Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Texas
THOR #9455
Sanitize Water Holding Tank

Does anyone sanitize the fresh water holding tank and if so how? Since the drain is not on the bottom I'm thinking there is always a little water left in the tank and water become stagnant after a while. I can't figure out a way to get bleach or sanitizer into the tank. Any suggestions.
Tucker

Old 03-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Many writeups on this subject. Do some searched on the web as well.

Drain your fresh water tank then add bleach to the outside water tank fill port. If I remember correctly you use a 1/4 cup of reg bleach (none sented) to every 10 gal of water? So 40 gal tank = 1 cup of bleach. But do not pour full streghth... make a funnel and delute to like two gal of water, then top off with fresh water (I always filter it before it enters my tank), Run water in all sinks + showers until you smell the bleach. Let sit for like 6 hours (or over night is better), then flush tank and water lines TWICE. Then you shoud be good to do.

I like to driver my RV around the it sloshed around in the tank when full of bleach and when im full of fresh water to get the top of the tank ciean.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Absolutely nothing wrong with LWR's method as I have used it for many years

don't like the bleach smell so switched to peroxide many years back. About an ounce per 10 gallons and you don't have to flush so much as it isn't the issue bleach is

In a heavily contaminated system then do as LWR's suggest, but for normal over winter or storage the peroxide works very well
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Peroxide method here as well but rarely do it. If you use it frequently and empty/refill it occasionally, you don't need to sanitize it. I'm very careful about what water goes in my tank. for the most part, City water supplies have enough bleach in it already to keep your teeth clean...and your fresh water tank.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Sanitize Fresh Water Tank

I use a rinsed out two gallon antifreeze jug and mix the same solution and then use my winterizing pump and pump the solution in the tank.
Coveman2
Old 03-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Peroxide method here as well but rarely do it. If you use it frequently and empty/refill it occasionally, you don't need to sanitize it. I'm very careful about what water goes in my tank. for the most part, City water supplies have enough bleach in it already to keep your teeth clean...and your fresh water tank.
Same here, only when the coach has been sitting for a time with the heel in the tank then I hit it with the peroxide

You really don't have to rinse longer than to see the bubbles come out the spigots which is a real advantage as well

Cost a bit more but I really don't like the bleach taste or smell and in many cafes that don't filter the water is it not pleasant

You nailed it when being careful when you fill the tank and with the water you use.

Many, many times I have watched the neighbor depart after using his black rinse hose on the spigot and the new arrival just hook up his NSF hose to the coach and think all is well. This is where you stop for a moment and either use a disinfectant wipe or spray after running a bit of water on the ground first. The same guy many times throws his hose on the ground when getting into the compartment.

Little things truly do matter.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! Lots of disinfectant helps keep everybody's stomachs feeling better
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:24 AM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #20039
How do I get the sanitizing solution in a Siesta?

I can't find the gravity fill anywhere! I don't know how to get the sanitation liquid in.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Betty you should have a port on the side near the tank

What model RV?

Some do add it to the hose as well and then connect it but you need to be filling the tank not in city water use mode

Check out the valves near your water pump to change from tank use to hose
Old 08-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #10

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I keep a spray bottle of 50/50 water to bleach mixture and spray the spigot and hose ends when first hooking up and when I leave, I also spray the sewer connection with the same solution when I am finished my tank dump.
Coveman2
Old 08-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I keep a spray bottle of 50/50 water to bleach mixture and spray the spigot and hose ends when first hooking up and when I leave, I also spray the sewer connection with the same solution when I am finished my tank dump.
Coveman2
Hopefully you are mixing the solution every time you need it. Bleach mixed with water and stored only lasts about a day if properly stored. After a day it loses its effectiveness. There's a ton of reading material available on the issue.

I used to do the same thing. Now I just use a Lysol disinfecting wipe.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
1 ounce of Hydrogen Peroxide: to each 10 gallons of freshwater...
Old 08-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #13

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Hopefully you are mixing the solution every time you need it. Bleach mixed with water and stored only lasts about a day if properly stored. After a day it loses its effectiveness. There's a ton of reading material available on the issue.

I used to do the same thing. Now I just use a Lysol disinfecting wipe.
Bleach or the chlorine in the bleach does decay slowly over time and the decay rate is increased by temperature and UV rays

Dilution really doesn't play a large a factor as time, UV, and temperature

Even when bleach/chlorine becomes chloramine it is still biocidal and is effective in killing microbes

Free Chlorine as is maintained in potable water by law kills on contact layer by layer. Other chlorine donors kill over time and are effective also

Biocides as you are using, definitely have a longer shelf life and 1/2 life

Many ways to sanitize and they all work albeit in different ways

Common sense goes a long ways and that is where the hose storage and handling come into play
Old 08-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
1 ounce of Hydrogen Peroxide: to each 10 gallons of freshwater...

Bob, I’ve heard of using hydrogen peroxide but never looked up the process. One ounce/ten gallons sure is t very much! How long do you need to let it stand and is draining and refilling sufficient or do you need multiple rinses? Thank you.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If it was my tank: I'd fill it, and add the peroxide. Then I'd go for a good "sloshing around" type of ride, and dump it...