Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Towing & Weight ???

When towing 4 wheels down why does weight matter?

I can physically push a Chevy Suburban down the road but I can not stop it by myself. So, I understand the importance of brakes on a towed vehicle. Going up a long steepgrade does cause more stain than a flat highway. Maybe this is the reason tow weight is important? But, a class C and a class A can have the same engine. Are the frames that different for towing?

I understand Tow Ball Weight (sort of) but 4 wheels down towing does not affect this. There is some tongue weight when towing 4 wheels down but no fulcrum affect.

So if you can (nicely) explain why tow weight when 4 wheels are down matters, I will gladly listen.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
1. Acceptable acceleration: All else being equal, the heavier the load, the longer it will take to go from 0 to 60. At some point, the amount of time it takes becomes unacceptable for safe departures at stop signs, as well as interstate on ramps.

2. As you mention, hill climbing. The heavier the load, the more it takes to keep it going while climbing a hill. Eventually, with a heavy enough load, the vehicle wouldn't be able to make any progress at all and would come to a stop. (That would be an extreme case.)

3. Structural integrity. The motive force is applied at the back wheels. Between the back wheels and the TOAD are various frame members and the hitch. During acceleration, those frame members will have forces exerted on them by the wheels pulling and the TOAD resisting the change in velocity. Those forces could cause the frame to flex or break if the load is significantly heavier than the frame was designed to handle. When stopping the same is true, but in reverse. The TOAD will push on those frame members, even if it has brakes of its own. (Think: panic stop)

4. Transmission (and differential) heat and wear. The transmission transfers the energy produced by the engine to the back wheels through gears, etc... Friction goes up as the weight to be moved increases. (Think of two gears meshing. With more resistance to the motion, the gears would press harder on each other, and scrape harder as they pull apart during rotation, most especially while accelerating or climbing hills. This happens A LOT as the transmission operates, and generates heat from friction. There's also heat from bearings, which increases with engine speed, and probably other internal sources.) Transmissions are designed to handle a certain load, and to expel a certain amount of generated heat. Put more load than that on them, and they could fail mechanically, or (more likely) overheat.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Eventually: you have to stop all of that weight...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
OK, makes sense. Thank you.

It must be mostly structural integrity and differential (also Trans on some models). Maybe even brake ratings.

Looking at the E350 vs E450 they have different towing capabilities yet the same motor and transmission. But, they have different differential and a different rear end width. That rear end is probably beefier and contributes to higher Toad ability. I believe the E450 has a stronger brake system.