Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flwestcoast View Post
If I do upgrades will first meter work? I can’t get Davids to link, blank page, could be operator error…

Now I am confused again on fridge. So it DOES have internal inverter? Best question for me to be clear is if I have NO house battery connected but I am hooked into shore power or genie running Will fridge work?��

Disregard how it works internally. The only thing we need to know is that it needs to run off 12 VDC power, so needs to be connected to batteries. That’s not to say that batteries can not be charged at same time that they power fridge. Solar, alternator, and or converter can charge batteries at same time fridge is being powered.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
What exactly is your existing battery- make and model like the fridge? You can usually easily add another and wire it in parallel (+ to + and - to - with jumper cables) with the existing one. That will let you run your fridge overnight with no solar, generator or shore power recharging which is your basic need. A single 100 amp hour lithium would also do the job if you don't want to add another battery but that will cost $400+.

David
Old 09-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #23

Model: Quantum 24CR
State: Florida
THOR #24306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Disregard how it works internally. The only thing we need to know is that it needs to run off 12 VDC power, so needs to be connected to batteries. That’s not to say that batteries can not be charged at same time that they power fridge. Solar, alternator, and or converter can charge batteries at same time fridge is being powered.
So if my battery is dead, gone, won’t hold a charge and I can’t replace immediately will fridge run off shore, genie, etc? Without a battery at all in the equation?

Yes, good reminder about the weight issue. This has occc of 833. Would never be able to use this coach as a live in…. I came from a 42’ tag DP that terrified my mom. I was thinking would break even with 2 lithium’s vs 1 heavy lead acid. Also another reason to try to do one solar panel vs multiple for more watts.

Any and all thoughts, advice much appreciated everyone!!
Old 09-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Well stated.

If it was my coach and I wanted it to perform for me, this is what I’d do:
- purchase two new 12v flooded lead acid batteries from Costco or Sams. Group 24 will probably fit in the space under the steps. They will last a minimum 3yrs as long as you check the water monthly. Only $80 x 2
- either add a 2nd 100w solar panel or (as OP suggested) remove current 100w panel & replace with 300w flex panel ($300) + upgraded solar controller ($50-100)

That way you will rarely need to worry abt your house batteries powering your 12V fridge where ever you are
Old 09-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
So if my battery is dead, gone, won’t hold a charge and I can’t replace immediately will fridge run off shore, genie, etc? Without a battery at all in the equation?
Yes, your converter will still power the DC buss so all DC loads, including the fridge, will continue to operate if SP plugged in or the generator is running.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #26

THOR #24306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yes, your converter will still power the DC buss so all DC loads, including the fridge, will continue to operate if SP plugged in or the generator is running.
Ahhhhh forgot about the converter!!!

Thank you, relieved now I understand! Yayyyy!!!!

I need lithium. When and how is yet to be determined

THANK YOU ALL for your advice, knowledge and above all patience with me!!

Monica
Old 09-22-2021, 09:39 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut....

I had a single battery go really dead overnight a long time ago (essentially an open circuit) and the converter wouldn’t operate correctly until the battery was replaced. Newer equipment may be different, but I wouldn’t want to try running the electrical system without a battery in place to help regulate voltage. I know you probably don’t mean literally operating without battery in place.

Regarding weight, yes, a second Group 31 would add close to 60 pounds, so it may be possible to add an extra lead battery, but it’s a significant amount of your OCCC which is in short supply. It’s unfortunate Thor didn’t build the motorhome with 200 Ah of lithium capacity to start with.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #28

THOR #24306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
What exactly is your existing battery- make and model like the fridge? You can usually easily add another and wire it in parallel (+ to + and - to - with jumper cables) with the existing one. That will let you run your fridge overnight with no solar, generator or shore power recharging which is your basic need. A single 100 amp hour lithium would also do the job if you don't want to add another battery but that will cost $400+.

David
Oops missed this post.

