Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 09:04 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My home based Starlink is spotty.
6,500 ft altitude not a thing in the way and it comes and goes.
3meg for a while yesterday.
107ish is as high as it goes.
I dont think there are 50 of us in a 50 mile circle who are on it.

Some brands of my Wi-Fi cameras won't recognize it as Wi-Fi.
My fire tv won't see it.
My router and extender names all attach as they always have and are still named the same as they always have been but star link passes through my router and still calls itself star link somehow.
Router I'm hooked to is called tp link extender, but speed test registers it as starlink, not the connection name
And
Even though I'm hooked up and using it right now, my phone says I dont have an internet connection.

It's jacking with some stuff and some other stuff doesn't care.

It's beta...i can live with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2022-05-25-14-43-46.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	37670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2022-05-25-14-43-57.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	37671  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:21 PM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Starlink for RV’s Officially Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My home based Starlink is spotty.
6,500 ft altitude not a thing in the way and it comes and goes.
3meg for a while yesterday.
107ish is as high as it goes.
I dont think there are 50 of us in a 50 mile circle who are on it.

Some brands of my Wi-Fi cameras won't recognize it as Wi-Fi.
My fire tv won't see it.
My router and extender names all attach as they always have and are still named the same as they always have been but star link passes through my router and still calls itself star link somehow.
Router I'm hooked to is called Dave, speed test registers it as starlink, not dave.
And
Even though I'm hooked up and using it right now, my phone says I dont have an internet connection.

It's jacking with some stuff and some other stuff doesn't care.

It's beta...i can live with it.

I’m a technology wiz so I’ll let you know if I see any setup / config opportunities thzt could improve things for you once I get my gear.

I know MacDaddy and others have been very pleased.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #23

THOR #13932
Just a reminder/new info:

Blink cameras have an excellent app, are wireless AND battery/5v operated AND display temperature.
If you have a hotspot in your RV a blink camera is an excellent way to see/talk to/listen to your pet or get notuce if movement is detected.
Temp triggers and sound triggers and movement triggers can be set to send text or email.
It's the easiest ever door camera.

Just something I was reminded of that mostly fits here in this thread.

One of these under your rv and you can watch/record your cat thief.

(I was thinking of what works on my Starlink. Blink cameras do, yi cameras do not.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture+_2022-05-25-14-35-37.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	37669  

Old 05-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Yellowstone National Park Tourist Spotted Parked With a Starlink Satellite on Tesla Hood
https://share.newsbreak.com/16397wrahttps://share.newsbreak.com/16397wra
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Elon Musk is the next Howard Hughes. He is the guy who started Tesla, SpaceX and StarLink. Tesla also is involved with solar power.

What he has done with Tesla and SpaceX are amazing and gives me confidence in StarLink.

I’ve watch the SpaceX launches and to me it is absolutely incredible that they can return a rocket booster to a small paltform on the ocean after a launch and reuse it….. versus the old Apollo days when the rockets fell into the ocean after launch and sank to the bottom.

You’d have to buy Tesla stock if you want to own a piece of what Musk is building… at least for now.
Well Judge, where do I send your cut?

Last week I had a chance to explore this thoroughly. While I don't see the benefit for me personally right now to this system over my T-Mobile Home Internet, I am amazed by all of the buzz and those that drop $600 and $130/mo at first chance. So following your advice, I did the best I could and took a large plunge into Tesla stock, at the time it was down 57% (around $650); so I figure it is good time. I just checked and stock was up to $757 so within a few days, I could sell now, buy the equipment, and have 2 to 3 years of Starlink paid for

FWIW, if you got any more advice for me, I am always willing to listen, I am never going argue with The Judge
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Patiently waiting for a couple years to see how the Starlink network handles the influx of subscribers. History of all data networks is that the more data "pumped through the pipe" the slower the network becomes.

Starlink was originally intended for internet access in underserved rural areas. It will be interesting to see how the metro subscriptions affect the rural data speed.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:53 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Patiently waiting for a couple years to see how the Starlink network handles the influx of subscribers. History of all data networks is that the more data "pumped through the pipe" the slower the network becomes.

