Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2022, 07:14 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No the definition of open highway in NJ is one that is open to the public.

Sorry, research trumps personal opinion any day. NJ 39:1:1.

Your research and Proof is as follow, the code does not mention Propane:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jer...section-39-1-1

2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 39 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION
Section 39:1-1 - Words and phrases defined.
39:1-1. As used in this subtitle, unless other meaning is clearly apparent from the language or context, or unless inconsistent with the manifest intention of the Legislature:
"Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel.
"Street" means the same as highway.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post

39:1-1. As used in this subtitle, unless other meaning is clearly apparent from the language or context, or unless inconsistent with the manifest intention of the Legislature:
"Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel.
Read my last post
Old 06-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #23

THOR #12119
Quote:
Read my last post
This will take a while.

My advice for those traveling through New jersey, is to call ahead if you are concerned.
I have been traveling through NJ over 30 years with my propane tanks open, and I will continue to do so.

Also by NJ definition you can't even drive down any street with the propane open.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:37 PM   #24
Site Team

THOR #1469
As to tunnels my research has found that tunnel lpg restrictions are based on whether or no there is an elevation change between or within the entrance and exit of the tunnel. Some locations have checkpoints to inspect propane tanks and ensure they are off (Virginia) while others prohibit tanks from entering the tunnels (Maryland).

Individual responsibility to know the laws of the states in which they are traveling.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
1 show me any proof of a conviction for such a thing in an rv, no matter the law. Show me the percentage of convictions equal more than 1 conviction per 10,000,000 miles if indeed you find any non commercial or non nutcase cases.

2 turning off the propane group needd to show proof of any fire or explosion from not doing such and show percentages greater than 1:100,000,000.

3 It's ridiculous as proven by a literal gazillion miles of rv travel over the last 100 years.

4 do as you want. Do not foist personal fears on others. If it's not personal fear, prove how everyone should fear it.

5 the chances of being hit by lightning while being kicked to death by a mule are higher.

It's a Ghost story. A story about ghosts,

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:37 PM   #26

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
My two cents worth

We had propane fridges on traveling from 1965 until 2016 when we bought the Tuscany

Brother and all the group we camped with did the same for all those years

No fires but nice cold food except for the 4-door model in the Landmark which was a pain to keep cold
Old 06-22-2022, 10:49 PM   #27

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Today as we crossed into New Jersey my Garmin GPS alerted that LPG tanks must be shut off and that on the particular highway there was a 4 ton weight restriction for U turns.

I don’t need propane while traveling so the take is always off while we travel.
Easy answer... avoid NJ. Any state which has ridiculous laws/rules not based on facts (and we ALL know the ones) - I will NOT visit... let alone live there. Why would I support that?? Face it... life is all about making choices. And yes, I know... family.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:03 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Easy answer... avoid NJ. Any state which has ridiculous laws/rules not based on facts (and we ALL know the ones) - I will NOT visit... let alone live there. Why would I support that?? Face it... life is all about making choices. And yes, I know... family.
Grandkids are here, otherwise I wouldn’t be anywhere near here. Way to many business trips here to include one where my rental car was totaled by an idiot in a heating and cooling service van rear ending me at a red light causing a chain reaction multi car event. Since I was corporate everyone tried suing me but nobody got a penny. I have some legal experience, from a defendant’s perspective, with New Jersey’s asinine laws.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:06 PM   #29

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
+1 for leaving fridge on while driving -
When we had a propane refrigerator I would turn it on the night before a trip and off when we returned home. Didn't not use much propane and kept things nice and cold... If we were on shore power it would run on electric.

+ 1 for staying away from NJ - All due respect, nice people but crazy state with lots of rules and lots of people...
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:03 AM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post

That "research and proof" was in response to my question of the definition of an "open highway". Nothing there about open propane tank prohibition. Dave says he has found that statute and will post it later. We wait until later.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:20 AM   #31
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That "research and proof" was in response to my question of the definition of an "open highway". Nothing there about open propane tank prohibition. Dave says he has found that statute and will post it later. We wait until later.
The statute is on my MacBook from when I was doing some trip planning, so I will post it when I have a need to power up the computer.

