Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2022, 01:01 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have been planning my StarLink installation and looking at a couple options for running the cable from the Router to the Dish. I think I can use a screw-up that one of the Thor line workers made to my advantage.

There is a cabinet over the entry stairs with an AC outlet. The height of the cabinet is just enough to fit the StarLink Router.

In that cabinet one of the line worker apparently cut a hole in the ceiling before the cabinets were installed and the hole was in the wrong location (since there is nothing going through the hole).

I put my borescope into the hole and it's a perfectly round hole through the insulation and there is even a small hole from a spade bit or hole saw in the wooden roof paneling. I can even see what I believe is underside of the TPO roofing material. The good news is there is an opening of the aluminum roof superstructure there as well (looks like they cut that out as well for some unnecessary reason).

I could use a nail to go through the existing hole in the wood under the TPO as a pilot hole from within in the cabinet. Then I can go on the roof and use a 3/4" spade bit to cut through the TPO and thin roof wooden paneling (Thor.... you really couldn't use some decent plywood for the roof????).

Once I have the hole in the roof, I can run the cable through the hole and secure it to the roof with some adhesive cable tie-downs and Eternabond back to the ladder. Then I will run the cable down the ladder and secure it to the ladder.

The stock and shortest StarLink cable is 75" so I will have a lot of extra cable looped up that I will store on the ladder when traveling. That is fine with me because I will have a 16' telescopic pole on the ladder for the Dish. And if there is obstructions in the back of the coach, I would have enough cable to run the Dish to the front of the coach.

I found a protective cap for the StarLink connector that plugs into the Dish so I won't have to worry about the cable connector being exposed to the elements when driving.

I hate drilling holes in roofs but this is the cleanest and probably easiest way for me to install it. Otherwise I would have to fish the cable through the frame rails under the coach (as I did when I rewired my Inverter to supply the entire coach) and then come up under one of the dinette seats.

I found a Marine CableClam that should work perfectly to secure the cable at the entry through the roof and keep water from getting in as well.

Here is some pictures of the hole Thor graciously left above the cabinet and one from the borescope along with the StarLink stuff. I'll post more once I complete the installation.

So I started working on the StarLink install tonight. I did run the cable through the roof in the cabinet where Thor mistakenly cut a hole in the ceiling as I mentioned previously. They made it very easy with that hole they accidentally cut but I have to say I'm even more disappointed in Thor construction quality.

I would have thought the roof underlayment would have been a decent plywood.... maybe not pressure treated but something with some strength and at least 1/4" thick.

Thor uses something like a paneling that can't even be more than an 1/8" thick. I could have put my thumb through it instead of using a spade bit since the styrofoam insulation was already cut out with a hole saw.

I'm glad I only crawl around when I have to be on the roof to spread my weight around. I would never walk on a Thor roof unless you knew where every joist was and could step on it. Even when I have been crawling around I could heat some cracking once in a while. Now I know it is the crappy paneling-like underlayment they use between the TPO and the styrofoam insulation.

Anyway.... tomorrow I am going to finish securing the cable along the side of the roof and back to the ladder. Then I will install the flag pole mounts and try out the system installed.

I'll post pictures once I wrap everything up.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:40 AM   #62

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
That was mighty nice of them to have you a starlink port ready!!!
Old 06-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #63

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My home based Starlink is spotty.
6,500 ft altitude not a thing in the way and it comes and goes.
3meg for a while yesterday.
107ish is as high as it goes.
I dont think there are 50 of us in a 50 mile circle who are on it.

Some brands of my Wi-Fi cameras won't recognize it as Wi-Fi.
My fire tv won't see it.
My router and extender names all attach as they always have and are still named the same as they always have been but star link passes through my router and still calls itself star link somehow.
Router I'm hooked to is called tp link extender, but speed test registers it as starlink, not the connection name
And
Even though I'm hooked up and using it right now, my phone says I dont have an internet connection.

It's jacking with some stuff and some other stuff doesn't care.

It's beta...i can live with it.

So I have had a little seat time with my Starlink for RV system now to feel comfortable with it.

A couple questions for you...

Do you have the Gen 1 (round dish) or the Gen 2 (rectangular dish)?

