Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 02:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Where/how do you store your RV??

As still working folks & parents of school-aged kids, we're infrequent low-mileage RV'ers ... like 3-wks a year if we're lucky. Regardless, family situations make RV'ing the best vacationing choice for us vs. hotels.

Since 2006, I was fortunate to have indoor dry storage for my RV('s) (an old cotton warehouse) at a very reasonable rate. Unless we were using or maintaining the RV, it didn't see the light of day. It showed too .. when we sold our last it looked near-new.

Literally weeks after purchasing our current A.C.E. 30.2, the owner of our storage spot sold the warehouse & we got kicked out ... the RV has been in our driveway ever since.

Storing the RV in the driveway is not a long-term solution. As well, because of my lot & neighborhood, it would be difficult to build a garage/erect a cover without violating some sort of rule or having it devalue the property. Living in a rural area, I've found no where else to rent a dry-storage spot that's not hours away.

I feel like I'm stuck with the idea of a gravel pad in the side-yard & a fabric cover .... or, either just getting out of the RV as I'm not really willing to let the sun take its toll 365-days a year on such an asset.

How or where do you folks store your RV when your not using it??

Old 03-29-2021, 02:30 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ours sits out in the sun 365 days a year in an RV storage lot with an auto restoration business on the lot. The auto restorers offer up their services to the RV owners so we have a ready service area right in the storage lot. Just stop in the office ask for some work and toss them your keys (or, optionally, you can just leave a set there so you can call...).

This has worked out quite well for us with several of the larger mods we've done for the RV (er replacing the couch with recliners for one).

I cover the RV in the winter months as I'm not too fond of putting the cover on and then off again during the summer.

We're on season 7 with our Axis and its showing its age. We have done our best to keep it in shape, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:41 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
If you can store at your house somehow that is your best option. Mine got broke into and everything stolen at a 24 hr security Uhaul place covered lot... . I moved to a one, closes at 5 at and lets the dogs out. NO cover though. Was 1/2 price, so that to the credit side.. and the front was exposed to sun covered as it is now. Plus the dogs will tear up anyone trying to get into my rig. I love dogs.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If you are infrequent users, why not rent one when you want to hit the road. It would probably be cheaper and you wouldn't have to worry about storage or the effect of the weather.

I have had a number of coaches parked in my driveway for the last 30 years and honestly, the weather doesn't affect the appearance that much. They get washed before and after each trip and the roof gets scrubbed twice a year when I inspect the dicor. They are loaded and ready to go at all times. When we worked, we would leave on Friday night after work and come back on Sunday morning. Any trip away was worth the time and effort and the memories made with our daughter and then grand kids will last for the rest of our and their lifetimes.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:21 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Mine is stored in the sunlight at a storage facility that I have 24/7 access. They have a full wash bay with dripless rinse water spray bay with all of the soaps/wax , filtered water, ice machines, air compressor, shop vac and dump station. I can not store it at my home because of an HOA rule. The facility is about 15 miles from my home. They offer covered storage but it is very expensive monthly($850 month for a 40 foot spot). I'll stick with the outside storage space($220 month). I too wash it both before and after every trip plus I inspect the roof a couple of times annually.

Paul
Old 03-29-2021, 04:06 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Ours is stored in our backyard, we cover it during the winter but during the summer it’s uncovered. The front cap gets the worse of the sun and shows the most sun scorching. But it’s not bad and got the price it’s great. We are like you and don’t get to be out as much as I would like.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:01 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
Stored at the house. Put up a full sided carport cover for about $5k. I am blown away by the storage costs noted, $220 a month! Not a fan of the covers as they are a pain to put on, take off and store. In wet climates I not sure the covers actually help. Had a Jayco bumper tow which we covered regularly and had some pretty bad delamination after a few years. The cost of covers are crazy too and typically got maybe 2 seasons out of it before needing replaced due to damage. Metal carport if you have room!

And we live in a regular old neighborhood with no HOA.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210322_191856.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	29455
Old 03-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Bottom line..... in-door storage is the only way to go IMHO.

After the horror stories over the years of mice destroying coaches...... snow, ice and other storm damage.... break-ins at storage facilities, etc., I decided I needed to protect my investment by building a pole building to store my Magnitude SV34... even though that was a sizeable investment in it's own right.

I spend more than half my time in FL but between the heat and intense sunlight, there was no way I was going to keep it stored here. The rest of my time I spend in PA or traveling so I built the pole building there and keep the coach stored in the winter and when not traveing.

It is a fully enclosed building that is 40'L x 16'H x 16'W with a man door and a 12'W x 14" garage door and a concrete floor. I ran 50A service but no water. I am very pleased with it and it protect the coach, keeps it cleaner and makes it eaiser to prep for trips or do repairs / upgrades. I have a camera in the building and two in the coach to keep an eye on things when I am not there.

I have since added some shelving and store all of my RV related stuff in it for the most part. The coach has been safely parked away there since I got it back from the Thor Factory Service Center in December. We are heading back north in mid-May and I will winterize it then and do some more planned upgrades.

We went back north in February for our annual snowmobile trips. While we were there I changed the oil in it during a 50 degree day. It was nice laying on the concrete to do it and not the stones in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 5.51.28 AM.png
Views:	73
Size:	1,012.6 KB
ID:	29456  
Old 03-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Yes I am also taken aback by $220/mo storage fee. I pay $850 per year for outside storage, about $70 per month.

