the place before the normal closing time but they were nice enough have me call when I got to the pumps. In Las Vegas and Phoenix propane delivery services deliver propane to individual motorhomes at camgrounds.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
On the road I prefer to Have the propane delivered or stop at a propane retailer. There is a good place in Winfield Kansas where I got hung up for a week getting repairs on my drive shaft and tailpipe. I got the motorhome back late Friday afternoon I could not get to the place before the normal closing time but they were nice enough have me call when I got to the pumps. In Las Vegas and Phoenix propane delivery services deliver propane to individual motorhomes at camgrounds.
Believe it or not, at U Haul I can get the propane for $1.99 to $2.99 / gallon. It can vary, but there is some obscure Texas law about cost of propane being cheaper for mounted motorhome tanks than cost of propane to refill portable tanks. It has a formal name because it shows up on the receipt. It is not known at most places and I get a crazy look when I asked for. I believe I paid $4.29 at Tractor Supply in Houston

Occasionally I get a U haul attendant that rings it up like a portable propane without the discount, but I don't have time to explain. It may cost me $10 more but that is the exception.

I live within 5 miles of 3 very large U Haul centers all with Propane. I rent equipment from them all the time and all 3 are use to seeing the RV. One of them professionally mounted my new Curt 10,000# rated hitch.

Not sure why I needed or wanted Propane in Houston? It was not cold, so maybe I was worried about the fridge? More likely I was at 1/3 and just afraid to actually run out? Otherwise I NEVER buy on the road. I can easily go 6 months or longer on one tank.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:23 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Aha! 1/3 tank of propane to go with that 1/3 tank of fresh water. Now let’s run 999 more posts.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:30 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Aha! 1/3 tank of propane to go with that 1/3 tank of fresh water. Now let’s run 999 more posts.
I drain holding tanks when Gray water is at 1/3 ( it always beat the black tank

I now tow my toad with 1/3 tank of gas in towed to just get closer to GCWR threshold. But if I am gonna need to start carrying my leaf blower, I may have to go down to 1/4 tanks
Old 05-06-2023, 10:54 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
I had a similar problem for the first time when passing through Quartzite recently. It was very hot and I figured that it was vapor lock. Operator shut off the pump and restarted it. It filled very slowly. I am going to take a look at all the valves and hoses that are used (and ask some questions) next time that I am at an actual propane distributor and not at a gas station.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:03 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I stopped at a hardware store on the outskirts of Jefferson City, MO. I pulled the RV up to filling station and went inside to find someone to fill my propane tank. There was only one employee working at the time and she said no one was there to fill my tank. Then she told me that I could fill it myself. I might have been able to figure it out, but I didn't want to take a chance.