Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #23795
Right Size RV Car port

Now that I have a concrete pad, I am trying to decide what size carport / metal building to build for my 2021 ACE.

Is it worth putting full sides and back or just a roof or half sides. Live in Oregon, not much snow, but rain and some wind. Obviously the more the better, but is it really needed. Protecting the roof is a must and I have tire covers.

Checking for pros and cons and preferences and experience.

Thanks - Next trip Thanksgiving!

Old 11-15-2021, 06:54 PM   #2

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I would check the building codes and city ordinances. The code enforcer sent me a letter saying I was in violation. It took days to find out, an rv in our town can only be 35 feet,
5 feet from any property line, only in the side yard or back yard, must be on concrete, blacktop, or continuous gravel, and the front must be behind the front of the house. That was our problem I had to back it up 2 feet. Our town will not allow carports or covers of any type. Our town is much better than the ones around us. It's better to check than having 5 days to remove something and the fine is for everyday it's not fixed. I was lucky my neighbor has been fined 3 times now and been taken to court twice
Old 11-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Regarding sides…
Depends on which way the RV Port faces

In my case…
- I live in CA with 300 days of sunshine
- The front of my port faces West so I had to add a front screen for afternoon sun
- Thus, the “long” side of my port faces South so during the Oct-Mar months there is low sun that can damage the lower side of my RV
- So I chose to add a panel and some screening to protect from sun on that South side

BTW…to create a “front door” from screen material, it’s a DIY project with cable and rings to hold the 12’ x 20’ screen material
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2936B3C4-D265-4584-8A00-A13A654A6B5B.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	34812  
Old 11-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It doesn't matter what anyone here types as an answer.
Your governing agencies will decide,

Opinion wise:
There is no value to putting up the least protection except to have accomplished the least.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #5

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I have been thinking of getting one for our RV built next to our house EXACTLY like this (corner lot). I found a local builder who built this one somewhere in Las Vegas area. Two things that I have to find out. (Get HOA approval and find out our City's building Code). I am sure Las Vegas allows it (as the one on the picture is from Las Vegas). We are in North Las Vegas (different city).

I don't think our HOA will approve a solid wall on the side to block the sun. I am OK with just this exact one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Park1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	34813   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Park2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	34814  

Name:	rv4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	34815   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv5.jpg
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	34816  

ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #6

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
I have been thinking of getting one for our RV built next to our house EXACTLY like this (corner lot). I found a local builder who built this one somewhere in Las Vegas area. Two things that I have to find out. (Get HOA approval and find out our City's building Code). I am sure Las Vegas allows it (as the one on the picture is from Las Vegas). We are in North Las Vegas (different city).

I don't think our HOA will approve a solid wall on the side to block the sun. I am OK with just this exact one.
That would be nice, I would like to put up a big out building in the back yard but in a subdivision I think the size and height would never get approved
Old 11-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #7

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
That would be nice, I would like to put up a big out building in the back yard but in a subdivision I think the size and height would never get approved
I would like a building because it would be sealed. I have a Weber grill and each year we get a few mice and they are gone. This year we have caught 15 mice and still going. Every year it's a new bug or animal
Old 11-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #8

THOR #21278
Sorry for the last 2 sideways photos. I can't make it upright. That is our actual side parking.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #9

THOR #20274
That looks great plenty of room, I like the gates
Old 11-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #10

THOR #21278
Thanks Bill. Before we offered to buy (build) the house, we made sure the HOA will approve us to park our RV, build a gate and use pavers on the driveway (everything in writing). Less than a month after we moved in, after our house was built, we received multiple warning letters. I showed them their previous approval. I just dont know if they will approve that side porch. We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
That looks great plenty of room, I like the gates
Old 11-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It doesn't matter what anyone here types as an answer.
Your governing agencies will decide,

Opinion wise:
There is no value to putting up the least protection except to have accomplished the least.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1637008100
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	77
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	34817  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:46 PM   #12

THOR #20274
ador Hope they will let you. Just like by me they made 35 feet max other towns are 24 feet
Old 11-17-2021, 06:21 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
We did full three sides on concrete slab. Keeps the rain off other things like the mower, scooters, storage bins ect. SW Washington sees approximately 8+ months of rain so it wasn't a difficult decision. Full sides offers some versatility and isn't just an RV cover. I have never once thought, "man I wish I would have not done full sides."Click image for larger version

Name:	20210322_191856.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	34839
Old 11-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Some of these discussion of HOA etc. is the exact reason I avoid them and love living in a rural low population density county in the south. I have built 2 pole barns and a detached garage and didn't have to ask "permission" to do something on my own property. But I understand some people have to have someone nearby. In my opinion a full constructed building, floor, sides, doors, roof is the best but also more costly. The more protection you can provide the better for you and the RV. Roof at a minimum that extends far enough out to keep most rain and sun off. Sides or partial sides on the sunny side to provide that protection. Out west with sand blasting winds, wall for that. Don't forget hook ups if possible. I ran a 100amp sub-service to mine and have 1 50amp, 2 30 amp and some 20 amp and lighting. Water line and a small 500g dedicated septic tank.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:10 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Some of these discussion of HOA etc. is the exact reason I avoid them and love living in a rural low population density county in the south. I have built 2 pole barns and a detached garage and didn't have to ask "permission" to do something on my own property. But I understand some people have to have someone nearby. In my opinion a full constructed building, floor, sides, doors, roof is the best but also more costly. The more protection you can provide the better for you and the RV. Roof at a minimum that extends far enough out to keep most rain and sun off. Sides or partial sides on the sunny side to provide that protection. Out west with sand blasting winds, wall for that. Don't forget hook ups if possible. I ran a 100amp sub-service to mine and have 1 50amp, 2 30 amp and some 20 amp and lighting. Water line and a small 500g dedicated septic tank.
Agreed! We moved out of the high tax "big city life" 5 years ago and don't miss it one bit. We have a much larger property with a fraction of the taxes, no rush hour traffic, good neighbors far enough away for privacy. This fits our lifestyle perfectly.

We have a 1955 "legacy" house bought from original owners who kept it in perfect shape. We got very lucky. Conversely, there are relatively new condos fairly close... selling for over $300k! Plus condo fees! Plus the iron fist of control... the "you can't wear green shirts on Thursday" type of control!! I don't get it. I can just open the back door and let the dogs out to roam in their 1/2 acre fenced yard... nobody's business. And this costs us FAR less than what we were paying 5 years ago.

I would love to have an RV garage. I've been thinking about it... it's classified as a "no permit needed" pole barn if no foundation. I would eliminate our lawn shed (mowers, tiller, tool storage, etc.) and combine that into the back of the RV garage. Then the price of concrete and the building itself... Well, the RV cover is on again this year while I mull it over.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #18608
We built this last year and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEC3F58C-6887-40D8-B409-5057D33AC272.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	34888  
Old 11-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Here, in N Ireland, we have way too much rain so, for me, getting my RV under cover is essential. This the second RV 'roof' I've made and never had any regrets. Good luck to the op in building yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210929_132451.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	34903   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210929_132521.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	34904