Starlink was originally intended for internet access in underserved rural areas. It will be interesting to see how the metro subscriptions affect the rural data speed.
That may prove to be a miscalculation as 5G Networks continues to expand. But I always contend if I decide to go to the bottom of the Grand Canyon or similar obscure place, streaming internet is not going to be a priority. Heck, I use to go to Mexico (Cancun / Los Cabos) with no phones and internet never even thought about it.

What happens in the movies (no signal) where someone always needs help or an emergency has never happened to us. Heck even in Jurassic Park the satellite phone was in Dino Poop when they really needed it

Patiently waiting sounds smart. Somehow I got this vision that when my RV turns 10 years old, I will have to sell it to get RV Service from Dealers and into RV Parks that have the 10 year rule, the new RV I buy will come with TPMS, Lithium Batteries, Satellite Internet, Solar, hot water toilet, no Generator and 5 year / 100,000 mfg warranty.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #28

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
While you're certainly right about the speed as usage grows, I put an order in for one. I've been on the list for a residential unit since the list opened up, but live in a small valley in an area that otherwise has decent service, so it's likely not on the list as "underserved". The fastest available where I live is DSL - 3Mb down, 256Kb up. No cell service at all at my house, but it's pretty good if I walk up the road half a mile.

With my wife and I both working from home sometimes, and three teens, it'll be nice to have something faster than the DSL.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:12 PM   #29

THOR #13932
We have no cell service here.
Have you tried a directional whole house booster?
It took me from -131 to -11!
But now we Wi-Fi phone on star link.

Old 05-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #30

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Well Judge, where do I send your cut?

Last week I had a chance to explore this thoroughly. While I don't see the benefit for me personally right now to this system over my T-Mobile Home Internet, I am amazed by all of the buzz and those that drop $600 and $130/mo at first chance. So following your advice, I did the best I could and took a large plunge into Tesla stock, at the time it was down 57% (around $650); so I figure it is good time. I just checked and stock was up to $757 so within a few days, I could sell now, buy the equipment, and have 2 to 3 years of Starlink paid for

FWIW, if you got any more advice for me, I am always willing to listen, I am never going argue with The Judge

No worries dk….. the first stock tip is free before my commission kicks in! [emoji2]

I personally wouldn’t pay over $100/mo for home internet access….. unless there really was no other option.

That being said, what sold me on StarLink RV was the ability to pause and unpause. I figure I will only spend about $540 - $675 a year based on our typical travel plans each year, which is less than 2x what the old AT&T unlimited plan for RV’s used to cost and StarLink should be much better.

After reading some of Macdaddy’s posts and some other reviews, I thought it was worth a shot. At least half the campgrounds we stay at have marginal cell coverage at best. I figure StarLink has to be better most of the time. StarLink’s advantage is breadth of coverage more than it is speed.

If it doesn’t meet my expectations and / or once I sell the coach in 5 - 7 years, I can sell the hardware and recoup some of my upfront costs.

I also think people are overstating StarLink “congestion” and performance. Almost every man… woman…. and child has a cell phone these days while the number of StarLink users will be far less.

The cellular companies are going to focus on performace near medium and larger cities so they will be adding more 5G infrastructure there versus the more remote areas. The speeds of 5G require more densely populated cell towers as compared to 4G so 5G performance is more likely to fall off more drastically the further away you get from bigger cities as congestion increases.

In any case, I tend to be an early adopter of technology so I’ll see how it performs and will report back.

My hardware already shipped and is scheduled to be delivered later this week. The first big test will be to see if it works at all back in PA where my coach is stored and StarLink for Home is not yet operational.

Stay tuned…..
Old 06-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #31

THOR #12751
Initial StarLink for RV Testing

I received my StarLink for RV Kit today and wanted to do a quick review based on preliminary testing.

I have ordered a Fiberglass Telescopic Flagpole Kit that mounts on the ladder that I will use on my Magnitude. Once I get that setup I will be performing additional tests and report back.

For now I placed the dish on my deck in the back of the house. A couple of trees to the side but fairly open for the most part.

The system setup is about as straightforward as it gets and only takes a few minutes. Mounting the dish and running the wiring will take more time than the actual setup.

