Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #2442
Will adding an inverter decrease value??

Hi
I am contemplating modifying one of the electrical circuits (the one with the TV's on it). To come from either an inverter, or external AC. (by a switch).
I am an electrical engineer with 40 years of experience, so other than the crawling on my back problem it is not hard or complex. I would make documents of the wiring changes, and label the electrical plugs, and give location and capacity of the inverter.

The question is, if it wasn't "professionally done" will it be a detriment when it comes to selling?? I.E. will a the buyer (e.g. Camping World) see it as a risk and detriment rather than a reward.
I'd appreciate help from anyone who has experience with this.
Thanks much
D

Old 08-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I really don’t think so unless it was obviously not done correctly. Just like anything most people are either going to like it or hate. But I would imagine most buyers would prefer to have all that already added to the coach and not have the expense of adding it after you buy it
Old 08-06-2020, 12:13 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspixx View Post
Hi
I am contemplating modifying one of the electrical circuits (the one with the TV's on it). To come from either an inverter, or external AC. (by a switch).
I am an electrical engineer with 40 years of experience, so other than the crawling on my back problem it is not hard or complex. I would make documents of the wiring changes, and label the electrical plugs, and give location and capacity of the inverter.

The question is, if it wasn't "professionally done" will it be a detriment when it comes to selling?? I.E. will a the buyer (e.g. Camping World) see it as a risk and detriment rather than a reward.
I'd appreciate help from anyone who has experience with this.
Thanks much
D
Make any wiring as automatic as possible and put any display as close to where the manufacture would put it. I am a retired AE used to trying to please pilots. So, buy an automatic programmable inverter. That is one that is always on unless you remove power from the coach and then turn it off (works like a UPS). Get one with at least a 30 amp pass through relay wired through a sub panel. Such an installation will look factory and actual add to the selling price. You will find most factor wiring harness terminations (wire nuts & butt splices) will not professional, so expect to spend some time making everything look like someone carried.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:57 AM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
A popular inverter install is the AIMS 1200/2000 with auto transfer switch.
Many on this Forum have done this mod with a house two battery bank
When done correctly your inverter is professionally integrated as if it was an OEM option.

Use the search function for AIMs Inverter
It’s a DIY project
All parts are available on Amazon for a reasonable price
Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree with Taylorbob. I did this install a couple of years ago and love it.

I think it would not HURT the value but it might not HELP it either . Just depends on who is purchasing the RV. I say its your RV .... do what you want to it and dont worry about resale. My goal is to do most of my modes so they can be easily reversed and no one would every know you installed it.

But the Aims 1200 inverter is limited. You cannot use on more than one line (I think its rated at 15 amp). Or if you had two lines (frig and TV's plus some outlets) you need to be aware of overloading it. Like no Hair dryers or electic heaters etc or microwave without turning off some other stuff first.

So it would only be like a UPS for one line (not the entire RV) unless you went with like a 3000 watt inverter with 30 amp auto transfer.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

THOR #2442
Thanks Guys

I appreciate the comments.

As we are quite often boondocking for 6 days, my goal is to minimally drain the battery when using the satellite. I do like that some newer RV's are using 12Volt TV's but that still leaves the dish box to power. It does suggest that a solar array would help a lot. I.E. all I need is more $$.
Again, Thanks
David
Old 08-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The projects just never stop coming: do they?
Old 08-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #8

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
THOR #5043
I did this very thing on a 5th wheel (no longer own) and found out that a Modified Sine Inverter must have the neutral wire (white) switched as well as the hot black wire. If not it let's the smoke out of the inverter. A better solution was to install a duplex socket dedicated to the TV from the inverter. Does not solve the shore power or generator problem.

From another retired Electrical Engineer.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:33 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When I’ve traded in an RV they never even look at it. Just some sort of book value. For a private sale I’d say you would be adding value as long as the work is well done.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Hopefully you didn't buy a RV as an investment?
If so I hate to inform you that you lost about 30% the day you bought it once the rear bumper cleared the dealers driveway.. I think you'll also find at the time of trading or selling to a private party that it's only valuable to you & worth next to nothing to them. I've traded 3 times, every time the dealer quoted a price for my trade in sight unseen, year & model was their only question.
Do ALL the modifications you want to make it work for you & give no concern to the next guy.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:21 AM   #11

THOR #2442
to travellin Texans, Pete, Bob and camperguy

Thanks all,
Yes what you say is true. I appreciate. They just quote sight unseen. What we add we do for ourselves.

David
Old 08-07-2020, 05:25 AM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspixx View Post
I appreciate the comments.

As we are quite often boondocking for 6 days, my goal is to minimally drain the battery when using the satellite. I do like that some newer RV's are using 12Volt TV's but that still leaves the dish box to power. It does suggest that a solar array would help a lot. I.E. all I need is more $$.
Again, Thanks
David
small Inverter to just a few outlets like TV's very common in many Rv's and they come from the factory that way. No 12 volt TV needed. An outlet next to the bed for a cpap machine works well also. I won't hold your choice of professions against you.:thumb :
Old 08-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
Cavie,
Are you sure electrical engineer is a choice? I figured third year of school they had to put down for a major something they could spell?
Gotta love them when they can talk on your level though!
Old 08-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #14

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
It may increase the value of the rv, unless it was a sloppy job.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:18 AM   #15

State: Illinois
THOR #2402
I would argue that there are so many deviations from “normal“ in any given RV that no one would ever know the difference especially if you leave instructions

Tags
inverter wiring, valuation