Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Traffic / Bathroom Question

You and your wife are heading to your destination and get caught in a 4 hr traffic jam because of a accident, everyone is at a standstill.
Your fine you turn off your engine and start your generator and keep yourself occupied.
Then a knock on the door, some one needs to go realy bad and asks to use your bathroom? What would you say? If you let one you know their we be more.
How would you handle this situation???

Old 01-16-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Especially the "no paper in the toilet" people.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:50 AM   #3

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
No #1 in our toilet

We have a general rule, no #1 in our RV or paper in the toilet.

We generally stay at KOA or RV resorts that have restrooms.

If we were in traffic like what happened on I-95, we would have to first only talk thru the slide window to strangers, and would explain that the COVID restrictions would prevent anyone from entering the RV.

I would certainly share water, food and paper so they could enter the wooded area on I-95.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
We have a general rule, no #1 in our RV or paper in the toilet.

We generally stay at KOA or RV resorts that have restrooms.

If we were in traffic like what happened on I-95, we would have to first only talk thru the slide window to strangers, and would explain that the COVID restrictions would prevent anyone from entering the RV.

I would certainly share water, food and paper so they could enter the wooded area on I-95.
But #2 is OK?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:51 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
So you don't use the toilet in your camper? That seems odd. I was in one of those back ups one Thanksgiving week. 6 hours to go 150 miles. Most of the time at a standstill. No one asked to use the bathroom but I don't know if I would let a stranger use my toilet if they did ask.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:58 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I would decline, as politely as I could. DW might be more considerate and probably she’d prevail. We very rarely use our toilet for #2, preferring to use campground facilities. Hardly ever use our shower either.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:31 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
About 20 years ago I was kind and let the helper of a guy who was installing carpet "use the bathroom".

After 30 minutes dealing with a plunger in an overflowed toilet... and the associated cleanup...

NEVER, EVER AGAIN!! Unless you're an invited guest, don't even ask!!
Old 01-17-2022, 03:33 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Ah, unequivocally NO! We wouldn't know these people from Adam and there are way too many unstable people these days.
We are prepared as best we can be for trouble, but we wouldn't want to invite it in either.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:13 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
NO! Would not let them in let alone use the toilet!
I've also never understood WHY some don't/won't use the facilities onboard their rv, whether it be the toilet or the shower. I/we spent the $$ on a rv so we DID NOT have to use campground, convenience store or rest area public facilities. If I get up at night with the urge I'm sure as hell NOT getting dressed to walk however far to use the campgrounds facilities whether it's #1 or #2, with paper, when there's a perfectly good toilet 4-5 steps away. Not to mention if they do use it not flushing the paper, but would rather save it in a bucket nearby, YUK! Makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense to me! Been rving for well over 40 years using the showers, the toilets & flushing the paper in every rv we've owned with NEVER an issue by doing so.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:36 AM   #10

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I would have to politely say no. And why would you purchase an RV and not use your own toilet and shower? isn't that one of the great benefits of owning an RV so you won't have to use public facilities.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:23 AM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Potentially.
I'm not going to let a kid soil themselves. Life long devasting at the wrong age..
Adults better swallow some pride and cock a door open on their ride.

I'll give toilet paper. We carry lots. Outside shower to wash hands(we travel with 3/3's tank), flashlight, bottled water, chow, clean underwear as needed...we're good for that stuff until its all gone. I'll even fire up the generator to give a (probably inconsequential but might keep their heater running) boost to some shtoop in an electric car.

We use our shower and toilet exclusively and it'd be a tough time that finds us in a koa type pack-'em-in place parked, let alone showering.
It's happened before. Just enough times to know it isn't for us.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:36 AM   #12
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
With COVID or anytime, no. I did not purchase a fully equipped RV to not use the facilities on board. I stopped using camp ground facilities when we sold the tent trailer.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:47 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I would decline, as politely as I could. DW might be more considerate and probably she’d prevail. We very rarely use our toilet for #2, preferring to use campground facilities. Hardly ever use our shower either.
MH always used for #1 #2 and nice warm showers !
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:49 AM   #14

