Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #41
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
I would say a lot of their issues were excessive. But also with the exception or the leaks. Been there done that they seem like fairly simple fixes. Not making excuses because they should be done right at the beginning.
Two that got me were steering not being tight and hitch bolts loose after 500 miles. Steering is something most folks check during a test drive. IMHO if someone doesn’t like the way their coach drives it is their fault for buying it after a test drive or for not taking a test drive. That is personal responsibility. Loose bolts after 500 miles? Not sure about this one.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
No doubt: he had a list...
But you're right: the PDI should have cleared up a bunch of them
Old 05-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Just guessing, someone that is new to RVs, so doesn't know what to look for or basic operations and CW did a horrible job with customer-education during the PDI ... Even the leak, it depends if it was an actual water-intrusion leak, or a plumbing leak. Most of those items are very basic quick fixes.

My Thor is the first RV I've had that didn't have plumbing leaks.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #44

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I ordered my Axis in October, it was delivered in January and we just finished a 1,500+ mile week long trip, all dry camping.

I believe that there is design quality: the type of cabinets, trim, components that Thor specifies that influence design quality. And then there is manufacturing quality: were things put together right.

The manufacturing quality on our coach was quite good. Some, may be a lot was due to the dealer correcting any obvious mistakes before the PDI. A recent poster complained that Camping World's pre delivery checkout was non existent and had so many problems he sold it. Mine may have had some of those but the dealer caught them.

After my week long trip I only found these manufacturing glitches: hot and cold reversed in bathroom sink, plumbing near the raw water pump kinked and fittings loose, and the BIM 160 wiring reversed. Most of these couldn't have been discovered by the dealer without dewinterizing and really using it like I did.

Design quality is another issue. The paneling is 1/16" thick something with a faux wood grain finish printed on it. Nick it and it is white. The Axxera radio/backup camera display looks like it is tacked in place and actually fell out when I hit a big bump. The BMPro is a POS, but that is mostly me, some probably like it. The WFCO converter doesn't charge at anything near its 55A rating. And a few others.

But all in all I like it. The general layout and design concept is great. I just wish Thor could have executed this concept better.

David
Old 05-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #45

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
I would say a lot of their issues were excessive. But also with the exception or the leaks. Been there done that they seem like fairly simple fixes. Not making excuses because they should be done right at the beginning.

But you’re right that the items on the list are pretty easily fixed. Shouldn’t be needed, of course, but that’s how RVs are. Gonna be a LOT of used RVs on the market pretty soon as disillusioned buyers bail.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:02 AM   #46

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I feel bad for anyone that buys something and then it doesn’t work as it should it’s sucks, and I think of my parents getting caught buying something like that. But then again in this day and age with all the technology now it’s easier then ever to do your research and to educate yourself. There are going to be a lot of rigs on the market in the next couple of years.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #47
Site Team

THOR #1469
Camping world does not inspect or prep units prior to sale.

Camping world charges a fee for doing a PDI.

Camping World tried selling us a customer’s coach that was in for service

Camping World Holdings stock is doing relatively well right now

Enough said
Old 05-06-2021, 12:16 AM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So what you're saying; is that,questionable business practices can make for a healthy bottom line?
Old 05-06-2021, 12:35 AM   #49
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So what you're saying; is that,questionable business practices can make for a healthy bottom line?
No, what I’m saying is the consumer side of me is not going to darken their doorway of their establishments with my presence but the financial side of we will continue to have them in the portfolio at least for the near term.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:17 AM   #50

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I will never give Camping World or Thor a moment of my time. When the time comes to buy a new coach I will not shop anything from Thor and I will not go into another Camping World. So to answer the OP's question, I have no idea and never will have any idea if Thor has improved their quality.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #51

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Early in this thread I posted about quality being even worse than "norma"l because of the spike in demand and the lack of people willing to work. Here is a perfect example of the latter point from an e-mail I just received from General RV saying they will pay $1000 sign-on bonus for RV Techs.

The RV industry.... especially dealers.... often hire inexperienced service people. Here is a perfect example. People with some technical experience is "desired" but they will provide paid training.

This is why I will almost never take a coach to an RV dealer for service. I would do the repair myself or use the Thor Service Center or an RV Restoration / Specialty Shop where they primarily have people with significant RV experience..

RV Techs Wanted - Paid Training..... Up to $1,000 sign-on bonus!

Qualifications
Prior technical experience in electrical, plumbing, or carpentry is highly desired.
Must provide own tools.
Ability to multitask and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
Reliable and strong work ethic.
Valid driver’s license.
Must pass pre-employment drug test
Old 05-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #52

THOR #12751
Those of us doing this for a while understand the RV industry and have learned to accept the lack of "real" quality control and lack of detailed workmaship. We just deal with it and move on.

That being said... I cannot blame or ridicule anyone who lays down $60,000 or $600,000 for an RV and is upset because their coach does not work as designed, has issues or can't get support from the dealer or manufacturer.

There are two industries that just about get away with murder when it comes to the customer laying down hard earned dollars and the supplier not having to deliver a quality product or providing good customer service: RV's and Airlines.

As long as the consumers do not hold the industry accountable, they will continue to operate the way they do becuase there is no motivation to change their standard business practices.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
...There are two industries that just about get away with murder when it comes to the customer laying down hard earned dollars and the supplier not having to deliver a quality product or providing good customer service: RV's and Airlines...
But if the RV Industry built the jets: we'd all be walking...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #54

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If those are the only two industries that you find frustrating then you’re very lucky or living in a bubble! Personally, I find TV and internet providers to be the worst. Followed by builders and contractors and hospitals.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #55

THOR #12751
Thor Motorhome Quality Improved?

I live in an RV bubble...[emoji23]

Of course there are other bad industries or individual compaines but I used airlines as a reference point because I have flown over 2 million miles the past 30 years and know a little about that industry.

Certainly there are bad contractors, hospitals, etc. But how many industries allow you to purchase a service and most, if not all of the companies in that industry don’t have to give you your money back if they don’t provide the product / service you purchased?

But prior to COVID.... buy a $500 ticket for a family of four and weather causes the flight to be cancelled. Lets day when they can get you on another plane two or three days later won’t work and you decided to cancel your itinerary. They don’t have to give you your money back and if you don’t book another ticket within a year, you lose $2000.

I think that constitutes robbery.

The airlines relaxed their rules because people stopped flying because of COVID. The consumer does have the power to change an industry. It will be interesting see how long it takes for the airlines to go back to their old rules once people start flying again.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #56

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Do not forget!

United Airlines*plan rained debris on Denver suburbs, narrowly missing a home, after suffering catastrophic engine failure shortly after takeoff on Saturday. The Boeing 777-200 returned to the airport in an emergency landing.

United said there were no reported injuries on Flight 328 from*Denver*International airport to Honolulu, which had 231 passengers and 10 crew on board
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #57

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Pre-Covid, the vast majority of airline revenue came from business travelers - who have no choice about making the trip, and often very little choice about what airline to use due to discount programs arranged at the corporate level.

At least with RVs, people who had a bad experience can choose to spend their money on a different manufacturer, or use a different dealer, the next time around.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #58

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Pre-Covid, the vast majority of airline revenue came from business travelers - who have no choice about making the trip, and often very little choice about what airline to use due to discount programs arranged at the corporate level.

At least with RVs, people who had a bad experience can choose to spend their money on a different manufacturer, or use a different dealer, the next time around.

Business meetings get cancelled all the time and companies don't like being stuck with a $200 change fee just to use the value of a ticket they purchased because a client cancelled or moved the date of a meeting. I have had this happen more times that I can count.

While some people are forced to use a specific airline, I was not. If I didn't like one airline, I could try another one but most of the other airlines had the same restrictive policies and poor customer service.

The RV industry is not much different, you can go to another manufacturer but quality and customer service isn't much different in many cases. Sure... you can try a custom manufacturer if you can afford it and the experience should be better, just like hiring a private plane to get you were you want to go.

Same with dealers.... you can try a different dealer and you may get lucky and find one with a great sales dept and great service dept, but that is the exception and not the rule.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:35 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Sadly... you are 100% correct.
We were lucky...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #60

Model: Gemini 24TF
State: Nevada
THOR #11090
Thor Quality

We purchased a brand new Thor Gemini 24TF in 2019. We had problems with it since the very beginning. Every time we took it out, something would break, leak, or fall off. The dealership was absolutely a disaster too - poor workmanship, forgot certain repairs, lack of knowledge on repairs, etc. We had factory technicians come out to make repairs as well and they created more damage and couldn't fix anything correctly as well. I had the rig for just over 3 years and it was in service for 17 months of that time. Thor "customer service" was a complete joke - parts trickled in for the repairs, I had to keep calling them in order to get the parts as well. Parts would be delivered damaged and I had to bug them to get the parts reordered. I knew I was not going to win with getting anything done after 3 years of Warranty work still incomplete. Customer service reps would tell me stories of the poor quality workmanship of the Amish workers they employ. Finally had to get rid of the RV and decided to buy a better quality one - Made in Canada.