Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2022, 06:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #27233
Question Thor Miramar furnace does not light at 8k

I have seen other posts regarding the furnace not igniting and have followed some of the suggestions. The only time I have seen the furnace not ignite is at 8000 ft elevation. What is the solution? I am at 8k elevation now and could use some heat at nighttime. brrrrr. Any suggestions on how to correct the elevation issue?

Old 06-27-2022, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlia99 View Post
I have seen other posts regarding the furnace not igniting and have followed some of the suggestions. The only time I have seen the furnace not ignite is at 8000 ft elevation. What is the solution? I am at 8k elevation now and could use some heat at nighttime. brrrrr. Any suggestions on how to correct the elevation issue?
What's your furnace manual say about operation above 4000 ft?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:02 PM   #3

THOR #27233
No manual

Unfortunately we did not receive a lot of the manuals that should have come with the purchase of a new Thor Miramar in 2017. So I don't have a manual.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:07 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Just a guess:
Near the flame tube end there should be a brass thing that opens and closes a slot on the tube.

Give it a hand twist.
If it's not there someone else might help.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Unfortunately we did not receive a lot of the manuals that should have come with the purchase of a new Thor Miramar in 2017. So I don't have a manual.
2 Options:

Get your VIN and create an account on the Thor Owners Resource Website and have access to all your manuals; or

Locate your Furnace Model number either from the furnace itself or the Thor build sheet inside one of your cabinets and do a web search for the manual in PDF format.

In any case you may find that a high altitude kit is required.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:02 AM   #6

THOR #27233
Manual not helpful

I was able to log into the owner resources under Thor. The manual 7 pages and not much info on how to operate. Certainly no troubleshooting section and no information about elevation. I did learn the furnace is an Atwood. Atwood series AFS, AFM, AFL. So at least I have the manufacturer info and I can keep searching. If anyone else can offer any more info I'd appreciate it. Thanks all
Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM   #7

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
After reading your post it made me think…. We have a Dometic 30,000 btu in our Magnitude SV34 that we hadn’t used above 6,000’.
* at 6,000’ it took about 2-3 minutes of firing and refiring before it would burn steady - I wasn’t sure why but then saw your post - Ah, ha moment.
* Yesterday we were at 7,000’ in flagstaff and it took about 5 minutes of firing and fire-firing before it would run steady.
* Now we are at 8,100’ in CO and it took a good 17 minutes of firing and re-firing before it was a steady burn. It was 2:am and 55° in the RV so I had nothing better to do than track, time and pray it would get steady so I wouldn’t have to get out of bed and get the electric heater… (oh my) I counted to 3 it would stop, then it would make it to a 7 count, then 20, back to 3, up to 35, back to 7 and so on - after 17 minutes of this it stayed lit and brought the temp up to 68° and kept it there the rest of the night.

So if you never gave yours some time that may help. If you have given yours time you’ll need to figure something out.

Best of luck - heat is good to have.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:49 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Check this out: https://myrvworks.com/wp-content/upl...ing-Manual.pdf

The troubleshooting section indicates that air flow inside and outside the coach is a key factor.