I would rather go for a single cheaper lithium now and leave everything else until a bigger redo in future. Sounds like I can do that with my existing equipment, with the caveat my current controller will be slower snd less efficient. Or change controller now also. Am I correct in that? What is the model number/ make of your BMS you suggested?
Old 09-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #29

THOR #24306
Now THAT would have been fantastic!! Lithium from factory, I would have gladly optioned it that way if it had been an option����
Old 09-22-2021, 09:53 PM   #30

THOR #20289
If you want the cadillac of lithium batteries, buy Battleborns at $900 each, maybe cheaper with discounts. But the SOK, Amperetime, or Big Batteries are priced at half but don't have a cold weather charging BMS cutout, but otherwise good. Just don't try to charge them in freezing weather.

You current charger will work ok, it just won't charge as fast or as full, but no real problem otherwise.

David
Old 09-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #31

THOR #24306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
If you want the cadillac of lithium batteries, buy Battleborns at $900 each, maybe cheaper with discounts. But the SOK, Amperetime, or Big Batteries are priced at half but don't have a cold weather charging BMS cutout, but otherwise good. Just don't try to charge them in freezing weather.

You current charger will work ok, it just won't charge as fast or as full, but no real problem otherwise.

David
Thank you! I’m relieved my cockamamie plan might work out after all!
I think I’ll save Battleborns til future upgrade and go with the “lower priced” option so I won’t feel bad if they don’t last as long . I don’t have any plans or desire to be anywhere cold ( below 80).
Am I correct that it’s a simple take out wet cell and insert lithium then change setting on controller? Easy peasy if that’s all…

Thank you!!
Old 09-22-2021, 11:19 PM   #32

THOR #20289
Quote:
Thank you! I’m relieved my cockamamie plan might work out after all!
I think I’ll save Battleborns til future upgrade and go with the “lower priced” option so I won’t feel bad if they don’t last as long . I don’t have any plans or desire to be anywhere cold ( below 80).
Am I correct that it’s a simple take out wet cell and insert lithium then change setting on controller? Easy peasy if that’s all…

Thank you!!
That's all! Take the old one out and replace it with a lithium version like this one: https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...%2C2212&sr=8-5.

And in S Florida if you don't have to worry about freezing temps, I am sure the cheaper ones will last as long as Battleborns.

David
Old 09-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
100w panel gives 5 amps

I have a 100 watt panel. Puts out 5 Amps, so a 10 hour sunny day you get 50 amp-hrs. If the fridge draws 75 amps per 24 hrs, that is 25 Amp-hr deficit without parasite you need at least 2 panels and 2 batteries with 200 Amp total capacity min
Old 09-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #34

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I have a 100 watt panel. Puts out 5 Amps, so a 10 hour sunny day you get 50 amp-hrs. If the fridge draws 75 amps per 24 hrs, that is 25 Amp-hr deficit without parasite you need at least 2 panels and 2 batteries with 200 Amp total capacity min
Yes, but…

The 5 amps are only produced when the sun is directly overhead in a blue sky situation.
Anything other than that is less amps.

I’m in Southern California and I do not believe that I have ever generated 10 hours of 5 amp power from a single panel.

Right???
Old 09-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #35

THOR #20289
Right.

A horizontally mounted 100 watt panel will put out about 30 Ahs in sunny weather. Less in higher lattitudes or past summer, more if lower latitudes near summer solstice. But never 50 Ahs.

David
Old 09-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #36

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Solar fridge

Does your fridge operate on D C power?
Old 09-29-2021, 10:11 PM   #37

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
Does your fridge operate on D C power?
The OP has a 12v only fridge
Old 09-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #38

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Power(watts)=volts x amps
Typical solar panel puts out 100 watts
12v x 8.3 amps = 98.4 watts
So, 1 solar panel will power the fridge under normal operating conditions

Loaded fridge may require more power
Old 09-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #39

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Ted,
Thank you for your reply��
I have the shunt in my Amazon cart, how simple is this to wire to battery. I have an irrational fear of auto batteries, again, irrational…

David,
Here is data sheet showing all equipment including fridge. Is this what you needed? Thank you again!

I am really hoping as the fridge has its own inverter I will be able to do a simple battery swap until ready/need more power throughout coach. My controller does have lithium setting.

Monica
It says it will cut off at 10.4 volts and won't restart till 11.7 volts in the specs
Old 09-29-2021, 11:49 PM   #40

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...artShunt_2.png
This one is nice