Sounds like you may be using a separate WiFi router vs using the Starlink WiFi router. Is that a correct interpretation on my part? If so, then the following may help you.

Here is what I can tell you about the Gen 2 version in case it helps with some of your issues. I'm not sure if some of the following will apply to the Gen 1 version based on its configuration capabilities vs the new Gen 2 version.

The Gen 2 Router is no longer using Cat5. They are using a proprietary connector now and POE between the Dish and the Router. There is a separate Ethernet adapter to give you the option to bypass the Starlink Router and use a third-party router and its WiFi instead. Having two routers acted on the same network can cause some issues.

I suspect that when you disable the Starlink Router in the app, it changes it to a Gateway device. A router acts as a networking layer used to manage and forward data to devices network while a gateway is simply a hardware that acts as a gate between the two networks. Not sure if this capability is available in the Gen 1 Router if that is what you have.

If the Starlink router is enabled and a third-party router is also active on the same interconnected network it may be creating some issues for it.

The Gen 2 Router also gives you the option to name separate WiFi networks in the app for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz instead of relying on the router and the device trying to connect determining if it wants the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz signal.

This is a good option because I have had some old 2.4Ghz devices have issues connecting at times to my Xfinity Router that won't allow me to create separate named 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. Especially when it comes to the WiFI security settings. Some of the troubleshooting steps for those devices even recommended creating a separate 2.4 and 5 network.

Another issue is the WiFi security level selected. Some older 2.4Ghz will only accept WPA because that's all that existed at the time but 5Ghz prefers the stronger WPA2 or even WPA3 security setting. This is why it is advantageous to have a router that will allow setting separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks as well.

Not sure if that is helpful or not but thought I would throw it out there for you in case it could help shake out a few of your gremlins.

So far I am pretty pleased with the Gen 2 version they shipped for the RV Service.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:17 PM   #64

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
The included Starlink router is seriously lacking in configuration options but works very well otherwise. Starlink also is now offering a mesh router, but I'm just using a WiFi range extender that I already have to reach the far side of my house.

Overall, my Starlink is working VERY well, and is many times faster than my previous (3MB DSL) service, even during busy times. My only complaint is that the latency is too unstable for many online FPS-type games. (This issue is pretty widely reported by gamers, so not just me.)
Old 06-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #65

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hi Starlink fans keep us posted as weather changes.
We are curious..thx

Satellite internet is the most vulnerable
Perhaps not surprisingly, you're most likely to encounter service disruptions due to rain, snow and ice, heavy cloud coverage and so on with satellite internet.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/c...et-connection/
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #66

THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Satellite internet is the most vulnerable
Perhaps not surprisingly, you're most likely to encounter service disruptions due to rain, snow and ice, heavy cloud coverage and so on with satellite internet.
Starlink is pretty different from other services like HughesNet that rely on satellites that are A LOT further up in geosynchronous orbit, and uses different frequencies.

Weather effects so far:
Overcast: No effect.
Rain: No effect.
Heavy rain: Slight degradation in speed, or maybe I just got unlucky. Very minor at any rate.
Severe thunderstorms: Very brief disruptions - probably EM interference. Effects unbuffered streaming like gaming or video calls, but not long enough to affect buffered activities like video streaming.
Tornadoes: Really hope to not find out!
Snow and ice: Not that time of year yet, but it has an automatic built-in heater to melt snow from the dish.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:01 PM   #67

THOR #12751
I have to say that I am very pleased with Starlink for RV. We are in the middle of a 7-week trip and for the first two weeks the T-Mobile Home Gateway was doing well. But we have been using Starlink in Utah and it has been great.

We are down in Panguitch now and there is no T-Mobile signal at all. I have two bars of AT&T and my wife has 3 bars of Xfinity (Verizon). We are getting well over 100Mbps with Starlink for the most part and have had no outages. We had some heavy rain while we were in Heber City near Salt Lake and it performed pretty well and I was able to watch Thursday Night Football.

What is really great is I thought I would be paying for two months of Starlink but I waited to reactivate it until it was needed. I'm only going to need one month of service for this trip and will only have two months total for this camping season.

I'll also be suspending the T-Mobile Service in November so having Internet in 100% of our travels this season (so far) and no data limitations is only going to cost me $520. I'd say my approach was a big win for us.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:23 PM   #68

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We are glad we did it too. Mount it on our house roof and take it with us when we travel. Got a flagpole mount attached to the ladder and the router sits on the propane tank mount. Would have had to wait until next year if not for the RV option. We usually have 70- 100mbps at home
Old 09-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #69

THOR #20900
Same here. Very happy with it traveling, and also using it at home. I cancelled both of my previous home internet services and now just use the Starlink.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #70

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have to say that I am very pleased with Starlink for RV. We are in the middle of a 7-week trip and for the first two weeks the T-Mobile Home Gateway was doing well. But we have been using Starlink in Utah and it has been great.

We are down in Panguitch now and there is no T-Mobile signal at all. I have two bars of AT&T and my wife has 3 bars of Xfinity (Verizon). We are getting well over 100Mbps with Starlink for the most part and have had no outages. We had some heavy rain while we were in Heber City near Salt Lake and it performed pretty well and I was able to watch Thursday Night Football.

What is really great is I thought I would be paying for two months of Starlink but I waited to reactivate it until it was needed. I'm only going to need one month of service for this trip and will only have two months total for this camping season.

I'll also be suspending the T-Mobile Service in November so having Internet in 100% of our travels this season (so far) and no data limitations is only going to cost me $520. I'd say my approach was a big win for us.
I think if I travel like, or more specifically where you do routinely; I may recognize the benefit of Starlink. I have yet to be anywhere T - Mobile was NOT available.

Are you saying Starlink is only $520? I pay $600/year for my Home Internet that I keep in RV 100% of time. I have gone a month without using, but did not bother calling T-Mobile to cancel because I didn't know I would go the month without using if that makes sense.

I don't use the Service at home, but if T - Mobile would ever allow me to buy 2 Black boxes for my home address, I would cancel my Spectrum Fiber at home. I winterize my RV but use it year round. I am spoiled now, Internet on every trip is MANDATORY for me now. Unless I go someplace really odd, I will give T Mobile what for if my box didn't work. At minimum get some type of credit.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #71

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Starlink is pretty different from other services like HughesNet that rely on satellites that are A LOT further up in geosynchronous orbit, and uses different frequencies.

Weather effects so far:
Overcast: No effect.
Rain: No effect.
Heavy rain: Slight degradation in speed, or maybe I just got unlucky. Very minor at any rate.
Severe thunderstorms: Very brief disruptions - probably EM interference. Effects unbuffered streaming like gaming or video calls, but not long enough to affect buffered activities like video streaming.
Tornadoes: Really hope to not find out!
Snow and ice: Not that time of year yet, but it has an automatic built-in heater to melt snow from the dish.
If I recall, the only reason I didn't do Starlink was price? I really don't remember. It is standard value / cost proposition. I was just looking to escape the hassle of trying to get public wifi and/or campsite / RV park wifi. The latter was never a good experience and always a hassle. $50 / month for unlimited data was the best I could find. It is fixed $600 expense for me now.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #72

THOR #12751
Starlink for RV’s Officially Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think if I travel like, or more specifically where you do routinely; I may recognize the benefit of Starlink. I have yet to be anywhere T - Mobile was NOT available.

Are you saying Starlink is only $520? I pay $600/year for my Home Internet that I keep in RV 100% of time. I have gone a month without using, but did not bother calling T-Mobile to cancel because I didn't know I would go the month without using if that makes sense.

I don't use the Service at home, but if T - Mobile would ever allow me to buy 2 Black boxes for my home address, I would cancel my Spectrum Fiber at home. I winterize my RV but use it year round. I am spoiled now, Internet on every trip is MANDATORY for me now. Unless I go someplace really odd, I will give T Mobile what for if my box didn't work. At minimum get some type of credit.

Here’s the deal…..

StarLink for home is $110/mo and the RV version is $135. The $135 gives you the ability pause the service as much as you want. I only needed Starlink two months this season so it cost me $270 (plus the $599 one-time equipment cost).

My home in Florida includes Xfinity TV and Internet with my HOA dues so I have no control over that service.

However, we still keep a place in PA for a couple months a year where we have family. I was paying $85/mo for Internet there so I could have cameras to keep and eye on the place, control the thermostat, open the garage doors if needed, etc.

When I got the T-Mobile Home, I dropped the PA Cable Internet down to their lowest plan of $35/month. I can use both the T-Mobile Home Gateway and the cable Modem at the same time in my Synology router for load-balancing and get the same bandwidth I was paying $85/mo for. When I take T-Mobile on the road with us, the low-end cable Internet plan has enough bandwidth to monitor the PA house, etc.

When we get back from our current trip next month, I will be pausing Starlink and T-mobile Home when we head back to Florida. So I will have paid $250 for T-Mobile and $270 for StarLink for a total of $520 during this year’s RV season.

I’ll have to pay a minimum of $300/yr for T-Mobilr Home since they only let you pause it for two 3-month periods in a year. But I only need to activate Starlink when I need it.

I’m saving $600/yr by dropping the Cable Internet at our PA place to their lowest plan now. That savings alone is paying to have both Starlink and T-Mobile Home for the coach for 5 months a year now…. But the real win has been Starlink and T-Mobile have given us 100% Internet coverage this season! [emoji106]

If I needed a cheap home Internet service, I would use T-Mobile Home for sure. If my HOA ever cancels the contract with Xfinity, I would go with T-Mobile there if I find there is coverage for it in my home.

I already deciced that once we are done with our big trips, I’m switching our AT&T and Xfinity cell phone plans to T-Mobile Magenta 55+. That would actually drop the T-Mobile Home Internet to $30/mo from $50/mo as well.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:54 AM   #73
EOD

Model: Freedom Traveler 30A
State: Massachusetts
THOR #27850
I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread. It's been an incredible read.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #74

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

I have two T-mobile home internet services for my home address. One for home and one I leave on the motorhome full time. I got both through my local store.

I also have a T-mobile business internet service account for work.

All 3 are $50 each per month.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #75

THOR #20900
FWIW, I'm using StarLink RV as my primary internet provider at home too. I'm on the waiting list (still, after more than a year and a half) for Residential service with Starlink. I live in an odd location where there are very few good Internet options due to a quirk of geography and where they put the cell towers. 3MB DSL is the best option I have. But I'm very close to areas with lots of other options, so it's not a priority area for Starlink. Anyway, the Starlink has been great! Not perfect - latency varies a lot, and sometimes the deprioritization of RV service is noticeable - but a big improvement over the 3MB DSL! I've not paused RV because of using it at home. Eventually, it will become dedicated to RV use after I can get residential Starlink for here at home, and will likely be activated for 1-2 months a year, so not super expensive.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #76
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread. It's been an incredible read.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1663602505
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	39503  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #77

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #26120
Starlink after 6 months - love it

Hi all, just wanted to add my Starlink experience to the thread.

I'm a half-timer looking to go full time and reliable connectivity for work is my priority, so I've been trialing Starlink on one and two week trips to see how well it works. I'm happy to say that in six months, Starlink has never let me down outside of a handful of brief (10-15 second) outages. I keep a cell phone with unlimited data as a backup but have not had to use it. I do most of my work with cloud/web apps as opposed to remote desktop so I can't vouch for always-on connectivity, but for desktop sharing and calls via Teams it's been super reliable.

After hours, it's been perfect for streaming video and music, and I use it for cellular over wifi where I don't have phone coverage. I use it all the time for gchat/zoom happy hours and calls. Outside of a few glitches it's been rock solid, even through a couple of severe thunderstorms. I'd say it's been on par in streaming than my home cable connection.

The biggest trick has been finding sites with open skies to the north. I always check Google maps to look for obstructions prioritize spots with good visibility. When that's not possible, having 150' of cable is handy for moving the antenna out from under trees.

I got a Flagpole Buddy and the Starlink pole mount kit so I could mount it on my rear ladder. Usually one pole section works fine for getting it about 2 feet above the roof, and have so far twice needed to add another 4-foot section to raise it higher for clearance above the treeline. I have four of these pole sections but wonder how stable it will be if I go above two sections and haven't tried it.

Not wanting to drill a hole in the wall, I originally ran the 150' cable through a slide seal, but that was kind of a pain to do. With connectivity my highest priority for work, plugging in to shore power and mounting/raising the Starlink to check signal, which meant connecting the wire, mounting the pole, powering up, verifying the signal, then bringing it all back down so I could re-run the wire through the slide. (The dish end of the cable has a small enough connector to run through the slide, not the router end of the cable.)

Staying longer than a week means dumping the tanks, which means breaking down Starlink to reel in the cable to pull in the slide, and then setting it all back up again when getting back to the site. It just also added complications to initial camp setup and teardown. It was a big enough pain in the butt to warrant a more permanent solution so I looked into pass through options, which of course meant drilling.

Except the crack manufacturers of my Axis thoughtfully provided a pass-through port of my own! While opening the low point drain valve under the bed, I noticed daylight peeking in through the 2" hole drilled through the floor for regular house electrical wiring to the outside. They hadn't filled the entire surrounding gap with foam. The hole wasn't big enough for the proprietary Starlink connector, but would let a standard ethernet cable pass.

I'd read about people cutting their Starlink cable and terminating the ends with Cat6 connectors, as the actual cable is standard Cat-6. I picked up a 75-foot replacement cable from Starlink, cut the middle and clamped on some shielded connectors, and picked up a waterproof IP67 RJ-45 coupler. I put the router in the cabinet over the bed next to the TV, ran the cable through the under-bed compartment through the floor. Underneath, I followed the wiring path Thor used and zip tied the cable all the way back to the rear bumper next to the hitch's electrical connector. I put on the weatherproof RJ45 socket and velcro-strapped the connector so it was snug, but could be released to let it dangle a few inches for easier access.

I took the other half of the connector and put it on the end of the Starlink cable that runs up the flagpole to the antenna. The coupler actually came in a two-pack, so can use the extra components as water/dust proof caps when I'm on the road.

Now, when I'm setting up camp, all I have to do is mount the antenna, grab the danging end of the cable, remove the cap and screw it into the connector under the bumper. It takes 2-3 minutes as opposed to 10-15 running through the slide, and is secure enough that if I do need to make a trip to a dump station I can leave the antenna mounted and hooked up. I don't know if I'd trust the mounting pole to survive anything above 20 MPH but if I found a better way to secure it, or mounted Dishy permanently I might try it, but I do like the ability to place the antenna on the ground or on a table away from my rig if I find myself obscured.

Anyway, my experience with Starlink thus far has been fantastic. I didn't think I'd be able to start my RV adventure until I retired, but Starlink is making it possible for me to live and work on the road. I'd suggest anybody looking for wireless broadband to look into it.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #78

THOR #12751
About a month ago Starlink announced Starlink Mobile which has a redesigned satellite dish ao it can be mounted to maintain connectivity for moving vehicles.

The price tage for the new hardware is hefty. Where its $600 for the Home and RV hardware the Mobile hardware is now $2500 but the service fee is the same.

There are several YouTuve videos showing people who removed the dish mount and positioning motors so they could mount the Home / RV dish on the roof of a car and a boat. Connectivty was decent while in motion.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:11 PM   #79

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #3182
I'm sure you've seen the videos of people basically screwing the RV dish mount directly to a piece of plywood, dropping it in the bed of their pickup and using it while driving? I have no idea what affect this has on the motors inside that dish but a lot of folks on Reddit say the dish just goes flat (horizontal) when driving and never moves. I've never tried it.

I invested the $25 for the Starlink ethernet adapter and since our coach has 120 volt power in the storage I just leave the router in the storage compartment and run a cat 5 wire to another router inside that acts as a wifi range extender.

As far as speed of Starlink goes, you will find that the more populated an area is during the peak hours it can slow down a lot but if you're in a densely populated area you probably won't notice. I was impressed when we stayed in Beavers Bend SP in OK under quite a lot of trees and had great speed the whole time.
Off topic ..... they've really updated Beaver's Bend SP so if you haven't been in a while the sites are really impressive there as well as the park overall.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:22 PM   #80

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricZ View Post
Hi all, just wanted to add my Starlink experience to the thread.

I'm a half-timer looking to go full time and reliable connectivity for work is my priority, so I've been trialing Starlink on one and two week trips to see how well it works. I'm happy to say that in six months, Starlink has never let me down outside of a handful of brief (10-15 second) outages. I keep a cell phone with unlimited data as a backup but have not had to use it. I do most of my work with cloud/web apps as opposed to remote desktop so I can't vouch for always-on connectivity, but for desktop sharing and calls via Teams it's been super reliable.

After hours, it's been perfect for streaming video and music, and I use it for cellular over wifi where I don't have phone coverage. I use it all the time for gchat/zoom happy hours and calls. Outside of a few glitches it's been rock solid, even through a couple of severe thunderstorms. I'd say it's been on par in streaming than my home cable connection.

The biggest trick has been finding sites with open skies to the north. I always check Google maps to look for obstructions prioritize spots with good visibility. When that's not possible, having 150' of cable is handy for moving the antenna out from under trees.

I got a Flagpole Buddy and the Starlink pole mount kit so I could mount it on my rear ladder. Usually one pole section works fine for getting it about 2 feet above the roof, and have so far twice needed to add another 4-foot section to raise it higher for clearance above the treeline. I have four of these pole sections but wonder how stable it will be if I go above two sections and haven't tried it.

Not wanting to drill a hole in the wall, I originally ran the 150' cable through a slide seal, but that was kind of a pain to do. With connectivity my highest priority for work, plugging in to shore power and mounting/raising the Starlink to check signal, which meant connecting the wire, mounting the pole, powering up, verifying the signal, then bringing it all back down so I could re-run the wire through the slide. (The dish end of the cable has a small enough connector to run through the slide, not the router end of the cable.)

Staying longer than a week means dumping the tanks, which means breaking down Starlink to reel in the cable to pull in the slide, and then setting it all back up again when getting back to the site. It just also added complications to initial camp setup and teardown. It was a big enough pain in the butt to warrant a more permanent solution so I looked into pass through options, which of course meant drilling.

Except the crack manufacturers of my Axis thoughtfully provided a pass-through port of my own! While opening the low point drain valve under the bed, I noticed daylight peeking in through the 2" hole drilled through the floor for regular house electrical wiring to the outside. They hadn't filled the entire surrounding gap with foam. The hole wasn't big enough for the proprietary Starlink connector, but would let a standard ethernet cable pass.

I'd read about people cutting their Starlink cable and terminating the ends with Cat6 connectors, as the actual cable is standard Cat-6. I picked up a 75-foot replacement cable from Starlink, cut the middle and clamped on some shielded connectors, and picked up a waterproof IP67 RJ-45 coupler. I put the router in the cabinet over the bed next to the TV, ran the cable through the under-bed compartment through the floor. Underneath, I followed the wiring path Thor used and zip tied the cable all the way back to the rear bumper next to the hitch's electrical connector. I put on the weatherproof RJ45 socket and velcro-strapped the connector so it was snug, but could be released to let it dangle a few inches for easier access.

I took the other half of the connector and put it on the end of the Starlink cable that runs up the flagpole to the antenna. The coupler actually came in a two-pack, so can use the extra components as water/dust proof caps when I'm on the road.

Now, when I'm setting up camp, all I have to do is mount the antenna, grab the danging end of the cable, remove the cap and screw it into the connector under the bumper. It takes 2-3 minutes as opposed to 10-15 running through the slide, and is secure enough that if I do need to make a trip to a dump station I can leave the antenna mounted and hooked up. I don't know if I'd trust the mounting pole to survive anything above 20 MPH but if I found a better way to secure it, or mounted Dishy permanently I might try it, but I do like the ability to place the antenna on the ground or on a table away from my rig if I find myself obscured.

Anyway, my experience with Starlink thus far has been fantastic. I didn't think I'd be able to start my RV adventure until I retired, but Starlink is making it possible for me to live and work on the road. I'd suggest anybody looking for wireless broadband to look into it.
I just put the router on top of our propane tank. I sit it on top of the angle iron bracket. We also use the flag pole mounting but take the ground mount if we are in a forested area. We are very often in that since we live in the Pacific Northwest. We also use it for our home. Pretty easy to transfer between the two.