Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2024, 11:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #32624
Spare tire for Thor freedom elite 29 fe

I am new to the Thor and to this forum. I was looking at a thread on this subject, but it was from 2016, and itís now 2024. We donít have a spare for our RV. We have a road side assistance, but if the tire needs to be changed, we need to have a spare. The earlier thread was talking about the cost of the wheel and the tire. It was also recommending getting them from amazon. What is the best thing to do? Get an entire spare with both wheel and tire? Or just one or the other? I would think tire would be most logical. But I can also imagine wheel getting damage. Iím not mechanical, my husband is, but heís not computer literate. So bear with me. I assume they would go in a cargo hold which take up a lot of space. How do I find out what size to get? Look at the size on the existing tire? Are all 4 the same size? Or rely on the Thor manual for specs.

Old 05-20-2024, 12:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

Best you can determine the best approach you need to determine how you are going to use the Motorhome and how far you plan to travel.

I have over 30k miles on our current rig and no spare tire or wheel. In a class c we had a number of years ago we had a factory supplied spare without jack. That spare was never needed.

Bottom line, personal preference.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:14 AM   #3
It's 'towed', not toad.

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Go to big o or discount tire.
Tell them you want to buy a spare and a wheel.
They'll do it all for you with no mistakes or guesses or learning curve or research. If an alternative is needed, they'll have plenty of ways to complete the task.

Then go to and rv place and tell them you'd like to buy a spare tire mount, installed.

Thousands of people a week follow this path.

It makes life easy and happy with no fret.

There is no reason for you to have to learn if all the tires are the same size or bolt patterns or tire ply.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
All 6 tires and wheels are the same, BUT if you buy an aftermarket wheel for your Class C it may not fit all positions due to rubbing the brake caliper, the OEM wheels do not have this problem. Also, a lot of class C chassis have room underneath in front of the trailer hitch to carry a spare. Both of these topics have been discussed many times here on this Forum. Read more than one searched thread for more information.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:51 PM   #5

Model: Rize 18M
State: Washington
THOR #29407
Also look on eBay for an OEM take-off wheel and tire. I got the OEM wheel and tire with “0” miles for $325 including shipping. About 1/3 the price of the tire places or dealership.