Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2023, 10:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Tow Dolly Issue

I use a tow dolly whenever I travel a long distance from home. I tow a Honda Civic which has a low profile front end. Each time I need to disconnect the straps, I run into the problem of not being able to open the ratchets all the way needed to loosen the straps, because they won’t extend as needed, because the front of Honda is too low. It’s a constant struggle, and this past week I had to cut the straps on one side to remove car. Has anyone had a similar problem, what did you do? I am thinking of placing a 1.5 inch thick board in the well where tires sit to give me the extra height needed to open ratchet, but not sure this would be safe when towing the car.

Old 04-09-2023, 11:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Most people frustrated with dolly loading/unloading issues switch to flat towing to resolve the frustration.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:39 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
I use a tow dolly whenever I travel a long distance from home. I tow a Honda Civic which has a low profile front end. Each time I need to disconnect the straps, I run into the problem of not being able to open the ratchets all the way needed to loosen the straps, because they won’t extend as needed, because the front of Honda is too low. It’s a constant struggle, and this past week I had to cut the straps on one side to remove car. Has anyone had a similar problem, what did you do? I am thinking of placing a 1.5 inch thick board in the well where tires sit to give me the extra height needed to open ratchet, but not sure this would be safe when towing the car.

I have only come across this situation one time with my 2019 GMC Terrain on my MasterTow dolly. Take a look at the page out my tow dolly manual for how to use a screwdriver in the ratchet to release the strap. This assumes, of course, that your tow dolly's ratchet is similar to the MasterTow.

I agree that it's easier to flat-tow, but none of my 3 cars can be towed that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow dolly ratchet.png
Views:	96
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	41530  
Old 04-10-2023, 01:51 AM   #4

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
I would love to flat tow, except none of my cars can be flat towed, and according to articles I have read, more and more cars that used to flat tow will no longer be able to.

Thank you for the article/instructions on how to deal with ratchet in my situation.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:38 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Sorry can't help with your issue. Following along to see how you resolve it.
Personally, I wouldn't try raising the car with blocks, doesn't sound too safe. Maybe contact the dolly manufacturer and see what they advise.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:03 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Our American Car Dolly had the ratchet mechanism outside the car width. Make a dolly change. (?) Can you reverse or swap the ratchet to release in the downward direction? Rather than up under the car.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:35 PM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #7681
I have a similar problem towing my MiniCooper. It also runs very close to the ground and doesn't allow us to use the quick release feature on the ratchet of the straps. I learned to always keep a screw driver near by and use the screw driver to force the release of the ratchet. Learn to use the screw driver option and the problem goes away.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:01 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #1713
Tow Dolly Issue

I had this issue. Rachetts come in 3 lengths, short, medium and long. I ordered short. Solved my problem. Believe I used Cargo USA for straps and rachetts
Old 04-15-2023, 08:36 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
I had this issue with my Ford Fusion. I use a phillips head screwdriver to get into the ratchet and push down on the locking bracket. I was also having issues with the front of the car hitting the ramp so I take several 2x8 x14 boards and set them up before the ramp so the tire hits on the board before the metal ramp. if you need more clearance use some boards. but the screw drive works great. There is a slot in the back of the ratchet to leverage the tools to push down the locking bar.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:38 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
follow the diagram - works perfectly - except you are on the ground to do it.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:15 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
I had a similar problem when using a tow dolly. The screwdriver solution concerned me since it would only have to slip to gouge the sidewall of the tire.

I have a good battery powered air pump that travels with me and, recently, a light bulb lit, simply take some air out of the tire and remove the straps with a good tug. Worked like a charm. I then air the tires up and drive off the dolly.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:39 PM   #12

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
We have towed our Honda Fit, and now our Honda HRV and have had the same issue with space. We also had to cut the straps before. We carry a large screwdriver to insert, and release, instead of trying to use the ratchet handle. It saves my husband's knuckles as well!
Happy travels!