Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
Super C vs class A wheel cut

Saw comment that freightliner super c owner couldn't maneuver through campground/site due to "tight turns" . I'm guessing it's wheelbase/wheel cut differences?
Does anyone know if it's perception vs reality?

Old 10-25-2020, 02:57 AM   #2

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgscooter View Post
Saw comment that freightliner super c owner couldn't maneuver through campground/site due to "tight turns" . I'm guessing it's wheelbase/wheel cut differences?
I have a Supper C and have no issue with the turning radius.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
It comes down to turning radius and overall length from my perspective vs whether it is a Class A or a Super C.

Turning radius comes down to wheelbase, wheel size, turning angle and track width. Then you have to factor in the coach length.

That being said..... there will be a difference in "feeling" because you are sitting over the front wheels in an A and there isn't a front end sticking out vs the Super C and sitting behind the front wheels.

I have had no issues yet navigating with my Super C (Magnitude SV34) but I can't compare it to the experience of turning an A. I suspect setting up for the turn will be a little different between the two.

There are some Super C's that are pretty long.... over 40' and even with a tag axle. I would not want to be taking one of those into some campgrounds but I also wouldn't want to take anything over 40' into some campgrounds.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgscooter View Post
What model Freightliner Super C and what chassis was it on, an M2 or a S2RV? What kinds of campgrounds was this person trying to maneuver through?

I have an Accolade Super C on a Freightliner S2RV chassis. My rig is 39'4" and I have not had an issue maneuvering my rig in or out of campgrounds since I've owned it. We have put almost 7,000 miles on the coach since we bought it last October and stayed at about 12 different RV parks.

As a noted, in the past year I have used multiple pull through sites, a couple of back in sites and one pull in lake front site. There was one park where I was more comfortable disconnecting the TOAD to exit a pull through because a tree was at the front cover of the site but I would have done the same with our prior class c with the tow dolly.

As a note, my current wheelbase is 279 inches. The wheelbase on our prior Challenger was 252 inches so our turning radius is a little greater but you learn to deal with it or settle for something less than what you want. Although my turning radius is greater, that is a small price to pay for the improved ride and performance over our prior Class A.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I stayed at an older campground near Gatlinburg years ago where the owner told us that fixing things that RVers damaged with their large rigs was a full time job. The park had been there since before a 30-foot motorhome was considered large.

There’s a reason most newer parks have pull through sites and few or no “tight turns”. In my opinion large is large whether Class A, Super C or trailer. Some brands may be a little better than others, but I expect overall size matters most.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There comes a point where operator skill needs upgrading; before the next sized coach comes home...
Old 10-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I stayed at an older campground near Gatlinburg years ago where the owner told us that fixing things that RVers damaged with their large rigs was a full time job. The park had been there since before a 30-foot motorhome was considered large.

There’s a reason most newer parks have pull through sites and few or no “tight turns”. In my opinion large is large whether Class A, Super C or trailer. Some brands may be a little better than others, but I expect overall size matters most.
I wonder what the comparison is to damage done by large gas rigs in campgrounds to that done in gas stations and retail parking lots?

I believe the biggest factors are the wheel cut, which both my prior F53 and the S2RV, now, are 55 degrees and the wheelbase. Given the same wheel cut the shorter the wheelbase the shorter the turning radius. I have noticed a difference between the two rigs but not so much in campgrounds but rather in the entry and exit from my driveway at home and then turning the coach around in my driveway. It's not an issue, I just noticed the difference.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Size beyond turning radius/diameter ....

Agree that wheelbase and front wheel cut angle are what affects curb-to-curb turning radius/diameter most (with front overhang also affecting wall-to-wall turning radius/diameter).

In my experience, however, the rear overhang also affects maneuverability in campgrounds when on narrow paths with trees on both sides.

When making a U-Turn on highways, for example, the rear overhang doesn’t usually come into play, so a shorter turning radius is key. By comparison, in a tight campground with obstacles (often trees or other vehicles) on both sides of motorhome, the turning radius may not be the maneuvering limitation anyway. That was the condition I was visualizing when OP mentioned “tight turns” within a campground/site.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
My 42GX has a 266 inch wheel base and 60 degree wheel cut

I can easily navigate all campgrounds we we have encountered in the past 5 years

The former Landmark which I towed with a long wheel base F350 crew acttually took more turning room

A lot of anything is what you get used to

As noted side and overhead obstacles have by far been the main issues
Old 10-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #10

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
We downsized from a 40 ft diesel pusher to a super C on the F550 chassis. They both have the basic same wheelbase. I can tell you from experience that the C will turn sharper and is more maneuverable than the dp.