Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 03:19 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
This is #60. Wanna keep it going! Who’ll give me 61?

Old 05-21-2023, 04:46 PM   #62

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
This is #60. Wanna keep it going! Who’ll give me 61?

YOU did!
Old 05-21-2023, 06:37 PM   #63

Model: Mandalay 40E
State: Ohio
THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Really?

1. Simpler is reading the Mfg provided yellow sticker (emphasis mine)
2. Maintain & Done

I have to check before every trip and usually have to top off to 82.

Any thing more is overkill, but it works too.
NO! NO! NO!

That yellow sticker tells you what the absolute maximum pressure is for the absolute maximum weight the chassis can carry! It is NOT what you should arbitrarily set your tires to. You may travel at a weight several hundred, perhaps even a thousand or two pounds UNDER the maximum weight for your chassis. My chassis is rated at a max of 34,000, but my CAT scale weigh shows I am running at 32,000 pounds. I'm not going to set the pressures for that higher weight and have a rock-hard ride.

You accuse me of overkill, yet you also said, "...I have to check before every trip and usually have to top off to 82..." I have not touched my tires since they were installed! I installed new tires in 2013 and never touched them. They were monitored on a TPMS. Those tires were replaced in 2021, set to the correct pressure for my weight, and I have not touched them since. How in the world is that "overkill?" You spend more time messing with your tires than I do.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:26 PM   #64

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
NO! NO! NO!

That yellow sticker tells you what the absolute maximum pressure is for the absolute maximum weight the chassis can carry! It is NOT what you should arbitrarily set your tires to. You may travel at a weight several hundred, perhaps even a thousand or two pounds UNDER the maximum weight for your chassis. My chassis is rated at a max of 34,000, but my CAT scale weigh shows I am running at 32,000 pounds. I'm not going to set the pressures for that higher weight and have a rock-hard ride.

You accuse me of overkill, yet you also said, "...I have to check before every trip and usually have to top off to 82..." I have not touched my tires since they were installed! I installed new tires in 2013 and never touched them. They were monitored on a TPMS. Those tires were replaced in 2021, set to the correct pressure for my weight, and I have not touched them since. How in the world is that "overkill?" You spend more time messing with your tires than I do.

Ok so here we go again...

You state...

My RV shipped from WBGO at 82 psi, so we disagree on arbitrary. The fact that you may optionally go lower is Child Play IMO. We agree that you can go lower but in my case, I checked the Goodyear Inflation Specification for a RV G670 made since 2006 and the MINIMUM air pressure is 80 psi. So playing along with your definition Maximum on same tire, same RV, same axle is 82 psi. That gives me 2 degrees to play with. I DID NOT NEED A WEIGH to calculate or figure any that out

You state...
I have a cheapo made TPMS ($50) that is pretty accurate. When I say check, I check that plus the old fashion walk around kicking the tires so to speak BEFORE every trip. When I do add air, I have my fancy dancy truck gauge that I use to check and verify pressure as I am not going back inside the RV each time to check. My tires do not stay at 82 psi forever, they drop to 78 or 79psi or so (cold temp) which is my signal to add air. So if you have gone 10 years without having to add air, I say great for you, but that astonishing great feat has nothing to do without having to get a weigh for your tire pressure; short you opt to do so ( your right).

For me and for my coach, REGARDLESS of actual weigh ( short exceed limits for either axle), my WBGO Engineering, Ford Engineering and Goodyear Engineering mandates that for all 6 tires I should be between 80 psi as the lowest & 82 psi as the highest. So using your angle, I can agree to say, "Yes I waste my time checking my air versus wasting my time getting weigh". If you say you only need to weigh once, we agree again because I have actually weighed 3 times now and all my Cat Scale weigh are published somewhere on this forum, but they were done to validate my GCVWR was in safe zone NOT to set my tire pressure.

Reference: Goodyear Inflation Guide [2018 G670 245/70R19.5]
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-21-2023, 09:28 PM   #65
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thread going nowhere fast with no added value

Closed

Tags
tire pressure