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
no! Would not let them in let alone use the toilet!
I've also never understood why some don't/won't use the facilities onboard their rv, whether it be the toilet or the shower. I/we spent the $$ on a rv so we did not have to use campground, convenience store or rest area public facilities. If i get up at night with the urge i'm sure as hell not getting dressed to walk however far to use the campgrounds facilities whether it's #1 or #2, with paper, when there's a perfectly good toilet 4-5 steps away. Not to mention if they do use it not flushing the paper, but would rather save it in a bucket nearby, yuk! Makes absolutely no sense to me! Been rving for well over 40 years using the showers, the toilets & flushing the paper in every rv we've owned with never an issue by doing so.

amen!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 01-18-2022, 03:49 AM   #15

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
With COVID or anytime, no. I did not purchase a fully equipped RV to not use the facilities on board. I stopped using camp ground facilities when we sold the tent trailer.
Same here!
Old 01-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Ever hiked the AT? Some call it cat hole. Some call it cat scratching. Either way, that’s how it works.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #17

THOR #20220
My wife and I enjoy all the fun comments

Years ago she could not do #2 or shower until she saw me do it when it was FREEZING outside
Old 01-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
NO! Would not let them in let alone use the toilet!
I've also never understood WHY some don't/won't use the facilities onboard their rv, whether it be the toilet or the shower. I/we spent the $$ on a rv so we DID NOT have to use campground, convenience store or rest area public facilities. If I get up at night with the urge I'm sure as hell NOT getting dressed to walk however far to use the campgrounds facilities whether it's #1 or #2, with paper, when there's a perfectly good toilet 4-5 steps away. Not to mention if they do use it not flushing the paper, but would rather save it in a bucket nearby, YUK! Makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense to me! Been rving for well over 40 years using the showers, the toilets & flushing the paper in every rv we've owned with NEVER an issue by doing so.
Same here except for the first two in the 60's, they had porta poties for the kids

If we stop along the road or in a rest area the Tuscany bathrooms seem to work

No to most strangers and if i did my personal protection would be ready

Things have changed

Over the years i have helped countless folks with tires, dead batteries, wheel bearings, air. And the list goes on

Now we drive by. Society has degenerated
Old 01-18-2022, 02:34 PM   #19

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Ok, I'm enlightened by the post above this one.

If I had a cassette toilet/poop bucket in a wet closet,
deucing and a shower would indeed be a last resort.

Maybe the
we don't use it folk
have a cassette/wet room.
(If cassette isn't the case...man, I am REALLY not getting it.)

And
In olden days we would never pass anyone up unless we could see at a glance they were in control of the situation.
Now
I'll glance at cell phone. If there's a signal I figure maybe they're just too Damn stupid to have a cell phone with them/be helped, or they can call for help.
If there isn't a cell signal, I park far away and holler to them.
They've almost always been just as cautious and turned down my offer.

I posted in my signature thread of my roadside help stop a couple of months ago. I used my sawzall to cut the fender off of some tiny car that had sideswiped an 18 wheeler, right in the tire. Pictures in the the thread.

No threat seen or perceived, so I stopped.
5'2" 280lb YOUNG girl in a tube dress headed to California from Tennessee. Livin' dat life. Some bunboy haired, plaid shirt and striped Bermuda shorts guy asleep in the front seat.
I was there 6 minutes max.
My cell phone in my chest pocket, video capturing. No way I'm going to be near a potentially psychotic Karen without proof against allegation.

A homeless guy was using a piece of metal to try and pry the fender from her tire. I took off so fast I forgot to pay for his lunch(this still bothers me).

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Learned something new today — did not know about “no paper in the toilet” people.

In a traffic jam I would not worry as much about my own safety, thinking (hoping) it’s unlikely to get murdered with other people all around. That may change as I get older and feel more vulnerable.

I’m more compassionate with children and older people and would probably help them out, but it would depend on how they presented. As to setting a precedence for others to follow, I would tell them nicely we were headed back home and tanks are now full. Sorry.

The question reminds me that when cycling long distances in large groups, it was common to stop on side of isolated road and have a potty break. I was shocked the first time I saw women relieve themselves right along side of men, but it quickly becomes normal. Same thing happened before start of a marathon when portable toilet lines were too long. It’s nature, not a big deal.