Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2023, 10:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
RV Parky

We have been using the RV Parky app to help plan our trips for the last several years. It has been a useful tool to find places to stay for the night on the road. We also use it to plan our fuel stops and eats while traveling. The google earth feature on the mapping section allows us to scope out accessibility to get the rig in and out.

Long story short RV Parky has now limited you to five stops on the route planner unless you sign up for a monthly $4.99 or yearly $19.99 fee.
It truly sux that we now have to pay for what we once got for free.

My question for the group, before we pull the trigger for the annual RV Parky fee, is there a better app out there to plan RV travel? If so, why do you feel that way?
Tx,
Mark

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:11 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We have been using the RV Parky app to help plan our trips for the last several years. It has been a useful tool to find places to stay for the night on the road. We also use it to plan our fuel stops and eats while traveling. The google earth feature on the mapping section allows us to scope out accessibility to get the rig in and out.

Long story short RV Parky has now limited you to five stops on the route planner unless you sign up for a monthly $4.99 or yearly $19.99 fee.

My question for the group, before we pull the trigger for the annual RV Parky fee, is there a better app out there to plan RV travel? If so, why do you feel that way?
Tx,
Mark
Rec.gov
Reserveamerica
State parks
Old 04-25-2023, 11:28 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I'll continue to use google maps for initial route planning. RV Parky will stay in my quiver as another important tool to narrow down what campgrounds are in the area of my planned stops. I take all this information and plug it into a spreadsheet with miles to drive, campgrounds to stay in, rest stops to take, recreational opportunities, etc. I print this out and stick it in my atlas in the coach. It works for me but I also lament that free stuff now has a cost.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:30 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:

Tx,
Mark

Have you tried the RV Life Trip Wizard? Yeah, subscription required after the trial but it's a great trip PLANNING tool - the APP/GPS - not so great.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:56 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I will second the RV Life Trip Wizard suggestion. I still sometimes use and like RVParky, but use the Wiz for the plan. For daily navigation, I use a Garmin RV unit. It's not perfect, due to no current traffic. So I usually check Waze before we head out just to be aware of road closure or major accident.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:24 AM   #6

THOR #14698
RV Life Pro looks promising. Is it worth the $60 a year they are asking for it?
Anyone tried the Dyrt Pro app? It is listed at $36 a year.

I truly miss the days when we used to get in the old 24' class C armed with a road atlas and just wung it!
These days our class A @ 12 1/2" tall and 48' long with the toad requires just a bit more planning
Once again thanks for the suggestions keep um coming!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 04-26-2023, 01:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
RV Life Pro looks promising. Is it worth the $60 a year they are asking for it?
Anyone tried the Dyrt Pro app? It is listed at $36 a year.

I truly miss the days when we used to get in the old 24' class C armed with a road atlas and just wung it!
These days our class A @ 12 1/2" tall and 48' long with the toad requires just a bit more planning
Once again thanks for the suggestions keep um coming!
I looked at and canceled Dryt. Didn’t like it and don’t remember why so please don’t ask.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:04 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Threads like this make me wonder what happened to Americans. The Pilgrims didn't have an app when then boarded the Mayflower. Neither did Lewis and Clark when they headed up the Missouri. If we were sent back in time to the 1850s we would have never loaded the wagon and hit the Oregon Trail because we didn't have an app. What happened to us?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:43 AM   #9

THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Threads like this make me wonder what happened to Americans. The Pilgrims didn't have an app when then boarded the Mayflower. Neither did Lewis and Clark when they headed up the Missouri. If we were sent back in time to the 1850s we would have never loaded the wagon and hit the Oregon Trail because we didn't have an app. What happened to us?
Simple - We got RVs.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:57 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
I can't beat that... best I can do is my family didn't have air conditioning or color TV until I graduated high school... no calculators in school (let alone cell phones)... no TV cable...

I would say we walked to school uphill both ways in hip deep snow... but you'd know I was lying about that!
Old 04-26-2023, 03:00 AM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
Simple - We got RVs.
RVs were around long before GPS cell phones and apps.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:05 AM   #12

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
True Dat!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 04-26-2023, 03:11 AM   #13

THOR #14698
Quote:
The 21st century Lt.!
I betcha Lewis & Clark would have liked to have had a Garmin!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 04-26-2023, 10:45 AM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I've been using Roadtrippers Plus the past few years in conjunction with Waze. I've been pretty happy with the combination of the two.

I typically build the routes on my PC and then can look at them on the phone app.

You can send a link to your Roadtrippers route for other people to see and you can also export to a GPX file if you want to import it into your Garmin RV GPS.

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/?a4=t!...copy&z=3.76618
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 6.41.01 AM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	41693  
Old 04-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I can't beat that... best I can do is my family didn't have air conditioning or color TV until I graduated high school... no calculators in school (let alone cell phones)... no TV cable...

I would say we walked to school uphill both ways in hip deep snow... but you'd know I was lying about that! [emoji38]
We were taught to use slide rules in math classes

1.5 mile hilly walk to school

I still update maps and my atlas however Google Earth is well used

GPS usage is primarily lane and exit guidance
Old 04-26-2023, 12:12 PM   #16

State: New York
THOR #29532
Quote:

Tx,
Mark
Nowadays, if you really have it under your fingers and it works, i'd say pay for it. Totally unrelated but I loaded my house up with insteon switches and programmed my house to do everything automatically. Insteon offered the service. During the pandemic, I guess people stopped buying their hardware. The company went bellyup and took their servers down with them which left the users with some pretty expensive dumb switches. Moral of the story, I'd have paid a whole lot more to get the servers back. almost a year later the company was acquired and the server restored. So, I would say yes, support them with a subscription.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:43 PM   #17

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Simple - We got RVs.
I have to agree with LT and add if you have a RV, why does one worry about where they will stay?

If I was driving my car, I may worry about what hotel only to save money and get one with WiFi and breakfast included. But in my RV, I can live off the fat of the land anywhere. I had a trip 3 weeks ago, and never even extended the slide.

Now I have reserved some campsites, but that was because that campsite was my destination. Not a place to stay on my way, if that make sense. Point is I google and get all the info I need. I even have Garmin RV890 but never used it to find a RV Park.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:50 PM   #18

THOR #27719
Quote:
Quote:
Simple - We got RVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I think we were talking about pre-RV navigating/exploring.