Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2021, 12:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #25103
Xantrex 1800 issue

This is my 2 nd day into 1st trip in my four winds 31w. Got to first stop and my inverter was beeping and flashing E02 code. I have it on whilst driving due to residential fridge. Does this code mean my 2 house batteries are draining while on the road and my alternator is not charging them. Help please

Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Does your model have a use/store switch for the coach 12V supplies.

If it does, did you have it switched to use?

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:06 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Lee View Post
This is my 2 nd day into 1st trip in my four winds 31w. Got to first stop and my inverter was beeping and flashing E02 code. I have it on whilst driving due to residential fridge. Does this code mean my 2 house batteries are draining while on the road and my alternator is not charging them. Help please
The low battery alarm beeps every second and the display shows fault code E02 alternating with the battery voltage. The status LED turns red and the inverter shuts down to protect the battery from being over-discharged.

Your alternator is not keeping your house batteries charged. To correct this fault will take some trouble shooting, meantime just run the generator.

The first thing to check is the 200 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. Trip it and reset the CB. Second check the alternator output. If you don't carry stop by Autozone Pep Boys, etc and have check the alternator's output. If that is good, check the house battery voltage after the engine has run at 1,500 rpm for 4 minutes or longer. The voltage should be above 13.0 volts if not then the BIRD or BIM may not be working correctly. On a warm day the alternator only has about 70 amps @ 12 volts available for charging the house batteries. If you are using the dash A/C, the fridge goes through a defrost cycle and you house batteries are several years old there may not be sufficient power available to power everything.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:27 AM   #4

THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post

Yes it was on USE
Old 10-13-2021, 02:25 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

USE/STORE switch is NOT between the chassis and house batteries so it would have no effect on the alternator charging the house batteries,
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I'm not sure if you have a new or older coach but.....

If it is a newer coach and this is your first time out and it has the BIM160, the BIM could be wired incorrectly. As a result, the alternator won't charge the house batteries properly.

I had a similar issue with my 2020 Magnitude SV34 when it was new along with some other 12V electrical issues. Turns out I found my BIM to be wired incorrecrly from the factory.... and many other Omni / Magbnitude owners found the same thing.

I have posted about this many times. You can read these posts and it might help....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=56

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=58
Old 10-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
USE/STORE switch is NOT between the chassis and house batteries so it would have no effect on the alternator charging the house batteries,
Thanks for clarifying that....
Old 10-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #8

THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'm not sure if you have a new or older coach but.....

If it is a newer coach and this is your first time out and it has the BIM160, the BIM could be wired incorrectly. As a result, the alternator won't charge the house batteries properly.

I had a similar issue with my 2020 Magnitude SV34 when it was new along with some other 12V electrical issues. Turns out I found my BIM to be wired incorrecrly from the factory.... and many other Omni / Magbnitude owners found the same thing.

I have posted about this many times. You can read these posts and it might help....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=56

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=58

It's a 2014, and I have only used generator for power before while using AC while working. When just using batteries for lighting , levellers , slide out and such they have never faltered
Old 10-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
It's a 2014, and I have only used generator for power before while using AC while working. When just using batteries for lighting , levellers , slide out and such they have never faltered

Then follow Beau's recommendations.

You also didn't say how old your house batteries are but I assume they aren't original. If they are, that could very well be your issue.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #10

THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Then follow Beau's recommendations.

You also didn't say how old your house batteries are but I assume they aren't original. If they are, that could very well be your issue.
Yes I was just thinking that... I'll get them tested
Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
My BIM failed once fixed all is well..
Look over drive tire area
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #12

THOR #22490
Sorry but I was working and didn’t get chance to come back with follow up questions before others came in to offer advice. I was just trying to help with basics before getting further into the problem.

The reason I asked about the use/store switch was so you could check battery voltage on the Inverter with and without the engine running and didn’t mean to imply that the switch had to be on for your coach batteries to be charged with the engine running.

2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Old 10-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
Sorry but I was working and didn’t get chance to come back with follow up questions before others came in to offer advice. I was just trying to help with basics before getting further into the problem.

The reason I asked about the use/store switch was so you could check battery voltage on the Inverter with and without the engine running and didn’t mean to imply that the switch had to be on for your coach batteries to be charged with the engine running.
If you have a factory installed inverter, it has a separate 100 or 200 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. It is not powered by the 50 amp circuit breaker that powers the power center's 12 volt fuse panel through the battery isolation relay (latching relay).
The inverter, electric starter motor on the generator and the jack's electric motor all will work fine with the house batteries isolated from the coach's power center.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #14

THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you have a factory installed inverter, it has a separate 100 or 200 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. It is not powered by the 50 amp circuit breaker that powers the power center's 12 volt fuse panel through the battery isolation relay (latching relay).
The inverter, electric starter motor on the generator and the jack's electric motor all will work fine with the house batteries isolated from the coach's power center.
So you will be able to monitor the battery voltage on the inverter display even with the use switch off. I guess that’s what you’re saying as long as it’s a factory installed inverter.

2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #15

THOR #6411
Quote:
So you will be able to monitor the battery voltage on the inverter display even with the use switch off. I guess that’s what you’re saying as long as it’s a factory installed inverter.
Yep, Inverter works, jacks work and generator starts with coach's house battery disconnect relay in the store position.. That is why there are three different positive battery cable connected to the house battery bank.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Yes I was just thinking that... I'll get them tested
If you have the "old school" flooded batteries (with caps, NOT sealed - maintenance free), you can check the health of your batteries yourself.

Get a battery hydrometer - about $5 at auto parts stores. It's easy to check the density of the electrolyte in each battery cell. This will tell you if you possibly have one or more dead cells.

Another problem is if the batteries haven't been "tended" well, they may have irreparable sulfate damage. The symptoms are a seemingly fully charged battery which discharges very quickly... or possibly stops charging completely. MANY batteries meet an early demise due to this.

If your BIM is wired correctly and your alternator output is sufficient, I'd look at the batteries. A residential fridge draws a decent amount of current - so do the math... make SURE your battery bank can handle the load.

When you get your issue resolved, to prevent getting back into the same predicament, (if you haven't already ) plan and execute a battery charging/maintenance strategy to keep your batteries healthy.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #24124
Xantrex inverter not on, 2017 Thor Ace

I am at a loss. My Xantrex inverter is not coming on. I replaced all batteries in my RV 5 days ago. This is the only thing not working. It was not coming on prior to the battery swap either.

I checked my main fuse area and nothing there is listed for the inverter. Does anyone know where I can locate the fuse for the inverter? Or does anyone know another fix? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #18

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin F View Post
I am at a loss. My Xantrex inverter is not coming on. I replaced all batteries in my RV 5 days ago. This is the only thing not working. It was not coming on prior to the battery swap either.

I checked my main fuse area and nothing there is listed for the inverter. Does anyone know where I can locate the fuse for the inverter? Or does anyone know another fix? Thanks in advance.
The 12 volt circuit breaker for the inverter is in the house battery compartment. There will be three different 12 volt circuit breakers there: a 100 amp for the generator start, a 50 amp one for the power center and a 200 or 250 amp one for the inverter. If the CB is tripped a small red or yellow flag will appear. There is a manual test button that can be pushed to trip the circuit breaker. When trouble shooting it is best to press the test button to trip the CB and them push the tell-tale flag back in position to reset the CB. If that did not cure the problem, the a voltmeter (VOM) is your best friend. If you have 12 volt power in at the inverter there CB on the inverter. See your operators manual for the exact location.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:22 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #24124
I checked the push breakers, none were flagged. I did however push them to have them trip and then pushed it back in, still nothing.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin F View Post
I checked the push breakers, none were flagged. I did however push them to have them trip and then pushed it back in, still nothing.
Then, as Beau said, time to break out the multimeter and find the 12 VDC input connections to the inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e02