Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2020, 03:42 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Tuscany and Entegra are full body paint, usually Silken

My neighbors SOB decals lasted 4 years

Old 12-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #22

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Don’t t blame Thor especially. They’ll be the first to tell you that most of their products are entry to mid level. Like every manufacturer they use unpainted fiberglass because it’s sturdy, shiny and cheap. When you are able to buy a whole complex house for the price of a nice pickup truck you have to know that there will be quite a few cost related concessions. I have to admit though that they could use a better quality of decal! I learned my lesson after a while and put full body paint on my “must have” list.
Well you got your full body paint with the Newmar didn’t you. 😊
Old 12-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Thor paint sucks....we wax 2x yearly and use a wash/wax monthly...still doesnt look good to me. My suggestion.forget the frickin decal swooshes and put on a clearcoat. If they would lose the hasbeen decal patterns and go wih a 2 or 3 color scheme, and then clearcut...you could end this crap. I have friends with clearcoat and havent waxed for 10 years. And dont tell me its that expensive...another 2 thou would do it....worth it. Realize how much auser puts into a bus in 5 years to keep it shiney... Thor....missed the boat again
Actually Thor's paint doesn't suck. The rigs that come out with full body paint are done in a relatively decent manner and painted with Sikkens automotive paint. Waxed once or twice a year these rigs look sharp for quite a few years.

The lower end, yes I said lower end, units that do not come with FBP are gel coat and to my knowledge aren't even sprayed with a clear coat after the decals are applied. These rigs require more attention to detail when washing and waxing and if not done repeatedly will begin to oxidize, fade and discolor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Well you got your full body paint with the Newmar didn’t you. [emoji4]

Yup. But, you know full body paint is not all sunshine and butterflies either. I lost my fridge vent/access cover somewhere on the road and it was over $500 to get one painted to match. I wouldn’t have bothered if it weren’t almost new. It took us four coaches to figure out what we really want. Expensive learning curve. Or said, another way, we were WAY to impulsive in our shopping!!
Old 12-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
For those that might be interested a member had their Hurricane painted last year. Here is the link to the forum thread

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...t-19193-2.html

If he still monitors the site maybe he'll let us know how maintenance of the finish has differed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #26

State: Nevada
THOR #21002
It's a gel coat. Cut and polish with a good compound a good RV/Marine wax. Depending where you live these coaches will always oxidize due to weather and sun. After the first cut, keep up the process and your coach will ALWAYS have the shine you're looking for.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Yup. But, you know full body paint is not all sunshine and butterflies either. I lost my fridge vent/access cover somewhere on the road and it was over $500 to get one painted to match. I wouldn’t have bothered if it weren’t almost new. It took us four coaches to figure out what we really want. Expensive learning curve. Or said, another way, we were WAY to impulsive in our shopping!!
But it IS easier to take care of... as long as you don't need to re-paint anything!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But it IS easier to take care of... as long as you don't need to re-paint anything!

Yes indeed. It was and is first thing on my must have listL
Old 12-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #29

State: Nevada
THOR #21002
I've had to repaint the back decals to my 2014 ACE due to the sun beating down on it. I'm the second owner and I purchased it with oxidation. I've since brought it back to life. Thank God!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Yes indeed. It was and is first thing on my must have listL
. I like the way that you think!
Old 12-07-2020, 01:57 AM   #31

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone883 View Post
I have a 2017 Thor four winds and has a dull finish. what can i use or do to bring back the luster/shine?

and what finish is it? paint? gel coat?
Funny you should ask!!! We have a 2018 Windsport 29m. I had not been faithful to wax it the first couple years. Heck, I didn't even wash it very much and it showed. I found a guy in Lake Norman, NC that details boats, most all boats are Gel-Coat. He did the front and back caps, both very oxidized, for $250. Used 3m compound and a wool buffer to cut the dull coat off. First, he sprayed dawn dish soap and water mixture on it, looked like snow and that removed the wax. Anywhere water still beaded he applied more dawn til it did not bead. Compounded it, then used a product called Jescar Power Lock + Plus. It's a polymer sealant and is awesome. Use a random orbital buffer with a foam pad to apply the Jescar and run on low for a while then bump up the speed and when you see it swirling then polish til it clears, then wipe with clean rag 30 minutes later. Mine looks better than when it was new and today after we blew out our water lines and winterized it, I did the front cap just for good measure, Will do the back cap tomorrow. If your not able to do this yourself, find a boat dealership and they will know someone that does gel-coats on boats!! Good Luck; Bob Trice
Old 12-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #32

THOR #10658
Dear Knucklehead,

I own a 2017 Palazzo, which is painted and have just used F11 Top Coat which is a silica dioxide polish. It is so easy to use it should be illegal. It is more expensive than auto polish but the ease of application pays for the additional cost. Less time up a ladder and much less buffing, just two microfiber cloths which you can buy with the polish ( on line only ).
I have used it on my Equinox towed which now shine like the sun as does the Palazzo.
I wanted something very hardy living as I do in Buffalo NY and have to deal with Sun, Snow and particularly road salt.
There are many other Silica Dioxide polishes available, check on line and take a chance, I think you will not be disappointed. One caveat, it needs to be not too hot when applying and must have a couple of days without rain to allow it to fully bond.
Good Luck.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #33

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzo Rod View Post
Dear Knucklehead,

I own a 2017 Palazzo, which is painted and have just used F11 Top Coat which is a silica dioxide polish. It is so easy to use it should be illegal. It is more expensive than auto polish but the ease of application pays for the additional cost. Less time up a ladder and much less buffing, just two microfiber cloths which you can buy with the polish ( on line only ).
I have used it on my Equinox towed which now shine like the sun as does the Palazzo.
I wanted something very hardy living as I do in Buffalo NY and have to deal with Sun, Snow and particularly road salt.
There are many other Silica Dioxide polishes available, check on line and take a chance, I think you will not be disappointed. One caveat, it needs to be not too hot when applying and must have a couple of days without rain to allow it to fully bond.
Good Luck.
Paint vs. Gel-Coat?? They are two different animals but glad you found what works for you!!
Old 12-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #34

THOR #10658
Smile

F 11 Top Coat like all Silica Dioxide polishes is recommended for ALL surfaces, rubber trim, wheels, boats ( thus gel coat ) , yes it worked for me and could very well work for you. If nothing else it will make your towed gleam.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #35

THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzo Rod View Post
F 11 Top Coat like all Silica Dioxide polishes is recommended for ALL surfaces, rubber trim, wheels, boats ( thus gel coat ) , yes it worked for me and could very well work for you. If nothing else it will make your towed gleam.
Sounds like a great product! Are you a sales rep for them?? LOL
Old 12-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Sounds like a great product! Are you a sales rep for them?? LOL
If he isn't: they should hire him!
Old 12-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #37

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
I'm not sure I buy that their "complex house" is the price of a nice pickup truck but I wouldn't mind it if it was sturdy (maybe) and shiny but it's not shiny..that's the problem. You can make on a budget and still maintain some quality. If they want to be Jayco, Entegra, etc....then build a good product that lasts and looks good. Like I said,....dumpt the hasbeen decals and go to bi or tri color paint and put on the clear coat. I just don't buy when they tell me it's going to get dull because it's entry level. Mercedes has an entry level 300 series and it doesn't look like shit after a few years.
Comparing your Ford powered entry level Hurricane to any part of a Mercedes that's not covered in Gel coat/Filon with decals or the shiny full body paint on an Entegra that cost 2-3 times what yours did is like comparing a Cadillac Escalade to a skateboard, you get what you pay for.
Not trying to be a smart a**, just stating the facts!
Read the forums for ANY/ALL of the other manufacturers & youll find countless post about faded gelcoat on ALL of them, it's the nature of the best!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The paint on mine is 9 coats thick...
That ain't cheap!
Old 12-08-2020, 11:03 PM   #39

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Georgia
THOR #18370
Ya know... I had a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer that had lost the shine. I tried all sorts of over-the-counter products that promised a shine, but alas NONE of them worked. They just shined the already dull fiberglass. Then, i talked to a boating buddy who details fiberglass boats: 2000 Grit Wet Sanding! Yep, a LOT of work, but wow did it turn our super-duper. Then I followed up with a good quality wax and waxed it once each year.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #40

THOR #10658
Smile

Guys, I don't work for nor do I get paid, I just love the simplicity and the science behind Silica Dioxide paint protection.
Last year I had my '91 Corvette done at Corvettes at Carlisle by "Adams" with their Ceramic Polish ( read Silica Dioxide ), the difference in the shine verses the Maguires polish I had used is amazing and its dislike for water sitting on the surface is unbelievable.
Add to all this the ease of application just sealed the deal, particularly when it comes to polishing a 32ft motorhome, up and down a ladder. Silica dioxide is like putting a glass layer over the surface.
At least do some research to figure which brand, and there are many, is right for you, I am a happy camper, and you all could be as well.