Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasrig View Post
There is a reason that the Ford F150 is still the best selling vehicle in the US for something like 20 years in a row. Driving number 5 right now (combined over 800,00 miles) with no major problems.

It's because of price to the commercial industry. Ford stamps out millions of no-frill, basic, cheap trucks for the pest control, construction, municipal governments and many other industries. Yes. Ford builds a great truck but leading the industry as the best selling is not based on retail consumer sales. I've been a GM guy for years...the F550 has changed my mind...very quiet and comfortable truck with zero issues. I do think, if you took the badges off all three and drove each of them 100K miles, you would not know the difference. Quality in general has really improved. One negative...Dodge (RAM) is now owned by a foreign company...I buy only "owned and built in America".

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Regarding the F-150 (I own one):

Only 50 percent of the truck is sourced from North American suppliers, but Ford is obviously deeply ingrained here, which explains the relatively high ranking despite the parts content deficiency.
-Motor Trend Oct 22, 2020

It's all about semantics... "made", "built" and "assembled" are catchy marketing terms, but those "offshore parts" still make up about half of the truck.

I came to realize what a "global economy" truly means several years ago:
I found an American flag that had "Made in China" printed on the edge...
Old 09-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
My wife and her friends and many business owners had Ford rangers with few issues.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #24

THOR #16721
I had a "first generation" 1991 Ford Ranger - 4wd extended cab, and LOVED IT! Well at least until the tranny gave out. But it had a pretty cushy ride for a truck.
Bottom line... would I recommend a Ford truck? Yes.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #25

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I had a "first generation" 1991 Ford Ranger - 4wd extended cab, and LOVED IT! Well at least until the tranny gave out. But it had a pretty cushy ride for a truck.
Bottom line... would I recommend a Ford truck? Yes.
Any of the big 3 are OK and not a ton of differences in them either. your American made truck can come from the US, Canada, or Mexico. After all NORTH American. I prefer a larger (5.0-5.7) normally aspirated engine and don't care for what Ford is doing in the new Ranger. I would have considered it with a mid sized V-6, but not the small I-4 turbo.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #26

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It's because of price to the commercial industry. Ford stamps out millions of no-frill, basic, cheap trucks for the pest control, construction, municipal governments and many other industries. Yes. Ford builds a great truck but leading the industry as the best selling is not based on retail consumer sales. I've been a GM guy for years...the F550 has changed my mind...very quiet and comfortable truck with zero issues. I do think, if you took the badges off all three and drove each of them 100K miles, you would not know the difference. Quality in general has really improved. One negative...Dodge (RAM) is now owned by a foreign company...I buy only "owned and built in America".
You are absolutely correct about the commercial industry & Ford truck sales.
I worked for a major oil company that probably leased a 1000 Ford trucks a year, as did every other oil company in the area, which most likely accounts for 50%+ of Ford's advertised "best selling truck". Although most of those trucks the non commercial public wouldn't buy & you won't find them on Ford's sales lots, rubber floor mats, vinyl bench seats, & crank up windows, just a basic cab, bed & motor. For several years back in the late 70s to late 80s they were all 6 cylinder, 4 speed manual tranny, no radio, no a/c, no power anything trucks. The last I had did have a/c, auto transmission, power windows/locks, other than that just a basic pickup. We had 1st option to buy them when the lease was up, but due to the nothingness of the truck & 2 years driving oilfield lease roads I wouldn't have taken one if they were giving them away. Unlike Gritz I have yet to drive one that made me say "WOW" or change my mind about them.
Sorry for the long boring story! I'm done!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #27

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Any of the big 3 are OK and not a ton of differences in them either. your American made truck can come from the US, Canada, or Mexico. After all NORTH American. I prefer a larger (5.0-5.7) normally aspirated engine and don't care for what Ford is doing in the new Ranger. I would have considered it with a mid sized V-6, but not the small I-4 turbo.
I have the 3.5 "twin turbo" in my F-150. Many "car guys" say they would always choose the naturally aspirated V-8. True, the V-8 has "history", and fewer moving parts (so doesn't a crank window), but boosted engines have been around for MANY years. I have had zero issues with mine.

I won't go into the specs of the 2017 Coyote V-8 vs. the 3.5 turbo - but my decision then for the slightly more expensive engine centered on the better torque for towing. The "engine note" didn't even enter into the equation... maybe if I was still a teenager awed by loud engines??

You want controversy - Look at some of the HEAVILY boosted THREE cylinder engine options hitting the market! I think as EVs become more mainstream, you'll see ICE engines follow that trend - with the exception of the specialty market.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
As for small turbo engines, the new Koenigsegg Gemera with is 2.0 liter three cylinder engine. The engine develops 600 hp at 6,600 rpm and and 443 lb-ft of torque at 4,900 rpm. Along with the electric motors this hybred will go from 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 248 mph. It has a range of 640 miles if the speeds are held below 150 Kph (93 mph).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:49 AM   #29

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
As for small turbo engines, the new Koenigsegg Gemera with is 2.0 liter three cylinder engine. The engine develops 600 hp at 6,600 rpm and and 443 lb-ft of torque at 4,900 rpm. Along with the electric motors this hybred will go from 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 248 mph. It has a range of 640 miles if the speeds are held below 150 Kph (93 mph).
That's incredible!!

If you know who rally driver Ken Block is, he just signed on with Audi. There is a YouTube video of him "showcasing" Audi's new electric "supercar" dubbed E-Tron GT. 590 HP... but at $140k, I won't see one in my neck of the woods anytime soon.

It's only a matter of time before energy storage (batteries) catches up... which will revolutionize transportation... AND RVs! Now... get prices down to where average Jack & Jill can afford that stuff.