Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Actually at the going rate $10k would get you closer to 100kWh in autmotive Li Ion batteries.

I would point out that this is the first (maybe last ? LOL) but still it takes a first (and a 2nd and 3rd iteration) before something gets inexpensive enough for the masses.

I was being kind at $200. Your number makes idea look even worse..

Agree with R&D time, but at some level we have to question basic goals. The main reason I can see to integrate solar into an awning is if owner wants more capacity than he/she can install on roof. However, even small Class C like Winnebago EKKO comes with 455 Watts of solar, and I have seen vans with 1,000 Watts, so the vast majority of RV owners do not yet need to expand from roof to awning.

Another funny feature of ad picture is that there is no solar on roof.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I was being kind at $200. Your number makes idea look even worse..

Agree with R&D time, but at some level we have to question basic goals. The main reason I can see to integrate solar into an awning is if owner wants more capacity than he/she can install on roof. However, even small Class C like Winnebago EKKO comes with 455 Watts of solar, and I have seen vans with 1,000 Watts, so the vast majority of RV owners do not yet need to expand from roof to awning.

Another funny feature of ad picture is that there is no solar on roof.
Yup I was well aware of that (making the comparison worse).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:37 AM   #23
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Great until the first big gust of wind destroys the awning and panels. Boy you might need a big insurance rider to cover it.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:54 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Not Duck Seal Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Upon a second casual thought, just a slight two second thought by a casual observer who owns an awning:

It's stupid. Maybe worse.
Not Duck Seal Approved. I will pass
Attached Images

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #25
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
$10,000.00 = Government (Climate) subsidies. Prices always go up when subsidies are involved. Just like back in (around) 2008. Your going to see a lot of these companies come out of the woodwork. (climate) Monies a commin.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #26

Model: Quantum JM31
THOR #21926
When you guys come up with an RV compatible fuel cell that replaces my generator and uses a readily available fuel I am in, even for $10K.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #27

Model: Quantum JM31
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
$10,000.00 = Government (Climate) subsidies. Prices always go up when subsidies are involved. Just like back in (around) 2008. Your going to see a lot of these companies come out of the woodwork. (climate) Monies a commin.
I think the only way that China skunked us into moving so much of our manufacturing off shore was by using subsidies where their government helped defer some of the cost of manufacturing. Its nice to say you want less government but when playing on the world scale you have to expect your competition to cheat. If we are going to bring manufacturing back home we need to do more than traffics. In my opinion traffics just move the water around in the balloon.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
I think the only way that China skunked us into moving so much of our manufacturing off shore was by using subsidies where their government helped defer some of the cost of manufacturing. Its nice to say you want less government but when playing on the world scale you have to expect your competition to cheat. If we are going to bring manufacturing back home we need to do more than traffics. In my opinion traffics just move the water around in the balloon.
It was really pretty simple... no "skunks" needed. China just used the same government "corporate welfare" subsidy strategy that has been used for YEARS in the U.S. - like the ones used to build sports arenas, lure Amazon warehouses, etc. Oh... and don't forget that ultra-cheap labor. Funny how I didn't get a "20 year tax deferment" from the local government when I moved to my current house...
Old 11-28-2021, 04:59 AM   #29

State: California
THOR #19337
I like the idea, not the cost. The awning would be a problem in So Cal because when I need the solar I've installed it's often in the desert with high winds, too high to have the awning out.