Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 01:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Thor Industries racks up $14 billion order backlog amid sustained RV demand

Decided to start a new thread on this
We’ve been talkin’ ‘bout it since the Virus started and people buying lots of RVs
Although there have been other threads on this same topic

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/thor...rv-demand.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D3F7BC5-26E2-403C-8085-AC09B0C17F32.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	31222  

Old 06-09-2021, 02:55 AM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #6433
That’s crazy they are going to be building for years
Old 06-09-2021, 03:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Keep in mind that is Thor Industries and not just Thor Motor Coach.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:23 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
That’s still probably 150.000 coaches to build and for everyone they build it’s being replaced with another order.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
So the latest "surprise" as a result of the "COVID RV Newbiew Crisis" is people put down deposits on caoches that were yet to be built (not just Thor Industry products) and dealers are now calling them to tell them the price has gone up. They can either have their depost back or they can take the coach at the new price.

Anyone who puts a deposit down on a coach (car or boat for that matter) that is yet ot be built better be asking for a price lock gurantee in their sales contract or they could be unpleasantly surprised.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #6

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
So the latest "surprise" as a result of the "COVID RV Newbiew Crisis" is people put down deposits on caoches that were yet to be built (not just Thor Industry products) and dealers are now calling them to tell them the price has gone up. They can either have their depost back or they can take the coach at the new price.

Anyone who puts a deposit down on a coach (car or boat for that matter) that is yet ot be built better be asking for a price lock gurantee in their sales contract or they could be unpleasantly surprised.
We ordered a Quantum JM31 in Jan and were informed in Feb that it would be a 2022 and not a 2021 and the price would still be the same as the contract we signed. I guess they could have increased the price and we could have accepted it or declined the order and ask for our $5000 back. We have noticed that the MSRP on our coach went up about $8000 from 2021 to 2022 so we are happy.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
We ordered a Quantum JM31 in Jan and were informed in Feb that it would be a 2022 and not a 2021 and the price would still be the same as the contract we signed. I guess they could have increased the price and we could have accepted it or declined the order and ask for our $5000 back. We have noticed that the MSRP on our coach went up about $8000 from 2021 to 2022 so we are happy.
There are also buyers out there going to dealers and offering more than what other people agreed to pay. Would not surprise me if some dealers are taking advanatge of this also.

Just like campgrounds now calling people and saying they need to pay in full or lose their reservation... even though they booked months ago and put down a deposit. You have people willing to pay more than the campground is asking becasuse demand has far out-paced supply.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
[QUOTE=Judge;297584
...Anyone who puts a deposit down on a coach (car or boat for that matter) that is yet to be built better be asking for a price lock guarantee in their sales contract or they could be unpleasantly surprised.[/QUOTE]
I agree 279%
When we ordered our Tiffin: we had a rock-solid price in the paperwork.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree 279%
When we ordered our Tiffin: we had a rock-solid price in the paperwork.

That's certainly a difference between a "good" dealer and a "bad" dealer. I would think most dealers have the full negotiated pricing in their sales agreements but I have seen some "simple" sales sheets that just list a year, make and model with a deposit amount that is signed by both parties. I would think most credible / major dealers would have a much more complex sales agreement with agreed upon pricing spelled out.

Although.... even if it is in writing, what would you do if the dealer called and said, your coach is now $5000 more and you can either pay the higher cost or get your money back? It probably would not be worth trying to fight it in court.

And it may be worth reading all of those pages of fine print where it could be hidden and say "dealer has the right to change the agreed upon price to pass along higher costs if additional costs are incurred during the wait time, etc., etc., etc."
Old 06-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Amazing what a few trillions of computer generated money can do

Prices in our area are up 50% on seasonal sites and 25% on daily plus the new electric meters

The electric power required to keep crypto money available is more than a small country uses for infrastructure

Had my alternator replaced yesterday (high voltage intermittently) and 580 bucks later back on the road

What inflation?

