Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2022, 07:14 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #18301
refrigerator

I am getting conflicting answers : Is it safe to travel with the refrigerator on propane?

Old 06-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by judi paredes View Post
I am getting conflicting answers : Is it safe to travel with the refrigerator on propane?
Sure I do it all the time. I don't have an inverter in my motorhome, so the only way to keep things cold is on propane. They say at gas stations and some tunnels. I'm not sure if many turn them off until they get to where they are going. Like cell phones near gas pumps. I have a gas app that I pay at the pump with, I guess that is okay
Old 06-15-2022, 07:28 PM   #3

Model: challenger
State: Alabama
THOR #21263
Some say to turn it off if your fueling up but i always forget to.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
That's one of the reasons you have a propane cooling fridge.

Ignore the safety Sallies that claim it is too dangerous to drive with propane on - never can get a straight answer as to how natural gas vehicle are safer?

There are SOME tunnels and Ferries that still require you to turn it off though.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:55 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Sure. I’ve done it for years. I don’t turn off for fueling either. I have in mind to connect it to my inverter with a $50 ATS so it’ll run on the battery while driving and shore power when plugged in but still letting me switch to propane when I want. It’s not much about safety, just a preference not to use up my propane. That said, I’ve not bothered with this simple project in the two and a half years I’ve had my coach.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:21 AM   #6

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I would say yes, it is safe to travel on propane powered refrigerator. I do it when traveling also and never a problem. Since I do not run the generator going down the road for 110v, propane it is. Besides the cost of gasoline what it is, our generator gives us 8 hours on 5 gallons of gasoline. That could be expensive.

I've read that the fridge won't work if out of level within so many degrees or more.

I have never had it happen until this past weekend, because I usually camp with a 30A hook-up plugged in. Camping at this motorcycle rally over the past weekend+, there were no hook-ups for the RV. No problem I figure the fridge is running on propane. Only thing, I could not get the rig level enough, uphill to the front and the rear tires off the ground.

It seemed level enough I could manage. Then the freezer part began unthawing things in there, and my bag of ice was melting in there. I checked and a pilot light was lit, just that, seemed odd because I usually hear a jet engine sort of sound on propane and no pilot is usually present, it electric spark starts when needed to.

When I ran the generator to supply 110v, the fridge worked great. I figured the refrigerator was okay and just something about the gas mode, or circuit board. Nope.

I learn and share my experience.

About the flame to work the ammonia refrigerant system in there;
The flame from a fire source, especially one in an enclosed space away from a breeze, will always burn with the flame going straight up against gravity.

When you get too far of a point not being level, the flame will not be aligned to the heating tank part properly. The design is to prevent the system causing a fire and that could be detrimental to the rig, and/or life and limb if the flame were heating something it shouldn't be.
A good safety measure for sure.

I am also glad I do not have another "thing gone wrong" with our Thor.
(let's not go there)...

Hope this helps somebody to understand part of how it all works.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:43 AM   #7

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

Think of your question and why you get conflicting responses this way. Is it safe to ride a motorcycle during rush hour traffic on freeway in major city? I do; but when I can take a service road with no traffic, I will.

My first 2 years, my fridge was always ON, except for tunnels or when getting gas. I would later do a mod so my fridge can now be powered by inverter, so when I am driving my inverter is always on an so is my fridge. I can go 3 or 4 hours running my fridge when the engine is off and running off the batteries. That is more than enough.

But even better, I keep my fridge in Auto mode Gas/AC so it always has power even when turn off inverter.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Today as we crossed into New Jersey my Garmin GPS alerted that LPG tanks must be shut off and that on the particular highway there was a 4 ton weight restriction for U turns.

I don’t need propane while traveling so the take is always off while we travel.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:09 AM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Today as we crossed into New Jersey my Garmin GPS alerted that LPG tanks must be shut off and that on the particular highway there was a 4 ton weight restriction for U turns.

I don’t need propane while traveling so the take is always off while we travel.
But do you need all of the items in you fridge and freezer to stay cold?

The above is critical me, to get a cold drink, ice or a nice sandwich made of ham and smoked turkey while driving or for rest area stop.

Now we are in violent agreement because I don't need propane while driving either. NEVER do it anymore. I spent $20 bucks and rigged my fridge to Inverter circuit and it is easy peasey no brainer now.

I assume the OP MUST or really want the fridge while driving. She or he should feel that it is really okay except for tunnels & gas stations, but why not connect to an inverter and be worry free?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:25 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
So reading info. No open tanks on open highways in New Jersey.

https://outdoortroop.com/is-it-legal...he-propane-on/
Old 06-22-2022, 02:45 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
So reading info. No open tanks on open highways in New Jersey.

https://outdoortroop.com/is-it-legal...he-propane-on/
What's an "open highway"?

I got that same Garmin alert earlier this year when entering NJ. When I got home after that trip I also did some research - lotsa discussion about this issue but no one could pin down a state statute regarding this "restriction". I wonder what they say about CNG fueled cars and trucks?

As for that article. Did you see what it says about Virginia? "You can bring no more than two propane tanks and each cannot exceed 20 lbs." WTH? So no fifth wheels or larger trailers with twin 30 lb tanks are allowed in the state? I call BS.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:50 AM   #12

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Those GPS alerts are probably for the tunnels Holland & Lincoln, and the lower level of the George Washington Bridge. I don't know anyone that closes their propane tanks in NJ.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #13

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Traveling with refrigerator on propane

Quote:
Yes, Judi, I always do it. Incidentally, I also run the generator on hot days so I can run the A/C. Then, the fridge is on electric.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Those GPS alerts are probably for the tunnels Holland & Lincoln, and the lower level of the George Washington Bridge. I don't know anyone that closes their propane tanks in NJ.
Wrong. No open propane on open highways.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #15

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Wrong. No open propane on open highways.
ONLY BECAUSE YOU SAID SO?
Where is the proof that this is in fact law?
Garmin does not write or create laws.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:55 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
ONLY BECAUSE YOU SAID SO?
Where is the proof that this is in fact law?
Garmin does not write or create laws.
No the definition of open highway in NJ is one that is open to the public.

Sorry, research trumps personal opinion any day. NJ 39:1:1.

Does it make sense, IMHO no it does not especially since NJ at last report has 13 public filling stations for LPG alternative fuel vehicles. There are also 17 public CHG filling stations.

Even dumber is no tow dollies are allowed on the NJ Turnpike. Motorhome towing must be 4 wheels on the ground. The GSP requires a tow bar , safety chains and emergency lights. Make sense: to me absolutely not.

Just like folks that say “All vehicles over 5k GVWR must enter” doesn’t mean RV. Sorry but RV is included in the word “All” and I got the warning ticket last year to prove it.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:29 PM   #17

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
And the "do ya, don't ya" saga goes on & on & on!!!!.
Personally I've been rving for 40+ years & have ALWAYS traveled with fridge set to "auto" so it's running on propane while traveling or not connected to shore power & haven't blown anything or anyone up yet! In most cases towable rvs the fridge exhaust is so far behind the vehicle & in some cases on the opposite side while fueling as to not be an issue, motorhomes can be a different due to length & fridge location, but usually not an issue.
We've have been coast to coast border to border, never to NJ & never will, & have never been through a tunnel or "open road", requiring gas to be off nor have I ever stopped at a weigh station nor been chased down for not stopping.
I've also ran a LP generator in the rv for AC & have ran the furnace when cold all while traveling with never an issue. And another LP tip, for faster hot water recovery you can run the water heater on LP & electric at the same time without harming it.
A long story short, RUN YOUR FRIDGE ON LP WHILE TRAVELING if you want the fridge cold. If you happen by chance to go somewhere, wherever that may be, that requires it off, turn it off!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
It boils down to whatever folks want to do is what they are going to do. Folks can do whatever their wallets can afford.

For the record when we had our Sunseeker I always traveled with the fridge in auto and the generator running. A am However during that time a couple situations came about that caused me to start researching the RV specific laws in states we are going to or traveling through.

Safe travels.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
No the definition of open highway in NJ is one that is open to the public.

Sorry, research trumps personal opinion any day. NJ 39:1:1.

Does it make sense, IMHO no it does not especially since NJ at last report has 13 public filling stations for LPG alternative fuel vehicles. There are also 17 public CHG filling stations.

Even dumber is no tow dollies are allowed on the NJ Turnpike. Motorhome towing must be 4 wheels on the ground. The GSP requires a tow bar , safety chains and emergency lights. Make sense: to me absolutely not.

Just like folks that say “All vehicles over 5k GVWR must enter” doesn’t mean RV. Sorry but RV is included in the word “All” and I got the warning ticket last year to prove it.
OK, so now we have a quasi-definition of "Open Highway" from the NJ statutes - although "Open Highway" is not specifically defined, I'll give that one to you.

Now, where, in those same statutes is the open propane tank prohibition?

Your article doesn't cite it, it just has the same words as a 2013 Good Sams States list of laws applicable to RVs, which also doesn't cite any references.

I've searched. It may be codified; but I haven't found it.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
OK, so now we have a quasi-definition of "Open Highway" from the NJ statutes - although "Open Highway" is not specifically defined, I'll give that one to you.

Now, where, in those same statutes is the open propane tank prohibition?

Your article doesn't cite it, it just has the same words as a 2013 Good Sams States list of laws applicable to RVs, which also doesn't cite any references.

I've searched. It may be codified; but I haven't found it.
I have the statute and will post it at a later time.