After connected the power and data cables, the unit booted up and I opened the StarLink app. I decided to name the Router SSID as Magnitude and picked a password.

The dish then started to move and go into a satellite search mode. I wasn't sure how well it would work or even if it would work because PA is technically in the "soon to be supported zone" in the eastern US. In some videos I watched the system was able to get online rather quickly. My unit was saying offline for about 5 minutes and I was wondering if it would work. It also said it could take up to 12 hours to check for obstructions.

A few minutes later the app indicated the system was online and I had Internet... even in an area where StarLink Home Internet is not yet available and I was on a waiting list before cancelling and ordering the RV Kit!

The app then indicated a software update was available so I let it go through the update process which only took about 2 minutes.

The StarLink App has a Speed Test that measure three speeds:

1. iPhone to Internet
2. Router to Internet
3. iPhone to Router

While it is still doing it's collection of data on obstructions, I was seeing the following speed ranges standing about 10 feet from the StarLink Router:

iPhone to Internet: 25 - 50Mbps Download / 6 -8Mbps Upload / 50 - 100ms Latency

Router to Internet: 65 - 150Mbps Download / 6 Mbps Upload

iPhone to Router: 40 - 180Mbps Download / 10 - 40Mbps Upload

Using Fast.com to measure the speed on my iPhone I saw 60Mbps Download / 5MBbps Upload and 51ms Unloaded / 128ms Loaded Latency.

So in the first hour of operation or so while the dish is still going through its optimization routine, I am pretty happy with the performance.... especially in a part of the country where StarLink is not fully deployed yet. I streamed YouTube TV from inside the house (about 25 feet away from the router outside on the deck) and the video quality was great with no buffering.

I think this will work perfectly for our needs 3 - 5 months a year. Now I just need to wait for the telescopic flagpole kit and some other items to be delivered so I can get it setup on the Magnitude and run some more tests. My biggest challenge will be how and where I run the wire from the dish to the router inside the coach.

The ladder is on the passenger side of the coach so I may try to run the cable from the ladder and above the awning and then into the coach where the awning control and LED light wiring runs and comes into the cabinet above the entry steps. There is also an AC outlet there so I could install the Router there and everything would be out of sight. I saw one guy who installed the Router in his Wet Bay outside because he didn't want to run the cable into the coach and he said it worked great so an inside cabinet should be just fine.

I would probably run the wire down the ladder and secure the end there so once I got to our campground I could just plug the cable into the dish and then raise the pole with the dish and be good to go.

I'll keep you posted.....

Additional Update

I took my laptop and sat on the couch in the living room.... three rooms away from the router outside. My Mac is only showing about 50% WiFi signal strength and Fast.com reported about 10Mbps but I am streaming YouTube TV with excellent audio and video quality and no buffering. I am also surfing and it does not seem too sluggish at all from this distance and speed. Impressed so far.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:

I received my StarLink for RV Kit today and wanted to do a quick review based on preliminary testing.
WooHoooooo!! It's like xmas!

You get your router outdoor weather proof kit yet? Haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220603_161022_resized.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	37857  
Old 06-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #33

THOR #20220
Quote:

I have ordered a Fiberglass Telescopic Flagpole Kit that mounts on the ladder that I will use on my Magnitude. Once I get that setup I will be performing additional tests and report back.

For now I placed the dish on my deck in the back of the house. A couple of trees to the side but fairly open for the most part.

The system setup is about as straightforward as it gets and only takes a few minutes. Mounting the dish and running the wiring will take more time than the actual setup.

After connected the power and data cables, the unit booted up and I opened the StarLink app. I decided to name the Router SSID as Magnitude and picked a password.

The dish then started to move and go into a satellite search mode. I wasn't sure how well it would work or even if it would work because PA is technically in the "soon to be supported zone" in the eastern US. In some videos I watched the system was able to get online rather quickly. My unit was saying offline for about 5 minutes and I was wondering if it would work. It also said it could take up to 12 hours to check for obstructions.

A few minutes later the app indicated the system was online and I had Internet... even in an area where StarLink Home Internet is not yet available and I was on a waiting list before cancelling and ordering the RV Kit!

