Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: Georgia
THOR #21169
Winter Use

We have generally stayed out in our Quantum KM24 for extended periods. Our next trip will last into winter, possibly as late as February in a moderately cold location (some days below freezing). Several items have come up that don't seem to be covered in the owners literature.

BTW, our coach is on a 2018 Mercedes chassis with the V6 diesel. A very nice driving combination. We have a 2013 Honda Fit for a 4 down toad.

The KM24 has switches for tank heaters for black and grey tanks, but no such for the fresh water tank. We haven't figured out if these tank heaters actually function and what temperature range they might be good for. Anyone have experience with this?

Are there any glaring problems with other cold weather functionality? Anyone have frozen pipes or tanks? Does the old trick of having a trickle of water running help? How about a shower in cold weather?

Does the genset start readily? How about antifreeze in the generator?

Enough questions for one post, thanks to all.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The tank heaters typically come on when temps are below 40F. The don't get really hot, only really have to keep the tanks above freezing anyway.

Fresh water tank is usually inside the heated area of the coach and thus if you're warm its warm.

If you keep the coach warm enough for you then you shouldn't experience any frozen pipes. I'd pick up a gallon or two of RV antifreeze and dump some down the drains after emptying the waste tanks--the tank heaters work on the tanks but not on the valve area. Having a bit of antifreeze in there will give you a bit of extra insurance.

Keep an electric heater handy: You'll go through a lot of propane. Using an electric heater to supplement that will save some propane.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum.
Perhaps adding a heated hose to your city water hookup?
Old 11-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #4

Model: Quantum
State: Georgia
THOR #21169
Thanks. We do have a heated hose for the "city water," but that doesn't heat the water in the tanks.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I didn't know...
How cold do you expect the temperatures to get?
Will it warm up above freezing during the day?
Old 11-10-2020, 03:16 AM   #6

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Texas
THOR #20234
We're getting down to 20 degrees at Zion National Park tonight. First time for me. I'm geting ready to go disconnect the city water, turn the tank heaters on and run an electric heater with the sink cabinet door open for the under sink plumbing..... fingers crossed.

Tags
quantum, winter