Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2023, 02:16 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Ford E-Series Upgrade Being Tested

Ford is updating E-Series again, a surprising development considering they announced it was being discontinued many years ago.

Photo of vehicle being tested by Ford shows a new grille, and also that it is equipped with 215/75R17.5 commercial tires, so maybe there is a significant GVWR increase on the way. If so, it would make 30~32 Class Cs more functional and with adequate OCCC. Obviously, Ford may be upgrading tire load capacity solely for safety reasons, but I doubt that’s the case. I expect GVWR may exceed present maximum of 14,500 pounds.

This upgrade could fill gap between present E-450 and Super Cs built on F-550, rated at 19,500 pounds.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/fo...or-first-time/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	929A7227-5815-4B12-8FDF-C35473B09AB2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	41008  

Old 02-23-2023, 02:26 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Thanks for sharing! That is very interesting!

One of the biggest weaknesses with the E-Series has been the 16" wheels and trying to find tires designed for full-time heavy loads vs LT tires. More 16" options have become available the pasty few years but the 17.5" wheels is a game changer. And I agree that should help lead to GVWR's over 14,500.

That may also mean better suspensions with much better ride quality and handling vs today's E-Series and needing to install better sway bars, Sumo Springs, etc.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:21 PM   #3

THOR #2121
If Ford plans to keep E-Series around much longer, it makes sense to me that it start sharing even more with F-350 and F-450, if for no other reason than to lower costs due to much higher component volumes.

E-Series, as an example, is the only Ford vehicle I’m aware of that hasn’t been converted to metric lug pattern on wheels, making them and brake rotors unique to E-Series. An upgrade to F-Series suspension could improve ride and handling without adding costs; may even reduce them. Granted, F-Series doesn’t use 17.5-inch wheels and tires either, but I expect there is more cost savings to be gained in other areas like sharing axles, brakes, etc. if that is their goal. Who knows what they are planning?

About 20 years ago Ford had an E-550 heavier-duty variant for about 2 model years that went up to 19,500-pound GVWR. Even if they limit E-Series to a Class 4 (E-450), I believe GVWR can still be increased to at least 16,000 pounds.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
It looks like they've stretched the front out a bit, moving the engine a little forward. This will give more leg room and help eliminate the roasting of driver and passenger and it should reduce the noise level. Maybe they've eliminated the doghouse all together.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:33 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I would say a refreshed E series is a plus for the RV industry.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 03:10 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I would say a refreshed E series is a plus for the RV industry.

And one that’s needed.

I personally believe motorhomes have become too expensive for many traditional buyers, and also that Class Cs offer an opportunity for RV manufacturers to build more affordable rigs if they choose to do so. Granted, there are some basic Cs available in the market today, but most are very old floor plan designs because manufacturers have not invested much in new creative budget rigs.

Latest data shows that the previously hot Class B van camper market started cooling off, probably in part because costs went crazy. When demand was high, and van chassis were in short supply, manufacturers focused attention on highest price units. The idea that so many van campers could succeed with close to $200,000 prices is foolish. Short-term profits made sense, but it wasn’t sustainable, particularly with higher interest rates.

An upgraded E-350 may be just what the industry needs to create new and exciting designs starting around $100,000 after discounts.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #7

THOR #11130
The cab and chassis cost alone is nearly $80K. It order to build a $100K rig, they better find a way to make them chesp...oh...that's right...they already have!
Old 03-01-2023, 07:31 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The cab and chassis cost alone is nearly $80K. …..cut…..

Those are just Mercedes prices. Ford are half that.

Seriously though, building a compact Class C should cost about same or less than a van camper. Manufacturers should build more units “similar” in concept to your Jayco 24NP but on E-350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800A0F9F-C1DD-4BAD-9D15-493B0113E925.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	41086  
Old 03-01-2023, 11:08 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Those are just Mercedes prices. Ford are half that.

Seriously though, building a compact Class C should cost about same or less than a van camper. Manufacturers should build more units “similar” in concept to your Jayco 24NP but on E-350.
The newly designed E350 with the V6 diesel would be a hit on a smaller 24-26 footer! They could tap into the captive market that Mercedes controls. I think this mid-size Class C is the future.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:42 AM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
An upgraded E series would be nice. If they could get a little more payload would be nice. We have 32 foot class c and wish it had a little more capacity. It kind of sucks that you have to upgrade to a super C or a class A.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The newly designed E350 with the V6 diesel would be a hit on a smaller 24-26 footer! They could tap into the captive market that Mercedes controls. I think this mid-size Class C is the future.

Ford has discontinued all diesels in USA market except for the large Power Stroke V8. The 3.0L V6 diesel was last used in F-150 but discontinued after 2021 Model Year. Before that Ford discontinued 3.2L Inline-5 diesel in Transit vans. I don’t see E-Series getting a diesel at all.

Mercedes may control diesel van and cutaway RV markets, but overall is struggling with Sprinter sales in part because diesel is a shrinking market.

Back to Ford E-350/450, they announced discontinuing the “Economy” version of the 7.3L Godzilla V8 offered only in E-Series, and there is speculation that Ford will likely make the 6.8L V8 the base (low cost) engine choice; though I doubt that will improve RV fuel economy much.

With gas being so much cheaper than diesel fuel at present, it is unlikely Ford would invest in bringing a diesel to E-Series. It could happen due to commercial sales, but I think it is highly unlikely.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:36 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
An upgraded E series would be nice. If they could get a little more payload would be nice. We have 32 foot class c and wish it had a little more capacity. It kind of sucks that you have to upgrade to a super C or a class A.

We should know more before long. “IF” Ford upgrades E-Series beyond 14,500-pound rating, I wonder if the present E-450 frame will also need upgrading? Replacing axles and tires is relatively easy, but a stronger and stiffer frame, if required, could be a greater challenge from cost standpoint.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
We should know more before long. “IF” Ford upgrades E-Series beyond 14,500-pound rating, I wonder if the present E-450 frame will also need upgrading? Replacing axles and tires is relatively easy, but a stronger and stiffer frame, if required, could be a greater challenge from cost standpoint.
Maybe not. Fabricating the frame with slightly thicker steel, and/or adding gussets at high stress points, could easily increase GVWR by 10-15%.

I also would welcome 17.5” tires on even the 12,500 lb E350 chassis as that could lower tire pressure as well as provide more vertical “spring” to the tires, both of which should improve the ride quality.

David
Old 03-02-2023, 09:02 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Maybe not. Fabricating the frame with slightly thicker steel, and/or adding gussets at high stress points, could easily increase GVWR by 10-15%.

I also would welcome 17.5” tires on even the 12,500 lb E350 chassis as that could lower tire pressure as well as provide more vertical “spring” to the tires, both of which should improve the ride quality.

David

The difference between E-350 and E-450 Cutaway frame specifications is slightly thicker steel. E-350 frame is 0.228 inches thick for a section modulus of 5.73, and E-450 is 0.248 inches for a section modulus of 6.40 inch^3.

If Ford tooling has capability, I suppose they could fabricate even thicker frame rails. If only looking to add extra +/- 10%, it wouldn’t take much extra thickness.

The other thing Ford could do is use stronger steel. All E-Series, and F-53 at 22,000 GVWR or lower, are made from 36,000 psi mild steel. However, F-53 at 24,000 and 26,000 GVWR are made with 50,000 PSI steel. While this would not address frame flex, it would address additional stress.

By the way, commercial tires normally ride harsher, in part due to their higher design pressure and heavier weight (stiffer tire). The 17.5 tires are slightly larger in diameter which helps, but overall I don’t expect a smoother ride from tires themselves.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:38 AM   #15

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Would be nice, our coach is the perfect size for us now, might grow out of it a little when the kids get older but by the time they aren’t going with us it will be the perfect size again. I just hate that we are so close to the max.