Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler
State: Kansas
THOR #19033
Satellite TV

What is best way to hook Dish Playmaker up to watch same thing on all TV's? Cable connection on exterior does not work with dish. Had to run cable through window to receiver. That is not good.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:34 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's a common misconception that you can have a single Satellite Antenna input and watch 'channels' on all of your TVs... .it doesn't work that way in your home, either - each TV must have it's own RECEIVEr, which also requires it's own Satellite Antenna INPUT...

so, a Playmaker with a single coax output, will send a Satellite antenna to a SINGLE receiver, which plays on one TV.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:35 AM   #3

THOR #4735
the CABLE connection on your RV is only for CABLE tv, not satellite tv, so ,yes, you must find another way to run a coax cable DIRECTLY from the satellite antenna to the receiver.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:51 AM   #4

Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
I have a switch box in my MH. I can watch satellite on any of my three tvs's from one source at the same time or watch satellite on any tv while watching local on the other tv's, or DVD on one tv and sat and local on others. Any combo. It can be done but you need a switch box to make it happen.

the only drawback is the connections. All must be either coax in and out or HDMI in and out. There is not a hybrid on the market. I researched them well a year ago. So with that said if your sat box is HDMI all your tv connections must be alike. If your sat output is coax then all TVs must be coax.

Mine are all coaxed but Dish has a wally receiver which is both coax and HDMI solving my dilemma. DTV is all HDMI.

i hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:59 AM   #5

THOR #4735
right, my response was to the most basic 'why can't I...' question - sure, anything is 'possible', but most any RV is not built with this in mind. Most any of us who are serious about Satellite TV can get creative and find some way to satisfy our wants, but the RV manufacturers haven't figured out, yet, how to get a single simple portable satellite antenna to 'do everything everyone wants to do', all in one RV, with multiple TVs.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
If I'm understanding you correctly:

1) Your cable-in on the exterior of your coach DOES work correctly (i.e., if you hooked up to park cable, you'd get the signal to all of your tv's).
2) This doesn't seem to work for your Dish Playmaker. You want to take the video out from the Playmaker and distribute it to all of your tv's.

If #1 is true, then you already have a splitter somewhere in your coach that takes that single feed in and distributes to all tv's.

If #2 is also true, what you need to do is figure out WHERE that splitter is in your coach. (They put those in crazy locations; mine is behind the built-in dresser drawers, where you would never think to look!) Once you find it, take your video out from your Dish Playmaker and run it to the input side of that splitter.

Our rig does exactly what you want yours to do, but it is a 2020, so that is probably why there is a little easier solution on mine than what I just gave you, but this one won't cost you hardly any money!

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector57 View Post
What is best way to hook Dish Playmaker up to watch same thing on all TV's? Cable connection on exterior does not work with dish. Had to run cable through window to receiver. That is not good.
I believe your Freedom Traveler is Camping World’s version of the Hurricane 27 or 29M. We have a Hurricane 29M, and I added the Dish Playmaker to it. I did it by adding a pass through jack under the outside TV. I ran the cable inside the storage compartment and up into the dinette seat. From there up the bathroom wall following the path that the TV’s HDMI cable uses to get to the cabinets over the dinette where the DVD is located. I installed the dish receiver in that cabinet. There should be a 120V outlet there for power for the receiver. I believe the only things that will use HDMI cables in your coach are your DVD player and your Dish TV receiver. They will run through a switch/splitter which you should have. I can’t remember if it is a 2 input by 3 output or not, but that’s what you need. This switch/splinter sends the HDMI signals out to all of your TVs. And of course it’s already wired into your coach. If you only have a 1x3 splitter you will have to unplug the DVD player and plug in your Dish receiver to get a HDMI signal out to each TV. If you don’t want that hassle you will need to buy at least a 2x3 switch/splitter. We bought a 4x4 from Amazon. I know, we have too many electronic gadgets.

One more thing. All of the TVs have both coax and HDMI cables running to them. Dish TV and your DVD player uses the HDMI and over the air and cable TV uses the coax cable. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	24503