Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #29365
Thor miramar series fuel filling question.

I'm looking to upgrade from a Thor Four Winds 28E to a 34.6 Miramar. I like everything about the 34.6 except the fill nozzle being in the back of the coach. To me this will cause my rig to stick out at least 30 feet into the parking lot, else I'd need to pull in and block an extra set of pumps.

Is this an issue or am I worrying about something I ought not be?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It would be a legitimate concern to me. My previous Chateau had the fuel fill just behind the rear axle. Other than truck stop pumps out back that were oily and having to pre-pay, I often would have to nearly block one entire side of the business just to get the filler close to the pump. It wasn't fun during g those times pumps were busy.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I couldn’t stand the rear fuel fill on a Challenger. It was a real PITA.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
The driver side biased rear fuel fill makes for interesting positioning. As to blocking every body else, that is not as much of a concern as getting your escape from the fuel island! It takes a bit more planning and street view on Google to see the available spacing when entering or exiting. Having a Toad attached makes it double the fun!
Pump hoses are another item, some are short short and others have an extension with a retract. I have positioned several times at some stations only to leave because I could not reach the fill with the hose because I had to position very far from the pump to get in or out.
Always look for pumps that are parallel to the road instead of perpendicular... the head in versions that you find make it tough to exit.
Never have a problem with Buc-ees however.
Sam's club.... not so much but have hogged up two pumps, filling from the first one and blocking the 2nd one.
Love's.... older stations that have head in pump lanes drive away.
Good luck.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:56 PM   #5

THOR #11130
Jordan...you're on the right track of "research before you buy". These are the small things most people overlook that become huge elephants in the room for the life of how long you will own it. Plumbing access, and how much moving stuff is mounted under the sink, in the slide is another. Simple is paramount for me moving forward. If you can't reach it and fix it without a major disassembly process, leave it on the lot. Fueling is something you will do almost daily. Spending so much time just to research ingress and egress of fuel stations got really, really old for me...really, really fast. You lose your ability somewhat to price shop fuel to shopping for access.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:22 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have a 2016 Miramar and early on was frustrated by the fill position as well. But after some experience I learned what to look for. With a range of around 500 miles I never found it difficult to find a station that could handle my RV and toad.

Pumps parallel to the street are always easy and dive in pumps, double stacked were no problem either. I always went to the outside island to the right and if it was in use, I'd either wait or swing around and face out. I always positioned my tail end so my nose didn't extend out.

I realize I took two fueling positions but I also was going to put twice as much fuel in my coach. I own a gas station and always loved to see an RV pull in. With that in mind, relax, don't rush it. That takes a lot of stress off.

Yes, there has been a time or two I drove in, looped around the pumps and left. But that has been the exception... Not the rule.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:42 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Miramar Owner hit the nail on the head. So what if you take up two pump islands filling a class A, most times I fill ours it's between 40- 60 gallons. We fill more at one gulp than three average SUV's.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:53 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have a 2022 Miramar and it does take up to two pump positions to get in the right position to use the pump. I know this up front and try to plan out using the outside pumps if possible. Some stations(like the Chevron before Las Vegas Nevada) are ALL RV friendly pumps plus they have 94 pumps to use. I try to look for larger stations since we tow our car with us on our trips. Some of the smaller stations can be a challenge and I to have driven into a station and back out after noticing that I would not fit without some issues. When I fill up at our Costco, I try to go early in the morning before the morning rush since I have to block two pumps.

Paul
Old 04-05-2023, 11:50 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I pull up and fill. Don’t care if I block 1 pump or 4. I can reach the rear fill from either side. He larger issue with the fuel fill is whether the rubber hose is kinked impeding fuel flow into tank. 60 gallons fills ake me 15 minutes. I’m also washing windshield. Doing a walk around inspection.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:00 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Miramar Owner hit the nail on the head. So what if you take up two pump islands filling a class A, most times I fill ours it's between 40- 60 gallons. We fill more at one gulp than three average SUV's.
Plus you don't fill the trash can at the pump island full with 3 weeks of fast food garbage piled all over the floorboards nor dump your ashtrays out on the ground while fueling. Who gives a crap if we take up 2 pumps or 3? It's sorta like a barrier to keep the idiots at bay. I told a guy once at the pump..."I may be slow but at least I'm ahead of you...quit smashing the snooze button". Not to mention the cash buyer that decides to have lunch at the "rolling food" stand while his junker sits blocking the pump for 30 minutes.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:12 PM   #11

State: Alberta
THOR #12493
I have a 2016 Miramar. I like the option of filling from either side. I haven’t had any issues with the hose being too short to reach.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
I have a 2016 Miramar. I like the option of filling from either side. I haven’t had any issues with the hose being too short to reach.
I have run into a number of stations New Mexico with short hoses. I was able to fill the ACE with the rear filler cap from the left side only by positioning the left rear corner of the coach exactly at the pump at those stations the hose was short enough that even perfectly positioned it would not reach the filler from the right side. By perfectly positioned I mean abt 2' - 3' from the pump, enough to fit a person between the pump and the RV with the back corner lined up with the fuel hose. The math RV Abt 8' wide Filler abt 3' from the Left side of the RV so 8' from the filler on the right side hose not long enough to reach 8' away.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:11 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
One of my previous RVs had a rear fuel neck and I liked that flexibility as well.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:49 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
One of my previous RVs had a rear fuel neck and I liked that flexibility as well.
Yes, the flexibility is nice but if you have a TOAD connected the filler is just a little too far left fo me to use comfortably while reaching over the tow bar. Especially if you have been driving in the rain or melting snow. Of course, some people probably like getting up close and personal with a dripping wet crud infested tow bar...... NOT!

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote