Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2022, 05:01 PM   #81
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricZ View Post
I use it for cellular over wifi
What is cellular over WIFI?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:08 PM   #82

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's a feature you should be able to enable on your cell phone to make and receive calls over wifi if you don't have cell coverage.
It's under "cellular" on my iPhone. It maybe different depending on your phone.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:59 PM   #83

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
It's a feature you should be able to enable on your cell phone to make and receive calls over wifi if you don't have cell coverage.
On my Samsung Galaxy S21 Untra android phone, it is called WI-FI Calling located under settings>Connections.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #84

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
We use that feature all the time. Cell coverage I. The Pacific Northwest coastline in horrible. The Wi-Fi calling is great.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:00 PM   #85
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
On my Samsung Galaxy S21 Untra android phone, it is called WI-FI Calling located under settings>Connections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
We use that feature all the time. Cell coverage I. The Pacific Northwest coastline in horrible. The Wi-Fi calling is great.
So nothing to do with cellular,. VOIP using the WIFI Internet connection. Got it!
Old 12-10-2022, 05:43 PM   #86

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #26120
Quote:
So nothing to do with cellular,. VOIP using the WIFI Internet connection. Got it!

Sorry for the poor choice of words. It is indeed VOIP over WIFI, letting you use your cell phone over your ISP.

Though SpaceX is working with T-Mobile to bring true cellular connectivity over the Starlink network, directly from your cell phone, no additional hardware required.

"From the middle of Death Valley to the Great Smoky Mountains or even that persistent neighborhood dead zone, T-Mobile and SpaceX have a vision to give customers a crucial additional layer of connectivity in areas previously unreachable by cell signals from any provider. And the service aims to work with the phone already in your pocket. The vast majority of smartphones already on T-Mobile’s network will be compatible with the new service using the device’s existing radio. No extra equipment to buy. It just works."
Old 12-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #87
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricZ View Post
Sorry for the poor choice of words. It is indeed VOIP over WIFI, letting you use your cell phone over your ISP.

Though SpaceX is working with T-Mobile to bring true cellular connectivity over the Starlink network, directly from your cell phone, no additional hardware required.

"From the middle of Death Valley to the Great Smoky Mountains or even that persistent neighborhood dead zone, T-Mobile and SpaceX have a vision to give customers a crucial additional layer of connectivity in areas previously unreachable by cell signals from any provider. And the service aims to work with the phone already in your pocket. The vast majority of smartphones already on T-Mobile’s network will be compatible with the new service using the device’s existing radio. No extra equipment to buy. It just works."
Yeah, I saw that article. My question is: if your cell phone currently does not have enough power to reach terrestrial cell towers from airline travel heights,. how will they reach to orbital height? Directional antennas on the satellites will help, but is it enough?
Old 12-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #88

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #26120
Quote:
Yeah, I saw that article. My question is: if your cell phone currently does not have enough power to reach terrestrial cell towers from airline travel heights,. how will they reach to orbital height? Directional antennas on the satellites will help, but is it enough?

I think only SpaceX and TMobile can answer that. I'm just repeating what their propaganda says. But according to them most phones should work without any modification. We'll see if it's too good to be true, but it would be a game changer if it is.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:25 PM   #89

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I just have to ask

With respect to the OceanGate capsule lost at sea, is there a limit on the Satelite signals in water?

I know it can't be that simple, but it really seems surprising to me that they have no method of communication. I would think a satellite phone would work, not to mention a beacon to transmit signals.

I mean ok my T Mobile can't do it, but sheeezce we talk to people on the moon.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #90

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Since this old thread came back to life, I thought I would report that Starlink may be one of the best "upgrades" I did for the coach..... and I've done a lot of them.

We're working our way up British Columbia on our way to Alaska and Starlink has worked like a champ!!!

We are currently in the Mile 0 Campground in Dawson Creek at the start of the Alaska Highway. I barely have one bar of cellular coverage but Starlink is giving me over 100Mbps this morning.

I can get the dish on the flagpole and secured to the ladder and be online in about 5 minutes or so.

We stayed at the Mamayeh RV Park yesterday and they installed Starlink and used WiFi repeaters to provide Internet out in the middle of nowhere. I didn't try it since I had my own but thought it was a great idea.

In the past month I've had 2 sites with some trees that caused a partial obstruction of the signal. But it still performed well enough that I didn't bother taking the dish down and putting it on the ground mount to move it away from the trees.

Starlink may be a tad expensive but the ability to pause the service for all but 3 months a year and having great coverage out in the sticks makes it well worth the investment..... if you want consistent Internet and camp where cellular signal is minimal or nonexistent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E6B39DE63286-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	42485  
Old 06-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #91

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Since this old thread came back to life, I thought I would report that Starlink may be one of the best "upgrades" I did for the coach..... and I've done a lot of them.

We're working our way up British Columbia on our way to Alaska and Starlink has worked like a champ!!!

We are currently in the Mile 0 Campground in Dawson Creek at the start of the Alaska Highway. I barely have one bar of cellular coverage but Starlink is giving me over 100Mbps this morning.

I can get the dish on the flagpole and secured to the ladder and be online in about 5 minutes or so.

We stayed at the Mamayeh RV Park yesterday and they installed Starlink and used WiFi repeaters to provide Internet out in the middle of nowhere. I didn't try it since I had my own but thought it was a great idea.

In the past month I've had 2 sites with some trees that caused a partial obstruction of the signal. But it still performed well enough that I didn't bother taking the dish down and putting it on the ground mount to move it away from the trees.

Starlink may be a tad expensive but the ability to pause the service for all but 3 months a year and having great coverage out in the sticks makes it well worth the investment..... if you want consistent Internet and camp where cellular signal is minimal or nonexistent.
100% agree. My inlaws are 96 and 95 and we have grandchildren. As such my wife is much more relaxed knowing that we always have communication. Phones are wifi enabled for calls so even have the quick calls with her parents even in the most remote locations with zero cell coverage.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 03:17 PM   #92

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:

Hey Judge. We'll probably be passing each other today. I'm just north or you - probably 75 miles. We'll be travelling on to Toad River today - a bit further than you'll likely go. Enjoy the trip. Road report looks good.

We've been travelling the past month and have seen lots of Starlink dishes - both one RVs and used by parks to provide service. It can be really good or just adequate. But adequate is a lot better than none at all. We don't own it - but I'm thinking about it.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:18 PM   #93

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
100% agree. My inlaws are 96 and 95 and we have grandchildren. As such my wife is much more relaxed knowing that we always have communication. Phones are wifi enabled for calls so even have the quick calls with her parents even in the most remote locations with zero cell coverage.

Same here...... my father-in-law is 85 and has a lot of health issues so it makes my wife feel better that we won't ever be out of communication. She also likes staying in touch with the daughter and all the grand kids.

My 85 year old mother is doing pretty well but it lets me call her once a week to check-in on her and send her pics of the trip.

The rigs with Satellite TV won't be working soon because of the placement of the satellites but Starlink will still be working and we can stream TV if we want to.

I'm glad I bought Tesla stock..... even though it is not directly tied to Starlink.... Elon Musk is a technology revolutionary much like Steve Jobs. I personally would not bet against him.
Old 06-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #94

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
Same here...... my father-in-law is 85 and has a lot of health issues so it makes my wife feel better that we won't ever be out of communication. She also likes staying in touch with the daughter and all the grand kids.

My 85 year old mother is doing pretty well but it lets me call her once a week to check-in on her and send her pics of the trip.

The rigs with Satellite TV won't be working soon because of the placement of the satellites but Starlink will still be working and we can stream TV if we want to.

I'm glad I bought Tesla stock..... even though it is not directly tied to Starlink.... Elon Musk is a technology revolutionary much like Steve Jobs. I personally would not bet against him.
Its important to stay in touch with Mom's, Mother-in-laws adn family for sure. Hope all is going well with the trip Judge and may the weather be good for you. Been seeing snowy road pics from up there last week - Be safe -
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:20 AM   #95

THOR #12751
Starlink for RV’s Officially Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Its important to stay in touch with Mom's, Mother-in-laws adn family for sure. Hope all is going well with the trip Judge and may the weather be good for you. Been seeing snowy road pics from up there last week - Be safe -

Have had a little rain but have seen the snow in parts of Alaska and Alberta. We cross into Alaska on the 30th so hopefully the snow will be done by then.

We are in Dawson Creek, BC and today in less than an hour the skies were full of smoke after the wind shifted. It was unreal how fast the sky went from partly cloudy to completely obstructed. Then a few hours later the skies cleared again but you could still smell the smoke.

Have some rain tonight so that should help.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:09 AM   #96

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
Quote:
There are two cable options.... 75' and 150'.

The 75' is the standard length that comes with the kit and it is that length because it is used for home installations. Maybe at some point they will offer a shorter version for RV's.

It looks like a micro USB connector but special ends for sealing out water, dirt, etc.

I don't mind the length. It opens up plenty of options for wiring the coach and also raising the dish higher when needed using the telescopic flag pole I purchased to mount the dish off my ladder.
My kit came with a 50' cable and I wish it was the 75' as it has already been a bit short at one stop we made.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:12 PM   #97

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
My kit came with a 50' cable and I wish it was the 75' as it has already been a bit short at one stop we made.
They must have changed the standard cable in then kit since last year.

I ran my cable through the front of the roof to the back of the coach and put my dish on the flagpole. I leave the excess coiled on the ladder in case I have to try and put the dish on the ground to find a better clearing.... but that has been rare. I probably have about 50' excess on my ladder.

I would purchase the 150' option. I bought a second 75' cable in case I want to move everything outside for some reason. My cousin bought the 150' option and said it works great when he is off the grid out in the wilderness.

I actually plan to take the the system with me in my Jeep when we drive up to the Arctic Circle next month. If we have any issues and there is no cell coverage, I can hook it up to the Jeep's inverter and make a call if needed.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #98

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Judge, can you confirm that this is the Roam equipment set up?
Or, can a person intermittently use the residential while traveling?
Old 06-23-2023, 04:51 PM   #99

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
They must have changed the standard cable in then kit since last year.

I ran my cable through the front of the roof to the back of the coach and put my dish on the flagpole. I leave the excess coiled on the ladder in case I have to try and put the dish on the ground to find a better clearing.... but that has been rare. I probably have about 50' excess on my ladder.

I would purchase the 150' option. I bought a second 75' cable in case I want to move everything outside for some reason. My cousin bought the 150' option and said it works great when he is off the grid out in the wilderness.

I actually plan to take the the system with me in my Jeep when we drive up to the Arctic Circle next month. If we have any issues and there is no cell coverage, I can hook it up to the Jeep's inverter and make a call if needed.

That's pretty cool taking your dish to Arctic circle line!
Be awesome pic!

If you sit on a block of ice in your underwear and have wife pour bucket of icy sea water on you, can sign you off on your blue nose cert! Hah
Old 06-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #100

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:

Now that is why I dug this thread up, to see if it could be used in some abnormal situations, although it appears that even if a 12,000ft cable was available it would not have provided help to the ill fated Titan vessel.

When I read the wiring and antenna related to Starlink it gives me visions of what I viewed as hassle setting up my WiFi CampPro v2. At least with Starlink, when you do get setup, you got working internet, whereas the WifI CampPro was just a toy.

Did you know that T Mobile is coming out with new home gateways so that you may wire or add external antennas? They have also improved it's capabilities to find and retain connections. I didn't see anything about the power requirements. It is still very new with limited info.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote