Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
The less stroke you have out the more stable things are going to be. The wider the footprint the less pounds per square inch your transferring to the ground.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
So they will let you lay a piece of PVC on the ground with the hose inside?
I don't know what they will allow or tolerate but I have seen the sewer hose rule in several campgrounds, primarily out west as I recall. It wasn't sharply enforced but could be if they were trying to get rid of someone. One campground in extreme southern Michigan just north of Elkhart had us initial by the "park rules". They didn't search the motorhome for my booze and guns but I didn't flaunt them either.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
No guns and no booze?!?
What do they do for fun in that Park?
Old 06-26-2021, 10:24 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I don't know what they will allow or tolerate but I have seen the sewer hose rule in several campgrounds, primarily out west as I recall. It wasn't sharply enforced but could be if they were trying to get rid of someone. One campground in extreme southern Michigan just north of Elkhart had us initial by the "park rules". They didn't search the motorhome for my booze and guns but I didn't flaunt them either.
I know many people that are seasonal and rules only apply for weekenders. Seasonal people bring in all the wood they want, weekenders must buy from the store. Rules don't apply to seasonal people. I buy one bundle and use my own.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:36 PM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The wood for jacks at one park mentioned says on asphalt pads. I know from my driveway that jacks will sink into asphalt on a hot day and as much as an inch over 3 or 4 consecutive hot days.

Many campgrounds want sewer hoses elevated to keep their groundskeeper from trashing them and creating a mess with their weed eater. The pvc is allowed because it protects the hose from said weed eater.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:41 PM   #26

THOR #20274
That's good to know, I've been bringing my own weed wacker because they never cut the lawn on a weekday
Old 06-27-2021, 01:02 AM   #27

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Some parks require blocks under jacks. I have seen that about half dozen times.
Traveling all across the country we encountered several parks that required blocks under jacks, but NO I never kept track of the names or locations as I always used Lynx Levellers under all the jacks at every stop.
I will say if folks would read the rules section on RV park brochures that most all parks hand out when you check in they'd now what/was not allowed, but amazingly enough most do not read them, especially nowadays where the comments are "I payed for the spot I'll do what I want!".
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:07 AM   #28

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Traveling all across the country we encountered several parks that required blocks under jacks, but NO I never kept track of the names or locations as I always used Lynx Levellers under all the jacks at every stop.
I will say if folks would read the rules section on RV park brochures that most all parks hand out when you check in they'd now what/was not allowed, but amazingly enough most do not read them, especially nowadays where the comments are "I payed for the spot I'll do what I want!".
We stayed at a newer park in Iowa that was bought out, I asked for a list of rules. They told me just do what you do at other campgrounds
Old 06-27-2021, 01:21 AM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
We stayed at a newer park in Iowa that was bought out, I asked for a list of rules. They told me just do what you do at other campgrounds
Did you get drunk, pee in the pool, and set the pinic table on,fire? (AGAIN)
Old 06-27-2021, 01:34 AM   #30

THOR #20274
No we just made a large campfire on the concrete patio
Old 06-27-2021, 01:52 AM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How large was it, and how many,Fire Departments responded?
Old 06-27-2021, 02:02 AM   #32

THOR #20274
They dropped off about a face cord of wood, there weren't any fire departments available because they were all at the fire across the river in Illinois when the Chemtool plan went up in flames, Honest I didn't set it before I left Illinois
Old 06-30-2021, 07:24 PM   #33

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Snap pads for the purpose of protecting the leveling jack feet and soft surfaces like asphalt. Snap pads do nothing, repeat nothing, to assist with unlevel conditions. For that a couple of 2x12 blocks come in handy.
I was wondering about the snap pads. I have a blacktop driveway on the side of the house I had put in one day I didn't put my plywood pads down and I have small depressions from the jacks. The snap pads don't seem to be that much larger than the foot on the jacks. Will they protect the blacktop or not?
Old 06-30-2021, 07:36 PM   #34

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedbug123 View Post
I've seen "you tubes" that have coach owners stating you should always put blocks of wood or other type pads under you current OEM cylinder pads.

Is any extra padding needed on solid ground? Or is that only if ground is unstable, wet or slushy?
l?
If so when you hit your auto level, how do you get the pads under without stopping that process. Or do you do each cylinder until close to hitting and put each pad one at a time? Then hit auto lever

To extra pad or not is the question.
Four years, two rigs, and many dozens of uses have never used a pad. I carry the plastic leveling blocks but haven’t needed them with jacks.

I can’t recall parking on pavement (I don’t do RV parks) but with today’s temps I probably would use the plastic pads on blacktop.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:37 PM   #35

THOR #22687
Quote:
My sewer hose sometimes is so close to the ground the trestle would make it go up hill. I went to a new campground on the Mississippi in Iowa and the sewer was maybe 2 feet away, that was fun modifying a short hose I carry instead of using one of my 25 footers. If I used the trestle I would have to keep it tied together and the water would go up hill
Our 28Z is close to the ground. If I support the black water hose in any way, it goes up hill.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #36

THOR #20274
Agreed
Old 06-30-2021, 08:00 PM   #37

THOR #22586
12 years, 6 rigs, and hundreds of setups and I usually use home made pads under the jacks. I always carry them but on odd occasions don't use them. Sometimes I don't use the leveling system if it's only an overnight stop and doesn't require disconnecting (5th wheel). With the previous toy hauler I could easily be in a site that the front jacks/struts would reach maximum extension. Not stable at all.

EDIT; Unless a park requires the use of pads under the jacks, it's purely an individual option to use pads or not. There are not "pad police" like there are "weight police".
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 06-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #18738
I live In Soddy-Daisy and stayed all the campgrounds around and never seen requirements for pads??
Old 06-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #39

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyatt View Post
I live In Soddy-Daisy and stayed all the campgrounds around and never seen requirements for pads??
Look at the requirements at Chester Frost, that's close to Soddy Daisy. Some sites are required to have blocks. From the reservations and rules page;. No Tents Allowed on the Grass except on Primitive Sites or Overflow Sites. Stabilizers and jacks must have wooden blocks under each unit when parked on asphalt sites.

EDIT I just happened to be on the Hamilton County park site making a reservation in July and had just looked at the "rules" for my curiosity.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 06-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #40

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
we have one in Washington that I know of that required because the have asphalt and I guess it is to distribute the weight a little??
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is online now   Reply With Quote