Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau
State: Arizona
THOR #20670
Toilet does not hold water in the bowl

My Kodiak Trailer had toilet with a seal which held water in the bowl. I assumed that was the best way to keep black tank fumes from escaping.
Last fall I bought a slightly used 2018 Thor Chateau 24F which had been stored for long pereods of time between uses in Prescott AZ. Any water poured into the Thor toilet quickly pours through the seal. Is this normal? I do not detect any fumes escaping from the black tank. I have tried gasket rejuvenater liquids but it leaks down so quickly there is no improvement. Could the long periods in storage with a dry toilet have ruined the gasket and should I replace the black gasket?
If I have to replace the black gasket, do I need to pull the toilet out to do so?

Old 05-16-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is simple: just replace the gasket.
Cheap, easy to get and easy to replace.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yup replace the gasket.

Removing the toilet is pretty easy its just some bolts on the floor (very similar to a home toilet). Search youtube for the make & model toilet you have and "gasket replacement" you'll find a bunch of videos.

I did mine, didn't take too long.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Toilet does not hold water in the bowl

I don’t think you need to remove the toilet just yet. The seal at the bottom of the bowl can become fouled with mineral (or other) build up or can become dry or brittle Perhaps especially following long storage that would allow the water to evaporate. Try opening the valve with the flushing lever and cleaning it manually with an old toothbrush or something. Some people put a lubricating gel like Vasoline or plumbers grease on it to soften the seal and it might be worth a try. If that fails to revitalize things I think the replacement is cheap enough and an easy DIY project. Check YouTube.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #5

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Piece of cake. My 2017 was losing water this spring when I dewinterized it. Amazon had the new ball and gasket pretty cheap. Good directions came with the kit. Took less than an hour.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
My Kodiak Trailer had toilet with a seal which held water in the bowl. I assumed that was the best way to keep black tank fumes from escaping.
Last fall I bought a slightly used 2018 Thor Chateau 24F which had been stored for long pereods of time between uses in Prescott AZ. Any water poured into the Thor toilet quickly pours through the seal. Is this normal? I do not detect any fumes escaping from the black tank. I have tried gasket rejuvenater liquids but it leaks down so quickly there is no improvement. Could the long periods in storage with a dry toilet have ruined the gasket and should I replace the black gasket?
If I have to replace the black gasket, do I need to pull the toilet out to do so?
No, water seal leaking. Replace as previously advised and as you suspected.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:14 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Before you go replacing parts, try applying some plumber's grease all around the gasket.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:39 AM   #8

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
What he said. Clean the gasket first. Maybe some debris dried up. Then apply plumber's grease. If that doesn't work, then replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Before you go replacing parts, try applying some plumber's grease all around the gasket.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:22 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Freed up our RV toilet seal

Reviewed in the United States on November 12, 2020

Size: 1/2 oz.

We are living in our 5th wheel while our new home is being built. After about 5 weeks, the toilet bowl would no longer hold water and leak down. I rinsed it well, then turned off the water, put on gloves and coated the rubber seal with this clear grease and it works like...*See more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210516-202117_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	30566  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Replace the seal. Amazon is your friend.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Avoid Vaseline. Petroleum products attack the rubber seal. Silicone grease is great stuff.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Gnach what are these? Do you have pictures?
FatMat and Hoodliner...
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 05-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Avoid Vaseline. Petroleum products attack the rubber seal. Silicone grease is great stuff.

Not to seem disagreeable or anything but Vaseline should work fine. It is true that petroleum products will deteriorate rubber but few if any modern seals actually are made of natural rubber. There is not a risk with synthetic products.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:38 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
I'm not sure about yours but I lubricate my seal with plumbers grease. I put on a disposable glove and stick my hand into the bowl and wipe around the seal with the grease. Works great!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:30 PM   #15

THOR #20220
Try this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210516-202117_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	30633  
Old 05-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:

No, it is not normal. the toilet must hold water. Yes you can replace the seal. Amazon is your friend. No, you do not have to remove the toilet. Youtube is your friend also.

PS. Thor does not make the toilet.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:32 AM   #17

Model: Chateau
State: Arizona
THOR #20670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I don’t think you need to remove the toilet just yet. The seal at the bottom of the bowl can become fouled with mineral (or other) build up or can become dry or brittle Perhaps especially following long storage that would allow the water to evaporate. Try opening the valve with the flushing lever and cleaning it manually with an old toothbrush or something. Some people put a lubricating gel like Vasoline or plumbers grease on it to soften the seal and it might be worth a try. If that fails to revitalize things I think the replacement is cheap enough and an easy DIY project. Check YouTube.
Thank you very much for your advice. I cleaned the gasket with an old tooth brush and coated it with Aquafor ( only 41% petroleum). It immediately was able to hold water. Then I poured in some Thetford toilet seal treatment. It has been several days and 100% of the water and treatment are still in the bowl. It sure beats replacing the gasket.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5767
Clean the seal with silicone or vasoline
Old 05-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Guy,
As is true of many things in your RV, especially seals, preventive care is worth the time spent. I keep a round bristle toilet brush beside the toilet bowl and use it to wipe the seal from debris. That's the firs step I take if the bowl fails to hold water. If that doesn't solve the problem I then lubricate the seal as I said in a previous post.

I lubricate the seal any time I put my Miramar in storage for more than a month or so. I have NEVER had to replace a seal in 4 motorhomes in 35 years.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:30 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Thank you very much for your advice. I cleaned the gasket with an old tooth brush and coated it with Aquafor ( only 41% petroleum). It immediately was able to hold water. Then I poured in some Thetford toilet seal treatment. It has been several days and 100% of the water and treatment are still in the bowl. It sure beats replacing the gasket.
When I had mine in storage, I kept a large plastic coffee container with water in the bath. I'd use that to replenish the water so the seal wouldn't dry out. I checked on my rig no less than once a month. Sealed it up tight. Vent insulators, reflectix (in skylight too) and damprid type containers. Never a problem anywhere.