Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
Road Side Service

Have AAA RV Premium membership, have class C Four Winds 32 feet.

Right rear outside tire lost air this week while traveling, called AAA in the end no service providers could help possibly one but the cost to me $73.00. No one came.

Was able to limp to a Discount Tire valve extension lose. Aired up on my way.

First time to use AAA RV Premium disappointed concerned about future if need roadside assistance.

Any recommendations?

Old 11-18-2022, 03:19 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
What area were you in when you needed service?

I have AAA plus the RV Coverage. Have not had to use the RV Coverage but have never had an issue calling AAA. I could see some remote areas being an issue.

I also have Good Sams as a backup in case I run into a situation where one provider doesn't have good coverage.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #3

THOR #22781
East Texas incident near Diaboll. About 12 miles south of Lufkin.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #4

THOR #22781
Our experience with AAA on auto very good.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEasTexas View Post
Looks like its in between three major cities.... DFW, Houston and Shreveport. I could see where they might not have a local service to deal with the potential of an RV tire repair or tow so it might have to come from a larger metropolitan area and take much longer.

The other possibility is they may have estimated if they could not do the repair and you needed a tow, it could have exceeded the allowable mileage.

But that really is an excuse. They should have given you all possible options.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Suggestion is get some basic tools and a compressor capabler of airing up a tire. The pancake 120v type will air up to 120psi but takes a bit of room. A Viair RV type is small, but expensive and slow for a big tire. When you "limped" to the DT you may have damaged the other tire on the axle by overloading it. Best to have that tire checked also. Any of the roadside assistance are only as good as who answers the phone and the willingness of a facility to go out where you are.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #7

THOR #22781
I have a spare mounted on rim, potentially changing a tire shouldn't be that challenging. I indicated I had tire.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Chunker makes a very good point..... I also carry the Viair RV Air Compressor for my 19.5" tires and it works great. I also carry a spare tire as well as a backup.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
I have a spare mounted on rim, potentially changing a tire shouldn't be that challenging. I indicated I had tire.
Then I would have called back and talked to another AAA Agent. They all ain't the smartest bulb in the bunch. Just like Thor if I talked to an agent that didn't see to know what they were doing, I would hang up and call back. I usually got someone better on the second or third call.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #10

THOR #22781
Also carry compressor that's how I got to Discount Tire.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #11

THOR #22781
Thanks...
Old 11-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
So to Summarize:
AAA could not help you with a tire issue on a 16" tire 12 miles out of Lufkin (with a dozen tire shops and at least half a dozen wrecker services) and you even had a good spare that could have been used.

Not a good look for AAA.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #13

THOR #22781
Agree disappointing
Old 11-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #14

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Chunker makes a very good point..... I also carry the Viair RV Air Compressor for my 19.5" tires and it works great. I also carry a spare tire as well as a backup.
One of the nice things about our Diesel Pusher. Comes with compressor for airbags and a bayonet fitting and air hose that reaches all the tires.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #15

State: Louisiana
THOR #16916
We have used AAA for years on auto, but the last time we called for help with a battery - which was under warranty from them - we were told nobody was available to replace the battery, so the warranty was no good. We ended up having to go buy one elsewhere and put it in ourselves. We are a bit rural, but they've had people come out here before, so I think they must have lost some of the providers.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:43 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
In the end they didn't come out, so what was their final reasoning?

Is it that they refused to even come out, except for the one that charge $73 that may not have been part of AAA?

You asked for recommendations, I have NEVER purchased a 3rd party Roadside Assistance plan. ( except 2 years with Coach Net which came free with my RV)

I recommend adding Roadside with your insurance policy. I have Progressive. If I wanted to buy a 3rd Party and wanted the best I would go Coach Net, if I wanted to save money I would go with Good Sams.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:46 PM   #17

THOR #22781
I agree I believe there are not sufficient providers, that said AAA should quantify there coverage/response capabilities relative to geographic locations.

The premium for coverage is not discounted based on AAA's inability too fulfill their advertised services.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #18

THOR #22781
CoachNet maybe a consideration.

Thanks...
Old 11-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
I had a similar experience. I was going to include it in a post about our first RV trip but I will substitute this reply for that. On our second day out we had a flat on the inside driver's side dual. The good thing about the flat was that I found out that I have a TPMS on the Ford E350. It popped up immediately that I had low pressure. We were on Highway 101 about 45 minutes south of Eureka, in the mountains. Called State Farm Roadside assistance, no one could make it to the next day. Called AAA (even though we didn't pay the extra for an RV). They recommended several different places (where we would pay out of pocket). One of them was basically two blocks away. No one would come. We called another company which basically must be some type of dispatcher who searches around for a fee. They wanted $750. State Farm said that they would pay it. This $750 company didn't show up for three hours, I kept calling and then they said no one would be available until the next day. I believe that the few services in the area are just shopping around until they can get the most dollars possible.

I didn't have a jack or a lug nut wrench (I couldn't get it to budge with my breaker bar and socket) so we stayed overnight at an RV park that luckily was nearby. I got up very early, filled the flat dual with my VIAIR RV compressor (the auto shutoff feature was definitely worth the price), and creeped along at 40 mph until the pressure would drop to 40 psig. I then would stop, fill it up, and continue. I did this four times to go 30 miles to Fortuna where the Les Schwab Tire Center fixed my flat for free (it was a nail or screw which I could see while I was filling up the tire). The Les Schwab Tire Center used a Harbor Freight 12 ton pneumatic over hydraulic bottle jack to lift the RV. I bought one a little ways down the road along with an "X" style lug wrench to give me plenty of leverage on the lug nut in the dished part of the wheel. The pneumatic over hydraulic jack keeps you from having to lift the vehicle while you reach under it. I use my VIAIR for the pneumatic part. It lifts slower than at the Schwab Tire Center but it works. I might have to drive up on a leveling block in order to fit the jack under the jack point if I have a flat in the front.

I noticed that the Schwab Tire Center had service trucks so I asked them if they would have come up to fix my flat. Yes they would have at $139/hr. Since they were about 30 minutes away it probably would have been one hour travel and maybe 1.5 hours to fix the flat (I also carry a spare). Next time if the roadside service doesn't come I will call a tire center. If that doesn't work then I will change my own tire.

I asked the Schwab Tire Center why they fixed the flat for free. They said that they wanted my business in the future. I will go out of my way to buy my next set of tires at a Schwab (I won't drive all the way to Fortuna).
Old 11-23-2022, 08:33 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Put a review on AAA website so that all can see
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote