Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2022, 11:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ontario
THOR #28356
Sumo Springs right choice ?

Hi everyone. I hope there is someone out there that can make up my mind for me. I want to install Sumo springs to the front of my 2016 Thor Ace 30.1 but i am torn between the blue ones or the black ones. I`m thinking about going with the black ones because i want to get rid of as much sway as possible but i don`t want the ride to be so harsh that i am gonna feel like i made the wrong decision . I have the Safe T Steering installed and also the Roadmaster stabilizer bar installed . Both have made quite a difference. Has anyone had the Sumo Springs installed and know they have the right colour choice ?

Old 11-21-2022, 01:47 AM   #2

THOR #28356
Sumo Springs

Which colour of Sumo springs should i use on a 2016 Thor Ace 30.1 Class A motorhome with an F53 18,000 lb chassis ?
Old 11-21-2022, 02:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Blue

https://www.superspringsinternationa.../ssf-170-40-2/

https://www.superspringsinternationa.../ssr-187-40-1/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:07 AM   #4

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Sumo Blue

I have had the Sumo blue installed on the front for a couple of years-Vegas 24.1 on E450 chassis. I chose the blue largely based on the comments on this forum and have been very satisfied. The major benefit has been a reduction in body lean while turning corners. I believe there is also less lane wander from passing trucks. The difference in ride harshness is minimal.

Which ever you decide on will be an improvement!
Old 11-21-2022, 06:21 PM   #5

THOR #28356

Thankyou very much for your reply..........I guess that is what i would like to get ride of the most is the body roll. Does anyone think that by going with the black colour that that would decrease the body roll even more than if i went with the Blue ?
Old 11-21-2022, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertoy View Post
Thankyou very much for your reply..........I guess that is what i would like to get ride of the most is the body roll. Does anyone think that by going with the black colour that that would decrease the body roll even more than if i went with the Blue ?
Where do you see the black color available for your chassis? The Supersprings site only list the above blue springs as available for a 2015 F53 16-18K Thor MH.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Personally, I think I would first install steering stabilizer, bigger sway bars front and back, and a rear track bar first and then if you still need more install the sumo springs. Also, I would install one thing at a time and evaluate before doing the next.

Before you do anything.
1. Make sure you do not have front end issues like worn kingpin bushings. I just took my 2018 ACE 30.3 in to check the alignment and the shop found lose kingpin bushings. I just purchased the unit with only 3900 miles mind you. The shop showed me that the kingpins had not been properly lubricated and apparently the steering system had never been serviced since it was new in 2018. The nature of an RV is that it gets relatively few miles, so lubrication schedules need to be based on time rather than miles.

2. Make sure the front end is aligned.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When I installed sumos on my Hurricane there were not options for different colors. I put in the GVWR of my chassis and they sent the ones specified for the rating. My immediate reaction at the time was there was no difference in the handling or drivability of the coach. But over the last three years since the install, the coach is easier to drive. I do not know if that is directly relatable to the sumos or just seat time from three cross country trips.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #9

THOR #28356

WOW ! Those are all great comments. Thankyou everyone for your input. First of all i guess i never realized that they don`t list the Black ones for my chassis. I should have looked in to that further.
I have installed the Roadmaster Sway bar in the front and also the Safe T Steering. Both have made noticeable improvement. I have been a Heavy Haul Truck Driver for the past 47 years and know how a large vehicle handles going down the road. I`m used to having a rig that can go down the road with only one hand on the wheel easily. I guess that is the feeling i am after
Old 11-21-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
WOW ! Those are all great comments. Thankyou everyone for your input. First of all i guess i never realized that they don`t list the Black ones for my chassis. I should have looked in to that further.
I have installed the Roadmaster Sway bar in the front and also the Safe T Steering. Both have made noticeable improvement. I have been a Heavy Haul Truck Driver for the past 47 years and know how a large vehicle handles going down the road. I`m used to having a rig that can go down the road with only one hand on the wheel easily. I guess that is the feeling i am after
I drive with one hand all the time on my 16K chassis with the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer installed. No other upgrades. Good alignment/tire balance and proper inflation help a lot.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #11

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #18721
I installed the blue ones this past spring on my 2018 ACE 29.3, very happy with the improved ride - control. most notably in cornering/curves at highway speeds
Old 11-26-2022, 10:38 PM   #12

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10895
I installed front and rear Sumo's on our Thor 22E.
Made driving life a lot more pleasant!!!!!!!!!!