The new crop of RVs have already had an impact on our lifestyle

Only fact for certain is the boom has created jobs
Old 06-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Amazing what a few trillions of computer generated money can do

Prices in our area are up 50% on seasonal sites and 25% on daily plus the new electric meters

The electric power required to keep crypto money available is more than a small country uses for infrastructure

Had my alternator replaced yesterday (high voltage intermittently) and 580 bucks later back on the road

What inflation?

The new crop of RVs have already had an impact on our lifestyle

Only fact for certain is the boom has created jobs
But the "unemployed" would rather stay home and collect all that extra unemployment rather than work. It seems every business has "Help Wanted" signs, especially food and service businesses. They can't get anyone to apply.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 06-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #16876
This trend is not sustainable. So, Thor Industries had a good year so far, people are thinking hard on the work/play balance in their lives and making decisions. All this means to me is that when the trend ends, there will be a large, cheap RV inventory and lots of cheap parts available. ... And the wheels keep on turning...
Old 06-09-2021, 02:04 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
But the "unemployed" would rather stay home and collect all that extra unemployment rather than work. It seems every business has "Help Wanted" signs, especially food and service businesses. They can't get anyone to apply.
I know that you're a moderator ; but let's be careful about "baiting the hook" for a Political discussion...
Old 06-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:

You are correct, sir! It is impacting almost every industry and will further fuel inflation.

My neighbor up in PA is a farmer. He can't get anyone to work the fields.

I am shopping around for a heavy duty bumper and grille / light guard for my Magnitude. I worry about hitting an animal or getting into a fender bender with all the traffic and it wiping out a two-month trip. We are leaving in late August so if I'm pulling the trigger I need to do it now.

I talked to one of the bumper manufacturers yesterday trying to decide between steel or aluminum for the weight savings. He was a great guy and very transparent. He told me he could have the aluminum version ready by mid-July.... which work fine for me..... but in all honesty he told me I probably would not get it until early August at best because there is a shortage of truck drivers. He said he has inventory that has been ordered, built and paid for but he can't get it shipped out to his dealers.

Because of his honesty, I will probably go with the steel option since I can get it now but it was clear the lack of people willing to take jobs was frustrating and impacting his business too.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #15

THOR #6903
Friends wound up closing a large restaurant due to not enough help to staff during peak times

Sad deal and it will have to change
Quote:
Old 06-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Friends wound up closing a large restaurant due to not enough help to staff during peak times

Sad deal and it will have to change
I have seen places pre-COVID that were open 7-days a week and now many are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays because they can't get help. We ran into this yesesterday looking to stop for dinner.

The DW and I were out for on a Spyder ride Sunday and stopped for lunch. The waitress said it was a good thing we didn't stop the day before. Two cooks didn't show up and things were backed up for hours. She said it was horrible for the satff that did show up.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #17

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I know that you're a moderator ; but let's be careful about "baiting the hook" for a Political discussion...

Bob: Well said! Yummy hook! I do like the chair
Old 06-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
And it’s amazing the number of freeloaders standing on the corner with their homeless, no job, need donations signs. I simply direct them to the nearest place with the help wanted signs.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Texas
THOR #22559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
My neighbor up in PA is a farmer. He can't get anyone to work the fields.
If an RV dealer lists a 2021 Palazzo for $400,000 they would receive no customers. As they lower the price to something that is more inline with the product received they will get customers.

Same applies to any sort of work. If your farmer neighbor is having difficulty finding workers for the compensation offered, increasing the amount of compensation until they find workers is the answer.

Whether your farmer neighbor can or cannot afford to increase compensation is not relevant to a worker.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #20

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreminio View Post
If an RV dealer lists a 2021 Palazzo for $400,000 they would receive no customers. As they lower the price to something that is more inline with the product received they will get customers.

Same applies to any sort of work. If your farmer neighbor is having difficulty finding workers for the compensation offered, increasing the amount of compensation until they find workers is the answer.

Whether your farmer neighbor can or cannot afford to increase compensation is not relevant to a worker.
Great way to wind up like Argentina and Venezuela

I paid 17% interest on my home loan thanks to Jimmy Carter and had to work an extra job to pay it

Devalued money solves nothing