Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2022, 05:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #26716
Remote Unlock Question

I purchased a 2015 Thor 28Z Class C back in April. It only came with 1 key, so I need to have a few made up. When I went to Ace Hardware to have them copy them, I was told they don't do "chipped" keys. So, here is my query:

If the key is chipped, I have power windows and door locks (Ford E450), does that mean I should have also received a key fob that would allow me to lock / unlock doors?

Thanks for any information!

Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I had an '18 Outlaw 29H on a '17 E-450 and if I recall I did not have a fob for the door locks.

However, I followed a procedure in the manual so I could program the chip myself using the ECM to add a third spare key. It can be a little different with each vehicle type so check your manual or YouTube.

Sometimes it requires having two keys to start but there are procedures for only having one key. It is easier and cheaper than a dealer or locksmith.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #3

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I have a ‘17 Four Winds Class C and it came with two keys and two remotes. However, my coach does not have the Ford remote entry system but an aftermarket APS45C keyless entry system. The only feature used is the door lock and unlock. Only one of the key FOBs was programmed and worked. The dealer could not program the second key FOB due to not having the valet switch. As a result I purchased a new APS45C and replaced the old one - it came with the FOBs pre- programmed.

You need to figure out if you have Ford OEM or an aftermarket system. Best to call Thor and ask them. Also, there should be a Ford tag on the drivers door frame that has the feature codes - that should help figure out if you have an OEM system or not.

The APS on my coach is under the plastic step on my drivers side.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
JimOIB just loosened the rust in my brain......

My Outlaw was the same way. It had a regular Ford chip key for starting and aftermarket remotes for the doors. I did program a third key myself.

The stock E-450 trim package Thor uses doesn't have the Ford remote door locks and fobs so they added an aftermarket option.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
For what it's worth...

We have a 2016 class C Outlaw on the Ford E450 chassis.
It came with 2 ignition keys (that are not chipped), and 2 separate key fobs that lock and unlock the doors.

Since the ignition key does not have electronics involved in it, I went and had a couple extra keys made. It is the traditional double sided key like they always were of old with Fords, before new technologies had taken over.

They will unlock the door in the key slot, and they will start the engine too.
Now I have a hidden key somewhere for that just in case scenario.

Since the OP has a 2015, maybe this will help answer the question of should it have.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #6

THOR #26716
Well thanks for the information. I will try contacting Thor and provide the VIN to see if they can confirm one way or the other. Just a matter of convenience I guess. Unfortunately, I did not get any manuals when I purchased the MH
Old 08-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
Well thanks for the information. I will try contacting Thor and provide the VIN to see if they can confirm one way or the other. Just a matter of convenience I guess. Unfortunately, I did not get any manuals when I purchased the MH

FYI, Theft Deterrent chipped keys do not equal remote anything. Two different independent systems.

One of my son's cars is a bare basic Chevrolet Spark. It has no remote locks and hand crank roll-up windows. It has a theft deterrent chipped key.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:55 PM   #8

THOR #26716
I called Thor today, and kudos to them for actually being able to talk to a real person after a short wait. I was told that:

1. The vehicle did originally come with remote access (key fob)
2. Not sure what make or anything, so recommended I go to a high end Auto Stereo shop and let them figure it out.

So has anyone come across this issue previously, not having a key fob and having to buy and program one?
Old 08-13-2022, 12:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I called Thor today, and kudos to them for actually being able to talk to a real person after a short wait. I was told that:

1. The vehicle did originally come with remote access (key fob)
2. Not sure what make or anything, so recommended I go to a high end Auto Stereo shop and let them figure it out.

So has anyone come across this issue previously, not having a key fob and having to buy and program one?
Buy a key FOB Remote from Amazon for your chassis (2014 E350/E450?). They usually come with programming instructions.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #10

THOR #9511
When you open the drivers door there is a plastic step into the cab. Thor hides the aftermarket remote lock device under that step. It pulls up fairly easy. Check to see what device they installed then go from there. If there is no device then look at the chassis fuse diagram and see if there is a fuse in the passive anti-theft slot...i believe this might power the Ford OEM remote locks.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:55 AM   #11

THOR #26716
So, I pulled up the plastic step on the drivers side and there is a black plastic box there. I has a small wire antenna, some wires plugged into it, and a small red flashing light. There was nothing on the box itself, but a sticker on the backside, which was partially partially torn off, read PRO9845. Everything after the 9845 is obscured as the sticker is worn away.

Checking online I see that Audiovox has a series of 9845 (A, B, N) that have different functions. I'm thinking its something basic, just lock and unlock. So going to try to find an Audiovox remote and see if that can be programmed.

Anyone else have this type? Audiovox also list it as the "Pursuit" model.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #12

THOR #9511
I do not but looking at the manual it is a direct replacement for what I have. I believe you will need the valet switch to program the remotes. Amazon will probably have the remotes and maybe the valet switch. I’ll try to find the wiring diagram and if it the same as mine I can loan you the valet switch.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:41 PM   #13

THOR #26716
Any info would be great. I've been trying to find a "switch" but there doesn't appear to be anything in line with the box.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #14

Model: Quantum 29kw
State: California
THOR #24729
Aps-45c

Quote:
Any info would be great. I've been trying to find a "switch" but there doesn't appear to be anything in line with the box.
https://www.voxxelectronics.com/docs.../APS45C_IM.pdf

Is this what you are looking for? This is the Prestige APS-45C
I have this in my mh. I bought a fob from Amazon but couldn't program it because no valet switch. There is a slot on the back side of the box for it but probably not that simple. I couldn't find just a switch and not all wires are connected to the box.
Thor says it's a Ford thing.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:34 AM   #15

State: Oklahoma
THOR #17806
I have a 2014 28z ans it has power window and locks from the factory. It's a E450. It has a stock key fob that will unlock the doors.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:16 AM   #16

THOR #26716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDebOklahoma View Post
I have a 2014 28z ans it has power window and locks from the factory. It's a E450. It has a stock key fob that will unlock the doors.
is the box under the driver step a PRO9845?
Old 08-20-2022, 02:32 AM   #17

State: Oklahoma
THOR #17806
Not sure what you mean.