Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Trashy Campers

We pickup after campers in almost every place we camp. Seems to be getting worse now than in the past

The only places we don't are the Resorts that have staff going around and picking up after the Trashy Campers

Two places we used to utilize in dispersed areas are now displaying this or similar signs. Both are near or in National Parks. Truly sad

Surely we can do better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trashy Campers.png
Views:	117
Size:	680.2 KB
ID:	32975  

Old 08-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Cool

We've been camping since the 70's, and our #1 rule has been to always leave our campsite cleaner than we found it.

Take only photographs, and leave only footprints.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I swear, our dogs have better hygiene than many humans. I've seen camping areas that prove some people were NEVER taught basic cleanliness principles. GROSS!! This is WHY we rarely if ever use campground showers. I love my private privvy!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We pickup after campers in almost every place we camp. Seems to be getting worse now than in the past

The only places we don't are the Resorts that have staff going around and picking up after the Trashy Campers

Two places we used to utilize in dispersed areas are now displaying this or similar signs. Both are near or in National Parks. Truly sad

Surely we can do better
They could post that sign in Walmart parking lots.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That’s why many WalMarts or communities are shutting down overnight parking in parking lots. Many that use Walmart are nothing but lazy no good for nothing pigs.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:25 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Expect the worst from those around you ..
You'll never be disappointed!
Old 08-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Expect the worst from those around you ..
You'll never be disappointed!
Truer words never spoken!
We work kamped as housekeepers at a 55+ RV resort resort for a couple winter seasons, it absolutely blew us away at how nasty people old enough to know better could be.
We never could figure what the thrill of folks 55+ could get from writing on the walls in poop????
Some of those folks must have been from 3rd world countries due to the amount of soiled toilet paper thrown into corners of the toilet stalls???
Welcome to the mememe times!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:02 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Rarely will any animal crap in their own nest... Leave it to humans to bring disgusting to a whole new level.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:10 AM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
It has been terrible around here the last few years, too. I can't believe what slobs there are. They just expect someone else to pick up after them. My neighbor, a state fish and game officer was out watching for people shooting power lines and dumping trash on BLM land recently, when he witnessed, video taped and cited a man in a class A motor home stop in the middle of a paved road at 4 in the afternoon and open his black tank. He had just relocated here from out of state and stated that we must not want him here. Brian made him clean it up as best he could, wrote him a state citation, and turned him in to the Feds because it was on BLM land. They charged him also. Problem is, so few of these jerks get caught.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:27 AM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I swear, our dogs have better hygiene than many humans. I've seen camping areas that prove some people were NEVER taught basic cleanliness principles. GROSS!! This is WHY we rarely if ever use campground showers. I love my private privvy!
How much water do your dogs carry with them?

I have only used public restrooms facilities / showers once while traveling with the RV and that was because the coach was winterized. We went through a lot of trouble to get coach that was fully assessible without the slide out.

We have bounced a few campsite that some pretty weird things / trash left in the fire ring ( that we never use)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #11

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
I have a friend who says after a visit to Walmart he feels the need to take a shower.

Will Rogers said "he never met a man he did not like". Will certainly lived in different times.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #12

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
We've been camping since the 70's, and our #1 rule has been to always leave our campsite cleaner than we found it.

Take only photographs, and leave only footprints.
We have done the same and tought the kids and grandchildren to pick up after the slobs
Old 08-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
My favorite expression...."you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t". These trashy people will never change...it's a lifestyle issue. People here at the beach do the same thing...bury beer cans and cigarette butts in the sand and leave all their food garbage on the beach when they leave. Sadly...they do it in front of their kids...so, here comes the 2nd generation of trashy people. A local addressed one once about it and they said..."we're on vacation...let the city pick it up". It's the same people that throw the trash out the windows on the highways. Say a prayer for them...God answers prayers.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #22431
Quote:
LOL! Sadly, the trash problem in Walmart parking lots is almost entirely due to the locals, not overnight RVers.

We've been using Walmart parking lots for overnight stops for twelve years and very rarely ever see an RVer leave trash around. Most, in fact, will pick up trash around their spot - not to mention pushing orphaned grocery carts to the nearest cart corral.

A couple of years back I had a discussion with the manager at the Mansfield, Ohio Walmart about the trash problem at his store. (He caught me picking up trash around the RV and pushing a couple of carts to a cart corral.) His complaint was that the locals simply would not walk ten or fifteen feet to put trash in a barrel or carts in a corral!
Old 08-28-2021, 08:20 PM   #15
KCP

THOR #18659
Unfortunately we have a lot of new campers that started camping because of COVID-19 and I don’t think they have a clue about camping etiquette. That’s why we are seeing so many complaints about trash and people running through camp sites that aren’t theirs. Hopefully they will get tiered of camping and sell their unit and we can get back to camping life like it should be. Just sayn.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:12 AM   #16

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
All above comments are true as I have also seen some trashy sites. My wife and I are both retired military and can therefore use the campgrounds available on just about any military base.

Some people may not like the because the "restrict your freedom" meaning there are strict rules and they are enforced. No noise, no drunks, no trash, no lose dogs etc........we love it.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:24 AM   #17

Model: Daybreak
State: New York
THOR #377
Trashy campers

I agree that camping etiquette is something that everyone should observe. But I don’t think that those new to camping should get a pass for not knowing that they should clean up after themselves. That’s just common human decency, camping or not. In fact most of what we consider camping etiquette is really just the good manners that we should all practice all the time.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:56 AM   #18

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
Started noticing this last year at one of our favorite Forestry Service Land we have been boon docking on for several years. The spot where we like to camp had a lot of trash left behind, so we picked it up, one of the areas along the river where we fly fish had lots of poop and toilet paper left behind.
While staying there, one day a young lady with the forestry service stopped by she was checking our Kawasaki Teryx for the ORV sticker ( which we had ) and we told her about the trash we had been finding, and she told us she has been picking up all sorts of trash left behind and lots of toilet paper and with all these new campers it's been busy and they put on extra agents just because of all the trash they are leaving behind and when they catch them they get a hefty fine, plus clean up their mess and any other mess that's not theirs.
Also writing a lot of tickets for an open fire when it is clearly posted High Fire Danger open fires prohibited.
Now this year we noticed things were kind of back to normal, few campers and the area we like to camp at did not look it had been used.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Education Works for this issue.

Education works for this issue. Patience and education will work for this issue of a clean environment. The USFS has sponsered the LNT program in many wilderness areas.
Leave No Trace is a simple way to teach outdoors enthousiasts on the basic actions to take while out of their own home. From fly fishing and hunting to camping and hiking and also RV Sports in the Wild : everyone can and should put their hands to work and "Leave No Trace" wherever they go to recreate. Another one is "Pack in / Pack out" initiative to Carry all you need for your activities, and also pack out, everything you carry, and why not, most garbage you find on your way.
I have been using this in the wild for most of my life. https://lnt.org/

The best way to make sure change will happen is to teach it in school , our kids are great listeners when we show them how important this issue is.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #20

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #16788
It is nice to see fellow RVers who are as upset by the trashing of our public lands as we are. Arizona recently opened up some areas that were closed due to fire danger. We found one of our previously enjoyed areas totally ruined by 4 bags of trash and human waste left on this wonderful site. We took photos and wrote an Opinion Editorial piece to the local paper and also wrote to our state senator. Lots of sympathetic ears but not much else happened.
Agree that starting in the schools is the best way to start a generation that actually cares about preserving our public lands and not disrespecting the environment, especially for others.