Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2020, 11:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Advise! Slideouts and winds

Hello gang

So I was at a big off-road race in Parker, AZ last week. I decided to stay an extra night after the race ended. The wind got crazy. Probably 20 gust 35 and lots of sand blowing. Had to save the camp at 0100 cuz everything was blowing away.

K so... the whole rig shook all night. I was on levelers. The next morning, the big slide (2 track), would not close the last inch. I went into the Running Man station over to the truck side and deployed levelers, slides, and it closed, albiet slower than normal.

Is there a technique about wind limits? Looking for "been there done that" or was it just a one time thing? Can you bend your slide tracks in inclement weather?

Cheers

Thor 35sk

Old 11-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
Hello gang

So I was at a big off-road race in Parker, AZ last week. I decided to stay an extra night after the race ended. The wind got crazy. Probably 20 gust 35 and lots of sand blowing. Had to save the camp at 0100 cuz everything was blowing away.

K so... the whole rig shook all night. I was on levelers. The next morning, the big slide (2 track), would not close the last inch. I went into the Running Man station over to the truck side and deployed levelers, slides, and it closed, albiet slower than normal.

Is there a technique about wind limits? Looking for "been there done that" or was it just a one time thing? Can you bend your slide tracks in inclement weather?

Cheers

Thor 35sk
That is just a cooling breeze. If wind gets above 10 mph, we pull the patio awning in. If it gets above 20 mph, we pull both slide in. If it gust above 40 mph, we pull the jacks because the wide track of the tires makes the more stable. It is not uncommon to have 40 mph winds gusting to 50 mp during the day in the Spring on South Padre Island. It usually calms down at night enough to put the bedroom slide out. The Spring cold fronts are quite breezy in South Texas.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #3

Model: Omni RB34
State: Oregon
THOR #20891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If wind gets above 10 mph, we pull the patio awning in.
If it gets above 20 mph, we pull both slide in.
If it gust above 40 mph, we pull the jacks.
Good rules! I’ve added them to my SOP manual.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #4

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
We rode out a tornado warning in our first coach on one vacation, in the middle of the night. Our best friend was the NOAA Weather radio built into the camera/radio unit. We kept the awning in but the slides out, and had no issues, thankfully.
GVP
Old 11-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Now that we've heard about this: we are all forewarned.
Thanks for letting us know about it.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I usually bring the slide in when the wind picks up. Keeps debris from getting under the awning and on top of slide at the least and also keeps the awning from getting torn.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
We have pulled the slides in on several occasions due to high winds. The slide covers were making horrible sounds as they vibrated in the wind, and we were fearful they would be ripped to shreds.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #8

State: Iowa
THOR #18260
So let me throw this out there, I have the same problems and have contemplated removing the slide toppers. Any thoughts?
Old 11-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #9

State: Nevada
THOR #20052
Hello everyone.
We had 50mph winds in echo canyon during the night and had no problems. 2017 freedom elite 26he
Old 11-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
So let me throw this out there, I have the same problems and have contemplated removing the slide toppers. Any thoughts?
If they are attached properly: is would seem that they should be okay...
Old 11-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
On removing the slide toppers, DONT DO IT! I was having slide out repairs done on my Hurricane 34J when CW broke the bracket on the topper. I had to leave for a trip while parts were on order. We drove through rain for a period of time and the first time I put on the brakes I had a waterfall land on my head while moving due to a huge puddle that formed on the top of the retracted slide. Upon investigating I realized the top of the slide seal is not perfect and water coming off the roof went right behind the slide and ran onto the top.
With the topper this was never an issue. Keep in mind the roof has no gutter system like you see on trailers.
Toad 2 - 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fordste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:44 AM   #12

Model: Axis
State: Oregon
THOR #10837
Slide topper in wind.

I have a 2018 Thor Vegas with the rear bedroom slide only. In strong winds, I turn the rig into the wind to prevent sustained or gusts of wind from getting under and, possibly, damaging the topper. I carry a telescoping ladder in the clothes closet and use it to clear any debri from under the topper on top of the slideout. You should always inspect that area after a wind event and once a week or so clean it?
Old 11-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #13

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Texas
THOR #16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by droregon View Post
Good rules! I’ve added them to my SOP manual.
Same!! Thank you!!!!