Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
No brakes on tow dolly

I purchased a never used 2001 Master Tow dolly. It’s the 80THD model, and in perfect condition, but has no brakes. I thought I would add brakes, but the total cost is estimated at $1000, almost as high as the tow dolly cost. I tow a Honda Civic, and have been told by several people that there should be no problem towing it with brake less Master Tow. Has anyone towed with dolly that has no brakes?

Old 08-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #2

Model: 22 Freedom elite
State: Virginia
THOR #21610
i've had 2 tow dolly's Never had brakes on them, never been a problem.but i towed Honda civic. Now KIA Soul.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
What’s your states weight requirement for brakes?

Follow your states legal requirements and not the forum’s self-proclaimed experts.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:06 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You can follow your state's requirements but I feel that having brakes is a must when towing. When I had my tow dolly, I specified having brakes. The extra weight can cause an issue in an emergency stopping situation plus if involved in a traffic accident that might come up in a civil litigation. Just my thoughts.

Paul
Old 08-07-2022, 03:22 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #27561
The individual state requirements for brakes are here: https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...quirements.pdf
Old 08-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Personally, with pulling in the NC, TN, WV mountains, I’ll always have brakes of some sort regardless of refs.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #7

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Well, the first time you have to do a panic stop (like I had to on the highway - full on the brake pedal while counter steering) I was sure glad that the dolly performed as it did, and I was able to avoid the situation. I really do not care about the weight of the towed car. It is really about the ability of keeping everything in line.

Me personally, at least put a surge brake on it.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post

......cut.... I thought I would add brakes, but the total cost is estimated at $1000, almost as high as the tow dolly cost. .....cut....

Have you considered listing it for sale and then buying another dolly that already has brakes? I may be cheaper. Or not.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
A review of the document provided above tells me that most states limit no brake trailers to 3000 lbs, some much lower. The Honda Civic weighs about 3,000 lbs and the dolly at least another 500 lbs. So you will be over the weight limit in most states.

I am surprised adding brakes will cost $1,000. eTrailer has kits to do this for as little as $110 for no name to $170 for Dexter kits for a 3,500 lb axle. I hired a trailer repair shop to change out these on a boat trailer which was badly corroded. It cost about $250 in labor. If they hadn't been so corroded, and it is unlikely a car dolly will be, it would have been an easy DIY job.

David
Old 08-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #27561
Don't forget the cost of the brake drums, about $100 per axle.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Hard enough to stop a fully loaded motorhome in an emergency without having the toad's momentum pushing you down the road. Regardless of whether it's legal to tow without brakes why would you take the chance?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
How fast do you plan to drive?

https://blog.cvn.com/jury-clears-u-h...tive-tow-dolly

Get the surge brakes, that is all you will ever need.

I recently rented a U haul dollie for an emergency tow2, it was brand new U haul dollie and had the surge brakes. It was my 1st time renting their dollie because I always rent their trailers for about $25 more. It was a PITA and stupid on my part. I was trying not to exceed the 5,000 gross tow weight. I didn't have a fancy CAT scale with me; so common since says the dollie would be lighter and that is what I did.

To be honest, I could not feel it was back there; so I had rear camera on the entire time as a reminder. There were a few times where solid braking was needing. I don't know if surge brakes engaged though?

The only good thing about the bad of towing our car with a dollie, is that my wife saw 1st hand what all was involved If we ever do tow for pleasure, it will be 4 wheels down.

Strap down steering wheel
MUST READ VEHICLES OWNERS MANUAL for INTRUCTIONS to TOW on DOLLIE
Our car called for transmission to be in Park but U haul tech said Neutral
2 sets of safety chains ( I needed to shower after hookup)
On / Off is a job
The dollie was designed so it only had 2 inches of clearance from over the road, don't pull over on a side road with ruts as you will drag the dollie (not I may have been able to improve with lower hitch receiver?)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Almost every RV towing a dolly has brakes, either surge or electric

The non brake dollies are usually for short term car rescue or very light vehicles

Insurance companies frown on illegal towing, lacking brakes and/or lights
Old 08-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well, Uhaul's insurance doesn't as they rent tow dollies all over the US daily that have no brakes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well, Uhaul's insurance doesn't as they rent tow dollies all over the US daily that have no brakes.
UHaul doesn’t insure a dolly you rent. Your insurance covers that.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:18 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Uhaul doesn't think it does. I imagine it depends on the State you are insured in and what your coverage specifies.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:58 AM   #17

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

They sure tried to up sell me the insurance. They scare folks making them sign that they will pay $5-6k immediately if stolen or damaged.

I believe only the new U Haul dollies have surge brakes. That is what I got last week. They also say you must have magnetic tow lights, I didn't. There were brake / tail lights on my dollie anyway?

IMO getting the trailer is best all around solution even if you exceed the tow limit. I figure I should be able to tow any kind of car / suv there is with my F-53. If not, they gonna have to arrest me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20220731_161834_LI.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	39060  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:09 PM   #18

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Thanks to all.
We also were looking to flat tow, but found two problems with this: First, my civic can not be flat towed and the number of small SUVs (which is what want) that can flat tow are very few. We did not want to limit our choices and settle for a vehicle we were not crazy about. Second, as you all know, this is not a good time to buy any cars. There are waiting list with delivery dates in months away, and the cost is the sticker price, with no bargaining on price.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:33 PM   #19

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident whether it be your fault or not, your insurance company could possibly decline responsibility if the incident happened in a state where brakes are mandated on tow vehicles. Same goes for the other parties insurance, even if they were at fault. Don't give them an easy out.