Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2022, 02:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #26005
RV Life

Has anyone used RV Life for GPS? Im looking into this as waze will take me the shortest route but probably not RV friendly either.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:54 AM   #2

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Oklahoma
THOR #26486
great question we just signed up for this app as well (I remember using the atlas and mapping it out back in the day)...curious to see what people say
Old 04-14-2022, 03:08 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I think this thread may give you some insight.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5...gps-29627.html

I was deeply disappointed. It got so bad; I could not use it to finish my trip. I went back to Waze.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I can't find a use for it.
That map and program does not think, even remotely, like I do.
I tried more than I usually do due to the graciousness of our host here at this forum.

I failed miserably, totally.
I'm sure it's me and not them. Many thousands of folks are happy with it.
I have 12(ish) map apps I use(we do expeditionary type trips).
The app you ask about is the one I can't figure out.

And
Carry a paper atlas also.
Our 10" screen couldn't give us the detail we needed to see farm roads ending 20 miles away(or not) through the maize maze of farm roads in southern Nebraska.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrinh15 View Post
Has anyone used RV Life for GPS? Im looking into this as waze will take me the shortest route but probably not RV friendly either.
I've got a trip mapped out that we will start on at the end of this month (10 days).

I have the App installed and tried to run it without loading a trip and got nowhere. It appears to require a planned trip loaded in order to function, but I may be wrong.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It appears to require a planned trip loaded in order to function, but I may be wrong.
That explains why I failed.
We never plan a trip until we're within a relatively short distance from the destination.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I've got a trip mapped out that we will start on at the end of this month (10 days).

I have the App installed and tried to run it without loading a trip and got nowhere. It appears to require a planned trip loaded in order to function, but I may be wrong.
You can enter current location and destination without a planned trip. Used it a bit ago to check the distance and default route from Cleveland to Lincoln, NE. I had to play with it. The issue I had was it wanted to use an old userid which wasn’t associated with my current RV Life Pro subscription.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:18 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We have a roughly 5 hour (250 miles) trip planned in mid May. I sat down and mapped it out with the app a while back. Since this is a somewhat familiar trip, it will be a good test. I'll report back on my experience after the trip.

I really have high hopes... I'd like to add this as an extra tool for trip planning. However, next summer will become a little more footloose with more time in retirement... so more spur of the moment side trips.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:43 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
We have a roughly 5 hour (250 miles) trip planned in mid May. I sat down and mapped it out with the app a while back. Since this is a somewhat familiar trip, it will be a good test. I'll report back on my experience after the trip.

I really have high hopes... I'd like to add this as an extra tool for trip planning. However, next summer will become a little more footloose with more time in retirement... so more spur of the moment side trips.
I had it pre programmed to go to a know destination about 50 miles from house. About 3 miles before the exit I knew to take, it had me take another exit to start going back in the other direction It would be like having it give you directions to the St Louis Arch, and as you coming from Ohio direction you can see the Arch and start to get excited, but it tells you to take a exit before the River and head back to Indianapolis.

But the worse part for me, was the it's concept of stops or lack of of concept of way points. Given that it had hosed up the directions, I try to tell it I completed my first stop to go to 2nd stop. It would NOT let me. So it kept tryin to take me backwards

If I see a few people crow about something, I may try again. I do appreciate the intent of the App and hope they get it figured out. I can accept bugs, but the issues i encountered were showstoppers. I just use Waze and I am good. Any bridge that is too low for my , I don't think I would be the 1st to hit it because I am at 12'2". Maybe 12' 1" as I run my tires kind of low
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-15-2022, 02:50 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You can enter current location and destination without a planned trip. Used it a bit ago to check the distance and default route from Cleveland to Lincoln, NE. I had to play with it. The issue I had was it wanted to use an old userid which wasn’t associated with my current RV Life Pro subscription.
Could that be a new feature? I had to plan my trip on my desktop in one program and then load it to the phone app. One in the phone app, you could not change, edit or alter so if you wish be spontaneous it will annoy you endlessly to turn around. I am on trip now, but I was gonna wait another few months before trying again.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:10 AM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Could that be a new feature? I had to plan my trip on my desktop in one program and then load it to the phone app. One in the phone app, you could not change, edit or alter so if you wish be spontaneous it will annoy you endlessly to turn around. I am on trip now, but I was gonna wait another few months before trying again.
Not sure but I’ve used this before. Open the RV Life app and the click GPS at the bottom. The next scree will ask for current location and destination, no trip required.