David
Old 03-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #10

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I got 9 yards of 3/4 stone and spread it out to make a pad 28 feet long and 10 feet wide. I rented a compactor and compacted and then 3 yard of stone dust and then compacted again. It makes a hard surface and has stood up for 3 years with no problems. In the fall I lay down boards where the tires are and then cover it until spring, actually taking the cover off today
Coveman2
Old 03-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 22RBS
State: South Carolina
THOR #22235
I don't know why you think an improvement like an rv port would degrade your property value. That is like saying a garage will lower your value. An rv port that is fully enclosed or just a top is an improvement and with the proper permits ( if you are in a local jurisdiction ) it is an asset that will save you money in the long run and allow you to have the rig safe at home and not at the mercy of the druggies that invade storage lots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DE55D058-3D65-4E94-81B3-5A472A95DA24.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	29458  

2018 Ram 1500, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Two of us, two Jacks and a desire to roam!
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We recently purchased a park model RV in a RV resort outside Myrtle Beach. They have a gated and fenced in storage area with cameras when the storage fee is 2.00 per day. We park model owners get an assigned spot for 1.00 per day. Needless to say their storage lot is full.

The only issue I have with it is access is only allowed when the campground office is open and they have unlocked the gate.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:33 AM   #13

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Indoors and dry in a storage facility. Had a heck of a time finding a stall large enough for 41 feet in the Salt Lake Valley.
Gary

GVP
Old 03-30-2021, 06:04 AM   #14

THOR #20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty.Deuce View Post
As still working folks & parents of school-aged kids, we're infrequent low-mileage RV'ers ... like 3-wks a year if we're lucky. Regardless, family situations make RV'ing the best vacationing choice for us vs. hotels.

Since 2006, I was fortunate to have indoor dry storage for my RV('s) (an old cotton warehouse) at a very reasonable rate. Unless we were using or maintaining the RV, it didn't see the light of day. It showed too .. when we sold our last it looked near-new.

Literally weeks after purchasing our current A.C.E. 30.2, the owner of our storage spot sold the warehouse & we got kicked out ... the RV has been in our driveway ever since.

Storing the RV in the driveway is not a long-term solution. As well, because of my lot & neighborhood, it would be difficult to build a garage/erect a cover without violating some sort of rule or having it devalue the property. Living in a rural area, I've found no where else to rent a dry-storage spot that's not hours away.

I feel like I'm stuck with the idea of a gravel pad in the side-yard & a fabric cover .... or, either just getting out of the RV as I'm not really willing to let the sun take its toll 365-days a year on such an asset.

I could be wrong but the original posting is a open discussion on what fellow RVers do for storage options and for ideas. As we all seem to have various reasons for storing our RVs one way or another, a important factor to consider is cost. This is not noted in many posts. I appreciate the folks who include this information as it seems highly relevant when discussing options and ideas.

A fabric cover $350-500 and replaced 2-4years.

Outdoor storage lot $150-250 a month.

Indoor storage $500-1000 a month.

RV garage $70k.

Etc.....
Old 03-30-2021, 06:05 AM   #15

THOR #20441
The dollars i noted above are simply guesses and do not reflect actual prices.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #16
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
We purchased a house in an RV Community in Tennessee that is geared for RV living. Each house has 1-3 Garages with either 1 or 2 being an RV garage. We bought an older home that has only one garage. It's 15 Wide X 65 Feet deep.
When we retired in 2018 we thought of getting an RV but I would not get one without having at the least an overhang to cover it at all times. Living in Florida and now even in Tennessee, I see the damage the sun causes in a very short time. These toys are way too expensive to leave out in the sun deteriorating in no time.

https://gardensrvvillage.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garage 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	29485  
Old 03-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
All good info; thank you!

It makes me realize how good I had it w/ my prior indoor storage spot ... I was only paying $65 /mo! Electricity, 24-hr access, building alarm, n'all! Too bad for me the building was sold ... in my opinion, indoor storage is the only way to go if you want to keep any sort of value in your unit.

It seems that although RV's are built to live outdoors, their not "built" to live outdoors.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty.Deuce View Post
[snip]
We store ours in the paved RV parking lot with a 50 amp pedestal located about 1/4 mile from our house in the Village. The cost is $50 per month. One of the perks of living in a certified CCRC.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:30 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
April to November: ours sits at home with us on it's own pad...
For the Off-Season: we store it at the Dealership. It only costs us $100 for the entire time it's there.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #20

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Ours is stored next to our house. We are the only house in our community (HOA controlled) that have an RV parked in the property. When we are looking for our house in a planned community, we specifically looked for a corner lot. We submitted a written offer to purchase to the BUILDER and the HOA about our intention to purchase a house, on the corner lot. Our condition (in writing) was that we will purchase the property and build the house (IF they allow us to park our RV next to the house, IF they let us build a driveway and IF they let us install a gate leading to the driveway). Both HOA and BUILDER approved our request. Couple of weeks after we moved in (5 years ago), we knocked down the front wall and backed in our motorhome. While waiting for the new gate to be installed, the front wall was temporarily replaced with a chicken wire fencing. We got a nasty warning letter from the HOA. Those idiots! They forgot they gave me a WRITTEN APPROVAL.

We would like to have one of those covers that Martian have. But I will have to fight a long battle with the HOA on that one.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote