Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Updating Ed Felker's Manual for Vegas/Axis for Changes 2020+

Some, maybe most of you have read Ed Felker's manual on the Thor Vegas/Axis coach. It provides specific information to the Vegas/Axis that you won't find in the generic Thor manual.

I am working with Ed to add information specific to changes made in 2020 and subsequent years. I have a 2021 Axis. The following are the systems that I know changed. Some may have been instituted before 2020 like the Girard tankless water heater but I include that one because the current manual is light on details of the Girard.

BMPro- Replaced the old Rapid Camp and is a comprehensive DC and AC control system for lights, slides, awnings, AGS, A/C and propane heater thermostat, tank levels, battery voltages, etc. This was by far IMO the most significant change made in this period.

Girard Tankless Water Heater- Like I said it was instituted before 2020 (can someone advise the date) and I will include more info on it.

Precision Circuits BIM 160- This functionally replaces the old BIRD/Trombetta battery isolation relay.

Larger Axxera radio/backup camera display.

Manual rotary battery disconnect switch in place of the Use/Store store switch that controls a latching relay.

Ford 7.3 liter V8 engine and chassis modifications.

Sani Flush system

And the list probably goes on. So if you see something missing, please post it. This will result in Ed's manual being fully up to date.

David

Old 02-22-2022, 03:30 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Some, maybe most of you have read Ed Felker's manual on the Thor Vegas/Axis coach. It provides specific information to the Vegas/Axis that you won't find in the generic Thor manual.

I am working with Ed to add information specific to changes made in 2020 and subsequent years. I have a 2021 Axis. The following are the systems that I know changed. Some may have been instituted before 2020 like the Girard tankless water heater but I include that one because the current manual is light on details of the Girard.

BMPro- Replaced the old Rapid Camp and is a comprehensive DC and AC control system for lights, slides, awnings, AGS, A/C and propane heater thermostat, tank levels, battery voltages, etc. This was by far IMO the most significant change made in this period.

Girard Tankless Water Heater- Like I said it was instituted before 2020 (can someone advise the date) and I will include more info on it.

Precision Circuits BIM 160- This functionally replaces the old BIRD/Trombetta battery isolation relay.

Larger Axxera radio/backup camera display.

Manual rotary battery disconnect switch in place of the Use/Store store switch that controls a latching relay.

Ford 7.3 liter V8 engine and chassis modifications.

Sani Flush system

And the list probably goes on. So if you see something missing, please post it. This will result in Ed's manual being fully up to date.

David
I've been looking at some 22's online (and in Thor's specs): It looks like they switched back to a tank water heater. Look at the specs page:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/specs/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-22 103014.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	36206
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I can confirm my 2022 has a 6 gallon hot water heater and an armless awning.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
The Girard Tankless water heater was standard on our 2018 Axis, which we bought new. I'm not well versed in all the details and timelines, but hope this tidbit helps at lease a little.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #5

THOR #20289
Ed Felker's excellent manual on the Thor Vegas and Axis has now been updated to include system changes made in 2020 and subsequent years. It can be found here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiYx6DLSeiiPgYZh3AAeCE-7NyE2nw

The Addendum discussing change to recent Thor/Axis models should be useful to all 2020+ owners but also owners of other Thor models which have these new systems. The information on the new BMPro should be particularly useful.

A copy of the Addendum is attached.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Addendum for Changes Made to 2020[5948].pdf (57.7 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Thank you. We sure appreciate this!
Old 03-03-2022, 02:45 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Awesome! Thanks for picking up the torch and carrying it forward!

So many are greatly in debt to Mr Felker, myself included.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Tankless water heater

Thanks for all your work on the updates. I have a 2017 25.2 which came standard with a tankless hot water system. It works great with temp set at 105 and no cold water added. We adjust to max heat when washing dishes.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:10 PM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
Water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've been looking at some 22's online (and in Thor's specs): It looks like they switched back to a tank water heater. Look at the specs page:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/specs/

Attachment 36206
When we bought our 2022, 24.1, the sheet taped to the wall listing our features had both tankless and tank water heaters listed. I guess supply dependant. Our happened to be tankless.

Another issue is some newer models have doghouse insulation?
Old 03-06-2022, 12:46 AM   #10

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
Another issue is some newer models have doghouse insulation?
Although I haven't removed it yet to see how it is insulated, the doghouse on our 2021 Axis is quite cool on the outside.

David
Old 03-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Well done and thanks so much for all the info.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:31 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Although I have a 2018 Vegas 25.5, not a 2020 or later, I appreciate his efforts. His manual for the 2018 has certainly come in handy.

Alajeu