Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2022, 05:24 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
...So, by extrapolation, a vape pen must be more dangerous than my little Norcold(as a fire risk). Right?
Some of us do on occasion wish vapid folks would catch on fire so they'll at least add warmth since they can't add worth.

Does that count? Did I win something?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #82

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ing-20602.html

Easier.
Add to the above tool or negate either.
The video is a sales commercial not a documentary but the product has some value.

Sometimes when Sally is said, Karen is a better fit.

When speaking of negating credibility based on, uuuhhh, things:
Your post included

'Good luck, and happy - fire free - RVing.
Jxxx Dxxxx
817.714.xxxx'

If Sally truly upset you...wow. Wait until the bots and spiders get ahold of your phone number you posted on an international forum and associate it with you saying your name is Sally.

Management;
You might want to fix that for her.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:41 AM   #83

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Propane in tunnels.. Restriction is for tunnels that descend as those going under water. Concern is propane is heavier than air and settles to the lowest point in the tunnel. Highway tunnels through mountains are usually level and do not have the propane restriction. Virginia Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at the toll plaza they ask if the propane is off and direct you to an area to secure the tank before entering..

The safety valve in propane tanks will shut off flow is there is a rapid increase in gas flow. Can sometimes activate if the shutoff valve is opened too quickly.

RV absorption refrigerator off level may not be able to circulate the liquid coolant and may develop a hydraulic lock. Angle of the flame is not a consideration although depending on where the blockage is, lack of coolant in the boiler can cause the unit to overheat.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:19 AM   #84

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
I'm pretty sure that strategy will not save you anything.

All refrigerators are controlled by a thermostat. They cool when the temp rises above a certain threshold and they stop cooling when the temp falls to a certain point. As you have correctly pointed out, the frequency of this on/off cycle depends on the insulating power of the reefer and the temperature surrounding the reefer.

By manually turning off the fridge, what are you really doing? Only preventing it from turning on when the temperature rises. Therefore, the inside temp of the fridge continues to rise until somebody remembers to re-apply power. Then what happens? It runs for an extended period to get back to where it would have been, had it not been interrupted.

Has this process saved any power? Yes, a little. But, only because the temp was allowed to rise above the optimal level. The same or better result could have been achieved just by raising the dial to a higher setpoint. And, so much simpler.

My point is to let the fridge do what the fridge does best and not try to outsmart it. In the long run, that saves you nothing.
Sure, that logic is sound. There may have been a greater point that the reference was not about efficiency, but how OP may extend a fixed battery supply. Reduction of demand can be accomplished in multiple ways from status quo which had her genny kicking in 4 - 6 times per day. I described what I do when I am boondocking when I choose to NOT use my Propane. I don't think the OP had that option. Instead of getting 6 - 8 hours during the day, I believe the OP shuts it down (off) at night. Before we had Fridge connected to Inverter, we would ALWAYS turn off for the complete trip of the drive and turn back on with Propane or Shore when we got where we were going. You can me the technical reasons, but if fridge has been running on my batteries for 2 hours, and we leave and come back a few hours later we still have power. We doi the same thing and leave the fridge on, when we get back a few hours later we have a dead battery ( or genny running if AGS is on).

But lets not confuse, I don't have residential fridge inside RV or lithium batteries. If I truly boondock, my fridge is on propane, or we move items to outside Kitchen fridge which can run all day off our AGMs. Turning the fridges off at night is something we use to have to do, before we got the new batteries.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:27 PM   #85

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
What about all of the refrigerator/ freezer coolers that take very little battery power. I remember when they first came out they were usless, I think on a 90 degree they could cool down to 70 I'm not Canadian I like my beer cold. I read the new ones can even freeze, why not use a system like that on these refrigerator/freezers? They could still run on 120 volts with a converter
Old 06-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #86
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
What about all of the refrigerator/ freezer coolers that take very little battery power. I remember when they first came out they were usless, I think on a 90 degree they could cool down to 70 I'm not Canadian I like my beer cold. I read the new ones can even freeze, why not use a system like that on these refrigerator/freezers? They could still run on 120 volts with a converter
I think you may be referring to those Peltier (Thermo-Electric) coolers? They're still worthless.

The good plug in coolers use a compressor just like a home fridge. It's just a 12 VDC system instead of 120 VDC. I bought a 30 qt model 2 years ago and we use it all the time. It works great. Can be set as a fridge or a freezer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:55 PM   #87

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I bought some friends Peltier motorcycle helmets many year ago.
Those chips couldn't even keep a helmet cool.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:10 PM   #88

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I bought some friends Peltier motorcycle helmets many year ago.
Those chips couldn't even keep a helmet cool.
Right they were usless years ago