Visiting with the Daughter, SIL and Grandkids is far more important than the laptop. Sorry, fact if life.

BTW when Garmin warned about a 4K weight restriction for UTurns there was a sign posted at every location. Garmin has it right and I will believe Garmin over others that think they know what’s right. Again, fact of life, Garmin’s business depends on getting things right.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:26 AM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Not to throw a wrench on the focus of laws versus recommended practice versus real world, but isn't OP from Colorado? I always have electric on anyway in Colorado starting around Amarillo / Raton Pass up to Denver. It is not done for safety reasons though.

So I have to update my Waze Apps to avoid New Jersey joining my already ban to avoid Virginia (weighing requirements)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:57 AM   #33
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Not to throw a wrench on the focus of laws versus recommended practice versus real world, but isn't OP from Colorado? I always have electric on anyway in Colorado starting around Amarillo / Raton Pass up to Denver. It is not done for safety reasons though.

So I have to update my Waze Apps to avoid New Jersey joining my already ban to avoid Virginia (weighing requirements)
No weighting required in Virginia. Lived there for 25 years. There is an all vehicles requirement in Maryland.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:03 AM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.onl...ws-part-2/amp/

Look up any state, find silliness.
The law iz silly, we know it's sillly, no one will post conviction rates...
What's the exercise?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:32 AM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
No weighting required in Virginia. Lived there for 25 years. There is an all vehicles requirement in Maryland.
Are you sure...

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-23-2022, 02:46 AM   #36

THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Thanks, interestingly nobody from New Jersey has piped in.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:27 AM   #37

THOR #12119
Quote:
No the definition of open highway in NJ is one that is open to the public.

Sorry, research trumps personal opinion any day..

Even dumber is no tow dollies are allowed on the NJ Turnpike. Motorhome towing must be 4 wheels on the ground. The GSP requires a tow bar , safety chains and emergency lights. Make sense: to me absolutely not.
TITLE 19. OTHER AGENCIES
NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
CHAPTER 9. NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
SUBCHAPTER 1. TRAFFIC CONTROL ON NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE

§ 19:9-1.9 Limitations on use of Roadway

20. Vehicles in tow:
i. With an axle or combination of axles raised off the ground and supported by cable, chains, rope, dollies or other devices, except that Class 1 vehicles in tow with front axle off the ground and supported by dollies with safety chains are permitted to enter and use the Turnpike provided that the brake lights and turn signals of the tow dolly trailering system or towed vehicle are connected to and operating in conjunction with the towing vehicle's lights;

Still searching for the propane tanks closed in NJ statue
Old 06-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #38

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We need a couple of dozen more threads on:

Run with propane on/off

Tire pressure

Electric vehicles

I had to wait 6 months to get the screw replaced in my cabinet

And last but not least, what drives the price of gas

Let’s stick to productive stuff like “How do I get my wheel cover off?”.

Oh, and do you travel with full or empty tanks?

Old 06-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post

Run with propane on/off

True Story, a few years ago while still under warranty, I was at the Dealer as they were making a list of few warranties items to fix. I noticed a screw on the trim of outside door that seemed awkwardly inserted, so I show to service writer. He played with the screw a little and turned around and said it was best to leave alone because if he writes it up they make break it Because I had other stuff that I was wanting them to do, I didn't press him over that. This morning while moving the RV; I noticed that same screw, and it just kind of bugged me for some reason; so I figure I get the big Phillip screwdriver to see if I could just move it a tad without breaking. It screwed right in and torqued tight.

It took 3 years, but I got the screw in

Point is these are good questions, because when you don't know, you don't know. The bottom line answer for OP is yes it is safe to run propane while driving, but it is BETTER if you can avoid. I use to run all the time, but modified my system where I don't need to anymore. I prefer the latter.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:31 PM   #40
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Productive Stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post

Run with propane on/off

Tire pressure

Electric vehicles

And last but not least, what drives the price of gas

Let’s stick to productive stuff like “How do I get my wheel cover off?”.

Oh, and do you travel with full or empty tanks?

For a new RVer the answer to driving with/without propane on to cool the fridge is productive stuff.
So is knowing when/where you can not drive with the propane on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote