Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2021, 12:18 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 5
THOR #25103
Xantrex 1800 issue

This is my 2 nd day into 1st trip in my four winds 31w. Got to first stop and my inverter was beeping and flashing E02 code. I have it on whilst driving due to residential fridge. Does this code mean my 2 house batteries are draining while on the road and my alternator is not charging them. Help please

__________________
English Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trophy1200's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
Posts: 107
THOR #22490
Does your model have a use/store switch for the coach 12V supplies.

If it does, did you have it switched to use?
__________________
Kev

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
No toad YET
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:06 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,057
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Lee View Post
This is my 2 nd day into 1st trip in my four winds 31w. Got to first stop and my inverter was beeping and flashing E02 code. I have it on whilst driving due to residential fridge. Does this code mean my 2 house batteries are draining while on the road and my alternator is not charging them. Help please
The low battery alarm beeps every second and the display shows fault code E02 alternating with the battery voltage. The status LED turns red and the inverter shuts down to protect the battery from being over-discharged.

Your alternator is not keeping your house batteries charged. To correct this fault will take some trouble shooting, meantime just run the generator.


The first thing to check is the 200 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. Trip it and reset the CB. Second check the alternator output. If you don't carry stop by Autozone Pep Boys, etc and have check the alternator's output. If that is good, check the house battery voltage after the engine has run at 1,500 rpm for 4 minutes or longer. The voltage should be above 13.0 volts if not then the BIRD or BIM may not be working correctly. On a warm day the alternator only has about 70 amps @ 12 volts available for charging the house batteries. If you are using the dash A/C, the fridge goes through a defrost cycle and you house batteries are several years old there may not be sufficient power available to power everything.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:27 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 5
THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Does your model have a use/store switch for the coach 12V supplies.

If it does, did you have it switched to use?

Yes it was on USE
__________________
English Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:25 AM   #5
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 7,291
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Does your model have a use/store switch for the coach 12V supplies.

If it does, did you have it switched to use?
USE/STORE switch is NOT between the chassis and house batteries so it would have no effect on the alternator charging the house batteries,
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,652
THOR #12751
I'm not sure if you have a new or older coach but.....

If it is a newer coach and this is your first time out and it has the BIM160, the BIM could be wired incorrectly. As a result, the alternator won't charge the house batteries properly.

I had a similar issue with my 2020 Magnitude SV34 when it was new along with some other 12V electrical issues. Turns out I found my BIM to be wired incorrecrly from the factory.... and many other Omni / Magbnitude owners found the same thing.

I have posted about this many times. You can read these posts and it might help....

#56

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=56

#58

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=58
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 5
THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
USE/STORE switch is NOT between the chassis and house batteries so it would have no effect on the alternator charging the house batteries,
Thanks for clarifying that....
__________________
English Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 5
THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'm not sure if you have a new or older coach but.....

If it is a newer coach and this is your first time out and it has the BIM160, the BIM could be wired incorrectly. As a result, the alternator won't charge the house batteries properly.

I had a similar issue with my 2020 Magnitude SV34 when it was new along with some other 12V electrical issues. Turns out I found my BIM to be wired incorrecrly from the factory.... and many other Omni / Magbnitude owners found the same thing.

I have posted about this many times. You can read these posts and it might help....

#56

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=56

#58

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=58

It's a 2014, and I have only used generator for power before while using AC while working. When just using batteries for lighting , levellers , slide out and such they have never faltered
__________________
English Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 2,652
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Lee View Post
It's a 2014, and I have only used generator for power before while using AC while working. When just using batteries for lighting , levellers , slide out and such they have never faltered

Then follow Beau's recommendations.

You also didn't say how old your house batteries are but I assume they aren't original. If they are, that could very well be your issue.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 5
THOR #25103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Then follow Beau's recommendations.

You also didn't say how old your house batteries are but I assume they aren't original. If they are, that could very well be your issue.
Yes I was just thinking that... I'll get them tested
__________________
English Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Vegas 25.6
State: Montana
Posts: 1,944
THOR #20220
My BIM failed once fixed all is well..
Look over drive tire area
__________________
Montana Thor Vegas 25.6
Wife and I & 2 Golden Retrievers Happy Campers!!
tandem biking, hiking, tennis, scuba,fishing,skiing
Retired H.S. Principal, National Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Trophy1200's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
Posts: 107
THOR #22490
Sorry but I was working and didnít get chance to come back with follow up questions before others came in to offer advice. I was just trying to help with basics before getting further into the problem.

The reason I asked about the use/store switch was so you could check battery voltage on the Inverter with and without the engine running and didnít mean to imply that the switch had to be on for your coach batteries to be charged with the engine running.
__________________
Kev

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
No toad YET
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,057
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Sorry but I was working and didnít get chance to come back with follow up questions before others came in to offer advice. I was just trying to help with basics before getting further into the problem.

The reason I asked about the use/store switch was so you could check battery voltage on the Inverter with and without the engine running and didnít mean to imply that the switch had to be on for your coach batteries to be charged with the engine running.
If you have a factory installed inverter, it has a separate 100 or 200 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. It is not powered by the 50 amp circuit breaker that powers the power center's 12 volt fuse panel through the battery isolation relay (latching relay).
The inverter, electric starter motor on the generator and the jack's electric motor all will work fine with the house batteries isolated from the coach's power center.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Trophy1200's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
Posts: 107
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you have a factory installed inverter, it has a separate 100 or 200 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. It is not powered by the 50 amp circuit breaker that powers the power center's 12 volt fuse panel through the battery isolation relay (latching relay).
The inverter, electric starter motor on the generator and the jack's electric motor all will work fine with the house batteries isolated from the coach's power center.
So you will be able to monitor the battery voltage on the inverter display even with the use switch off. I guess thatís what youíre saying as long as itís a factory installed inverter.
__________________
Kev

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
No toad YET
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,057
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
So you will be able to monitor the battery voltage on the inverter display even with the use switch off. I guess thatís what youíre saying as long as itís a factory installed inverter.
Yep, Inverter works, jacks work and generator starts with coach's house battery disconnect relay in the store position.. That is why there are three different positive battery cable connected to the house battery bank.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 831
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Lee View Post
Yes I was just thinking that... I'll get them tested
If you have the "old school" flooded batteries (with caps, NOT sealed - maintenance free), you can check the health of your batteries yourself.

Get a battery hydrometer - about $5 at auto parts stores. It's easy to check the density of the electrolyte in each battery cell. This will tell you if you possibly have one or more dead cells.

Another problem is if the batteries haven't been "tended" well, they may have irreparable sulfate damage. The symptoms are a seemingly fully charged battery which discharges very quickly... or possibly stops charging completely. MANY batteries meet an early demise due to this.

If your BIM is wired correctly and your alternator output is sufficient, I'd look at the batteries. A residential fridge draws a decent amount of current - so do the math... make SURE your battery bank can handle the load.

When you get your issue resolved, to prevent getting back into the same predicament, (if you haven't already ) plan and execute a battery charging/maintenance strategy to keep your batteries healthy.
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e02

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2