Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #1
LPH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #28680
Propane for Four Winds 24F

Hi

I purchased a 2022 Four Winds 24F used. My knowledge is very limited.

The heater worked wonders the first two trips but tonight has been nothing but cold air being blown. I'm assuming the heater is running off propane. I'm not certain and don't know how to verify.

I've known since this afternoon that the propane tank is empty. Which brings me to the next question -- how do I get more propane into the tank? Seriously. I've been searching for about an hour and no YouTube videos have the most basic concepts for me.

Do I go to a gas station, which offers propane? How do I find one? I'm currently in the Palm Springs area and the Flying J states they have cylinder propane. I don't think that is the right item.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Warm regards,
LPH and his dog Ernie

Old 12-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Yes, the furnace runs off the onboard propane. Ask the Flying J where the closest propane filling station is. Go there. Your tank is in one of the storage compartments. The station will know how to fill it.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #3

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPH View Post
Hi

The heater worked wonders the first two trips but tonight has been nothing but cold air being blown. I'm assuming the heater is running off propane. I'm not certain and don't know how to verify.

I've known since this afternoon that the propane tank is empty. Which brings me to the next question -- how do I get more propane into the tank? Seriously. I've been searching for about an hour and no YouTube videos have the most basic concepts for me.

Do I go to a gas station, which offers propane? How do I find one? I'm currently in the Palm Springs area and the Flying J states they have cylinder propane. I don't think that is the right item.

Warm regards,
LPH and his dog Ernie
Lots of places have the ability to fill your propane tank. Many campgrounds have propane service. Most U-Haul locations sell propane. Find one near you and call them to see if they sell propane. The propane tank will be in an outside compart that does not have locks. Find the compartment that does not have locks and open it. The propane tank will look like the one in this link:
https://tinyurl.com/2nm3qwko

When you go to the location that will fill your tank you will need to park with that compartment facing the propane filling station. The technician will know what to do to fill the tank and will turn the propane off. When he(she) finishes they will read the gallons that was used to fill the tank and you will pay for that amount. If it is U-Haul they will most likely have a credit card reader with them at the filling location. Ask the technician to show you how to turn the propane back on at the tank. When you get to your next location first light the stove to clear the air from the propane lines and then turn on the furnace. When lighting the stove use one of those long BBQ grill lighters and hold the flame on and next to one of the burners. It may not light at first but you will hear air hissing. When the propane reaches the burner it will light with blue flame and you can then turn off the BBQ lighter. Then turn off the stove burner and turn on the furnace. It may take a few tries to get it going.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
MENARDS, Tractor Supply, and many truck stops. Propane delivery services often fill tanks and RV'S. Camp grounds and Marinas also.

Not all the above but a good percentage have Propane filling stations.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Call first. Not all places that can fill loose propane tanks are able to fill the permanently mounted ones. My local Tractor Supply won't fill them, but I did find that Ace Hardware could.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
LPH

THOR #28680
Thank you

Thank you everyone.

I pulled out the owner's manual last night and started reading. There is so much to learn that it is awesome.

When the KOA office is open then I'll ask some more questions because they probably know the local area for filling up the tank.

I've never lit the pilot before and so this will be a new experience.

Old 12-18-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you everyone.

I pulled out the owner's manual last night and started reading. There is so much to learn that it is awesome.

When the KOA office is open then I'll ask some more questions because they probably know the local area for filling up the tank.

No pilot to light. The furnace (and water heater, and fridge) has an electronic ignitor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 06:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Thank you everyone.

Most KOA campgrounds have LP filling stations
Old 12-18-2022, 07:32 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Thank you everyone.

The KOA can probably fill your tank. Since you’re completely empty. After filling, turn the tank valve on. Go inside and turn a stove burner on and try to light. Will probably take several attempts as there is air in line to bleed out. If furnace won’t light on first attempt, turn it off at the thermostat, wait, then turn thermostat on heat again. Should ignite at some point. You’ll hear the fan first then a whoosh.

But, if you’re plugged into electric at the campground, go buy a small ceramic heater. Use it instead of furnace. Keep your furnace thermostat on 62. Use the ceramic heater. Furnace will burn thru a lot of propane in a short amount of time.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #10
LPH

THOR #28680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No pilot to light. The furnace (and water heater, and fridge) has an electronic ignitor.
Fantastic. It was as easy as going to the place near the tank, turning to open the valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
The KOA can probably fill your tank. Since you’re completely empty. After filling, turn the tank valve on. Go inside and turn a stove burner on and try to light. Will probably take several attempts as there is air in line to bleed out. If furnace won’t light on first attempt, turn it off at the thermostat, wait, then turn thermostat on heat again. Should ignite at some point. You’ll hear the fan first then a whoosh.
It took me a moment from the stove because I'd never played with it either. LOL.

But WOOSH ... the stove burner turned on without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
But, if you’re plugged into electric at the campground, go buy a small ceramic heater. Use it instead of furnace. Keep your furnace thermostat on 62. Use the ceramic heater. Furnace will burn thru a lot of propane in a short amount of time.
I bought one this morning (there were only two left on the Walmart shelves) and am moving the thermostat to 62 as you suggested.

It was sooooo cold last night. Lesson learned!

Thank you again everyone.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:52 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Hi

Warm regards,
LPH and his dog Ernie
The dealer you bought the RV from should have covered the basic stuff like where the propane tank is, how to fill your freshwater tank, and how to dump the black and gray tanks. Hint always dump the blank tank first. Never just leave the black and gray tank valves open while parked.

You need to do two things:
1. Go the THOR web site and register your motor home the address to create an account is: https://thor.mizecx.com/cc/userSignup.html#sblox=none
after registering your unit (there is a place to enter your VIN) you can read all the documentation and owner's manuals for everything that went into your coach.

2. Go to the RV Street U-tube website for a beginner's introduction to operating an RV.

The Rv Street U-tube channel has a wealth of information about keeping a motorhome or any RV in top operating condition.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:51 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
The dealer you bought the RV from should have covered the basic stuff like where the propane tank is, how to fill your freshwater tank, and how to dump the black and gray tanks. Hint always dump the blank tank first. Never just leave the black and gray tank valves open while parked.

You need to do two things:
1. Go the THOR web site and register your motor home the address to create an account is: https://thor.mizecx.com/cc/userSignup.html#sblox=none
after registering your unit (there is a place to enter your VIN) you can read all the documentation and owner's manuals for everything that went into your coach.

2. Go to the RV Street U-tube website for a beginner's introduction to operating an RV.

The Rv Street U-tube channel has a wealth of information about keeping a motorhome or any RV in top operating condition.
Who said the used rv was purchased from a dealer?
Old 12-19-2022, 04:10 AM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Who said the used rv was purchased from a dealer?
Until LPH says one way or the other we are both just guessing.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #14

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
With the cold wave later this week, this is a good time to get prepared.

We always have several house and RV fires any time temperatures drop drastically in the Branson area

Check out your heat source is ready, and your backup plan is as well

Hopefully, it's not another Texas fiasco, but it appears that a large area will be very cold
Old 12-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #27561
My only comment is that I wouldn't count on the person filling the tank to know how to do it properly. I haven't had one person yet (I have had the tank filled four times) fill it properly.

When filling Recreational Vehicles: prior to filling ensure engine is turned off, close the service valve, all pilot lights are turned off, and all persons must exit the vehicle. All of these things must be accomplished before filling operations begin.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:50 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
My only comment is that I wouldn't count on the person filling the tank to know how to do it properly. I haven't had one person yet (I have had the tank filled four times) fill it properly.

When filling Recreational Vehicles: prior to filling ensure engine is turned off, close the service valve, all pilot lights are turned off, and all persons must exit the vehicle. All of these things must be accomplished before filling operations begin.
State and local regulations vary. Some regulations may seem to be well intended, but aren't necessarily created using common sense (or public safety) as a guide. Follow the "trail" to the source... starting with states with loosely structured motor vehicle "in$pections"... That said, I get my RV propane filled where the operator is properly trained and certified.
Old 12-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #17

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
State and local regulations vary. Some regulations may seem to be well intended, but aren't necessarily created using common sense (or public safety) as a guide. Follow the "trail" to the source... starting with states with loosely structured motor vehicle "in$pections"... That said, I get my RV propane filled where the operator is properly trained and certified.
Now, I would have a hard time to know if they are "properly trained"... maybe they were stoned throughout the class... I dunno. I am sure Thor Industries has many "trained" people, but there is never ending bashing of them on this forum of their quality of work.
"Certified"?? What does that mean these days... There are sooooo many University degrees out there and I would not trust them in whatever field they studied in.

And to ensure the operator is certified, do you actually ask for their credentials?
Just my 2¢
Old 12-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Many propane oulets in Palm Springs

Quote:
Hi

Warm regards,
LPH and his dog Ernie
Hello to you and Merry X-Mas !

I was in Palm Springs Last Winter and Found a half dozen propane filling gas stations.

I use the IOverlander App to find propane station that will fill your RV for about $20 to $30 on a 2019, 24 foot Class C. All the places I visited where served by a trained attendant. You must close the pilot switch to the heater, range and hot water heater to be allowed to refill. Safety first.

If you dont have or want yo use the App, you can start with U-Haul in Palm Springs or the gas stations in that area. Some black water dump stations also have propane.

Enjoy your stay in CA !
Old 12-25-2022, 10:08 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #27561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Merry Christmas!

In theory state and local regulations vary. In practice they are almost all taken either directly from or reference NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) 58 Liquified Petroleum Gas Code, just as NFPA 70 National Electrical Code is almost always referenced as the electrical code in all jurisdictions nationwide. The procedures that I referenced are also in the training manual for filling tanks issued by the Propane Education and Research Council (PERC) which is governed by the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) and the Gas Processors Association (GPA).
Old 12-26-2022, 01:59 AM   #20

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
Merry Christmas!

In theory state and local regulations vary. In practice they are almost all taken either directly from or reference NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) 58 Liquified Petroleum Gas Code, just as NFPA 70 National Electrical Code is almost always referenced as the electrical code in all jurisdictions nationwide. The procedures that I referenced are also in the training manual for filling tanks issued by the Propane Education and Research Council (PERC) which is governed by the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) and the Gas Processors Association (GPA).
Yes, I agree. I will add that there's also varying "years of adoption" of various codes... which vary from state to state. GFCI outlets in garages for instance - Some states required in new builds, others not.

But my point was not about those things. It was a veiled reference to states using inspections/certifications/licencing etc. as a money grab when safety is obviously not the priority... and I think I didn't do a great job of explaining that. Just my opinion though.

Tags
heater, refill