Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Virginia
THOR #26801
WOW is all I can say

Good day everyone,

We have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37 LX which we have had for about 9 months and made 3 short trip in it. So last weekend we had planned a week stay in Kennebunk ME from Virginia Beach.

We drove about 7 hours on day one and stopped for the night. After I got my first cup of coffee at 4:30 AM I decided to hit the road, but WAIT...The headlight are not on. All of the inside and running lights work great. So I figured this would be the perfect time to get another cup of coffee and watch some of the local news.

The second day went great and the week up there was AWESOME and had a great time. However, while up there something is catching or backing up the front toilet so just a PITA.

Now day one of the return trip we leave about 9:30 AM and about 2 hours in the auto leveling is showing an error (Retraction time Error). Not sure what was going on I checked again to make sure the leveling is up, which they were.

A few hours later the rain starts so I turn on the head lights, which are working great and after about 6 swipes of the wipers, the right ones starts going to it's own beat and the left and right wipers are not getting along at this point in time so I have to turn them off and drive without wipers. Luckily I had applied some Rain-X before we left.

So we stop after getting thru some TERRIBLE NYC traffic and thought I would take a look at the auto level system and tried to clear the error and out of no where they start to retract which I figured was no big deal until I went outside and say all of the fluid in now on the ground.

Got up early the next day and made it home safe and in one piece. Things I am doing before the next trip though is to install magnetic drawer/door latches because those thing opening every hours in also a PITA.

Today I got a new front return line made for the auto leveling and that is back to working again. Went and tightened the right wiper arm and told it the left wiper in the lead and it must follow it's lead.

Still have to find out what's up with the lights but they are working so it's hard to troubleshoot.

Thanks for listening.

sidekick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekick41 View Post
Good day everyone,

We have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37 LX which we have had for about 9 months and made 3 short trip in it. So last weekend we had planned a week stay in Kennebunk ME from Virginia Beach.

We drove about 7 hours on day one and stopped for the night. After I got my first cup of coffee at 4:30 AM I decided to hit the road, but WAIT...The headlight are not on. All of the inside and running lights work great. So I figured this would be the perfect time to get another cup of coffee and watch some of the local news.

The second day went great and the week up there was AWESOME and had a great time. However, while up there something is catching or backing up the front toilet so just a PITA.

Now day one of the return trip we leave about 9:30 AM and about 2 hours in the auto leveling is showing an error (Retraction time Error). Not sure what was going on I checked again to make sure the leveling is up, which they were.

A few hours later the rain starts so I turn on the head lights, which are working great and after about 6 swipes of the wipers, the right ones starts going to it's own beat and the left and right wipers are not getting along at this point in time so I have to turn them off and drive without wipers. Luckily I had applied some Rain-X before we left.

So we stop after getting thru some TERRIBLE NYC traffic and thought I would take a look at the auto level system and tried to clear the error and out of no where they start to retract which I figured was no big deal until I went outside and say all of the fluid in now on the ground.

Got up early the next day and made it home safe and in one piece. Things I am doing before the next trip though is to install magnetic drawer/door latches because those thing opening every hours in also a PITA.

Today I got a new front return line made for the auto leveling and that is back to working again. Went and tightened the right wiper arm and told it the left wiper in the lead and it must follow it's lead.

Still have to find out what's up with the lights but they are working so it's hard to troubleshoot.

Thanks for listening.
From the light switch wiring goes into the steering wheel wiring were the headlight switch is located and the turn signal selector switch is located. If you have no high or low beams it is usually a wiring problem. Those circuits have an auto resetting CB and not a fuse.
The windshield wiper linkages are a known problem on the 2014 to 2017 Thor MC larger class A coaches.

"Thor Motor Coach (TMC) is recalling 1,105 model year 2014-2016 Ace, Challenger, Daybreak, Hurricane, Miramar, Outlaw, Windsport, Palazzo, Tuscany, and Tuscany XTE motorhomes. The windshield system is installed or secured incorrectly, which could cause the wipers to fail. Although some of the vehicles included in this recall have previously been remedied under recalls 17V-096 or 17V-162, the vehicles may need additional repairs under this campaign."
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sounds like you found (almost) all the issues the previous owners failed to correct.

Wiper issue is well known and I believe there's a recall on it.

Levelers "Jack Down" indication is caused by loss of pressure in the "jacks Up" hydraulic line. That was probably when your line sprung a leak.

There is a lot of discussion of problems with curb side toilets backing up. Short answer is, use lots of water as you are dropping onto the shallow end of that black tank and it's easy to cerate a poo/TP mountain which hinders draining.

Not sure about the headlights and you are right - hard to troubleshoot an intermittent problem when it's not rearing its ugly head. You might want to shoot the parts canon at the headlight relay - it may be sticking and they are cheap.

Otherwise, welcome to the MH life!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Once visited with an old fella in a nursing home. When I got ready to leave I asked if he needed any help with anything before I left. He said, "I don't need any help doing nothing".

All that to say, at least you're not just sitting around doing nothing!
God's best as you get your get your issues ironed out.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #5

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
You said a lot more than WOW.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
RVs ae the perfect DIY project...

...For people who would rather be doing nothing!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Congratulations. You have begun the eye opening, YouTube learning experience of owning a motorhome. Glad you’re up to the challenge. Many aren’t. Every trip out will be a joyous occasion of wonderful scenery, a lot of expletives, and bloody knuckles. Enjoy!
Old 10-22-2022, 08:10 PM   #8

State: Indiana
THOR #14657
I had the same issue with my headlights. They would flicker and then they went out. The dash lights also went out. It was a grounding issue. Open the hood and look to the bottom right. There should be a frame arm to the right of the washer fluid reservoir. The arm attaches the front of the coach to the chassis. On the arm there should be some wires that are attached using a bolt. The wires lead to the headlights. Make sure the bolt is tight to the frame.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:37 AM   #9

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Also Vb Thor owner

Hey side kick, I am also a Thor owner, 2016 ace and live in Vb.