The app then indicated a software update was available so I let it go through the update process which only took about 2 minutes.

The StarLink App has a Speed Test that measure three speeds:

1. iPhone to Internet
2. Router to Internet
3. iPhone to Router

While it is still doing it's collection of data on obstructions, I was seeing the following speed ranges standing about 10 feet from the StarLink Router:

iPhone to Internet: 25 - 50Mbps Download / 6 -8Mbps Upload / 50 - 100ms Latency

Router to Internet: 65 - 150Mbps Download / 6 Mbps Upload

iPhone to Router: 40 - 180Mbps Download / 10 - 40Mbps Upload

Using Fast.com to measure the speed on my iPhone I saw 60Mbps Download / 5MBbps Upload and 51ms Unloaded / 128ms Loaded Latency.

So in the first hour of operation or so while the dish is still going through its optimization routine, I am pretty happy with the performance.... especially in a part of the country where StarLink is not fully deployed yet. I streamed YouTube TV from inside the house (about 25 feet away from the router outside on the deck) and the video quality was great with no buffering.

I think this will work perfectly for our needs 3 - 5 months a year. Now I just need to wait for the telescopic flagpole kit and some other items to be delivered so I can get it setup on the Magnitude and run some more tests. My biggest challenge will be how and where I run the wire from the dish to the router inside the coach.

The ladder is on the passenger side of the coach so I may try to run the cable from the ladder and above the awning and then into the coach where the awning control and LED light wiring runs and comes into the cabinet above the entry steps. There is also an AC outlet there so I could install the Router there and everything would be out of sight. I saw one guy who installed the Router in his Wet Bay outside because he didn't want to run the cable into the coach and he said it worked great so an inside cabinet should be just fine.

I would probably run the wire down the ladder and secure the end there so once I got to our campground I could just plug the cable into the dish and then raise the pole with the dish and be good to go.

I'll keep you posted.....

Additional Update

I took my laptop and sat on the couch in the living room.... three rooms away from the router outside. My Mac is only showing about 50% WiFi signal strength and Fast.com reported about 10Mbps but I am streaming YouTube TV with excellent audio and video quality and no buffering. I am also surfing and it does not seem too sluggish at all from this distance and speed. Impressed so far.

I see your SSID can you give me the password?

Router SSID as Magnitude
Old 06-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #34

THOR #20220
Does starlink use 15 power only plug?
No other cables? Can see SSID and login?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #35

THOR #20220
Old 06-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #36

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post

There are two cables. One is a power cable that plugs into a 15A wall socket to the router. The other cable is a heavy duty cable that connects the Router to the Dish.

Once you plug in the cables, you open the app. You will connect to the STARLINK SSID and then pick your own SID and password.

Then the system adjusts the dish to find the satellites.

That's it!
Old 06-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #37

THOR #12751
Quote:
I see your SSID can you give me the password?

Router SSID as Magnitude

Very funny Scuba Man!

You'll have to find me first.... but if you so I'll share my password with you you!
Old 06-03-2022, 09:37 PM   #38

THOR #20220
Quote:
There are two cables. One is a power cable that plugs into a 15A wall socket to the router. The other cable is a heavy duty cable that connects the Router to the Dish.

Once you plug in the cables, you open the app. You will connect to the STARLINK SSID and then pick your own SID and password.

Then the system adjusts the dish to find the satellites.

That's it!
Do you are anyone feel comfortable streaming at night or going to sleep with this exposed equipment?

State parks etc . Once word is out
Old 06-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #39

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Do you are anyone feel comfortable streaming at night or going to sleep with this exposed equipment?

I mainly stay on military bases

but if not, I will have the dish on the roof and put router in one of the boots.

I am more worried about someone rolling under rig snagging the catalytic converter!

I have that scheduled to be harden in July.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:

Somewhere on this forum, someone was complaining that someone stole there sewer hose, so I say it is open season for Starlink equipment. Don't be fooled by blue buckets

My Black box is stored in overhead cabinet next to TV. I actually just got a UPS for it, my TV and Soundbar so when I switching power from inverter, shore , genny etc. we don't get that interruption