Just check my trip starting tomorrow and it gave me 2 RV safe routes and one Auto alternative route. The primary route is the same as what the Garmin RV770LMT routes.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Not sure but I’ve used this before. Open the RV Life app and the click GPS at the bottom. The next scree will ask for current location and destination, no trip required.

Just check my trip starting tomorrow and it gave me 2 RV safe routes and one Auto alternative route. The primary route is the same as what the Garmin RV770LMT routes.
Sounds like new features to me. I do see where I can enter a route directly in the app. I entered for a trip I will make today and calculated time is 50 minutes longer than Waze, actual time. I know where I am going.

It still does not rotate the phone horizontal but I may play with the phone app more. If it is not user friendly or beneficial the planning may stipple be of use just to see things on where you wanna go.

BTW all my previously planned trips are still showing. Because I could not complete them step by step per the planned route, I could not tell the system the trip is complete. So it was delete or leave as. Maybe they fixed that too?
Old 04-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I can't find a use for it.
That map and program does not think, even remotely, like I do.
I tried more than I usually do due to the graciousness of our host here at this forum.

I failed miserably, totally.
The app you ask about is the one I can't figure out.

Our 10" screen couldn't give us the detail we needed to see farm roads ending 20 miles away(or not) through the maize maze of farm roads in southern Nebraska.
I guess this means it does NOT get the Duck Seal Approval

I have 90 mile trip I am about to leave for. It says 2 hours and 20 minutes? That is 40 mph and it is all Interstate. Waze has 1hr 30 min. So I click on the details for RV GPS and take a look at this map... it seems to be upside down and reversed at the same time

Now truth be told, I want this app to work. I tried earlier when I 1st tried using it to get with Support to offer some suggestions. They just seemed to acknowledge the deficiencies as I am sure they know the issues better than anyone. I am sure it will get better so like you, out of respect for RV Life and my ultimate appreciation for their gratuitous offer, I will continue to try as long as they are willing to accept open and honest feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220415-083854_RV LIFE.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	36956  
Old 04-16-2022, 02:10 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

That's making a trip.

They now have a "MAP" option at the bottom to show you your location on the map just like Google Maps.

They also have a "TRIP" option at the bottom which gives you a 3 page "info" screen, but no way to access your RV Trip Life trips even though you are signed in to the App. On the "HOME" button it offers to allow me to download offline maps for Florida and when I click on that it wants me to buy an RV Life Pro subscription and upgrade from BASIC even though I already have an RV Life Pro membership. So now I sign out of the App and sign back in and my Trip shows up.

We'll see how it works at the end of the month.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:10 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
That's making a trip.

They now have a "MAP" option at the bottom to show you your location on the map just like Google Maps.

They also have a "TRIP" option at the bottom which gives you a 3 page "info" screen, but no way to access your RV Trip Life trips even though you are signed in to the App. On the "HOME" button it offers to allow me to download offline maps for Florida and when I click on that it wants me to buy an RV Life Pro subscription and upgrade from BASIC even though I already have an RV Life Pro membership. So now I sign out of the App and sign back in and my Trip shows up.

We'll see how it works at the end of the month.
There are a lot of new features / changes since I had last used.

It had me driving in circles today, but once I got on Interstate about 30 miles from City it seemed to know the directions. That was on a GPS Trip. The Planning Wizard is better than before, I was able to edit a previous trip that did not work to a new one for my return home Sunday with a few stops. They seemed to have got over their block where a stop is like camping out?

Why the newly modified trip does not go to the RV App without logging out and back in just baffles me.

Still waiting to see if you can making changes to the trip with the app or if you have to go back into the wizard.

I still think think they should allow you to plan a duration time for each stop, and once trip begin it should show ETA for next stop and your estimated arrival for the entire trip.

Message for new features attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-15 231505.png
Views:	28
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	36958